Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

eonblue174 posted:

Such a fun game! I vastly underrated the keyword for reuse if kill monster, it's an absolute slayer when you have lots of Lil enemies

Dancer's AoE rampage with any amount of damage upgrades is completely insane. You can deal so much damage to everything as long as your Dancer's HP holds out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I like that guide quite a bit for the most part; the only thing I really disagree with is on Priestess. It's really not an uncommon situation to have 3+ heroes all dying at the same time, and it's a situation that priestess excels at.

Everything else is pretty solid advice I feel.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Full blue is ludicrous, because man those classes are balanced around only having one of them.

By the endgame, every character contributes a bunch of mana, and you have a class that can deal 2 + mana damage, a class that can double your current mana, a class that lets you reuse a different class' die, and 5 different spells to spend your 40 mana you just made in one turn.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think a 2 damage copycat would be busted on Spellblade. Then you start getting into sides you really only see on tier 3 heroes: 2 damage poison, 2 damage cleave, 2 damage weaken. 1 damage copycat might not be super exciting but it's versatile.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mend sets a hero's current HP to 3. If for some godforsaken reason they have less than 3 max HP it'll set their max HP to 3 as well.

Incidentally, I haven't noticed that much of an increase in difficulty? There are definitely more monsters with more gimmicks but it feels like you just gotta have a balanced team able to react to many situations. And IMO, the state of items are way better. Feels like there's a ton more stuff that's directly useful or just interacts with heroes better.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tann posted:

I can't stop myself, I'm probably supposed to be fixing bugs but I just added the most complex keyword yet to my dev version-

You've got a very "everything including the kitchen sink" style of game design and I'm here for it

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

In that screenshot the heart side doesn't actually have triple (it should be a small 3 in the bottom left corner). Are you sure it didn't get removed through like, an item interaction?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, the more I think about it, I think what happened is that you put the Three-Of-A-Kind in item slot 1 and an item that gave Caldera the heart side in item slot 2. Meaning, you modified the existing side with triple...and then replaced it entirely with a Heal 2 Vitality.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I feel like scoundrel works out okay most of the time because (a)it's early game and things probably aren't tough yet, (b)vulnerability is truly a really good keyword, and (c)any items that add sides make him rocket upwards in usefulness.

...but yeah even then I'd rather have any of the other rogues. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Incidentally, thinking of weird grey heroes, I absolutely love the twins. My last run I didn't even have them equipped with great items, just worn arms and simplicity, and even there they dish out 4-6 combined shields/damage per turn. You could get some great use out of them with like, Broadsword + Triple Shuriken for example.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Started a hard run with the golden cache blessing. Thought I might be throwing but look at what I've got by round 4:

:getin:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FZeroRacer posted:

my main opinion of the update so far is that it's really good, but I feel like a few of the new enemies are really overturned.

namely Gnolls. They hit extremely hard, are very tanky, can straight up wall out some builds and their low HP let's them avoid duck under attacks with heavy.

Honestly I find Gnolls to be perfectly fine. They do a lot of damage but at a cost (either hitting the healthiest hero or skipping a turn), and while their defense is obnoxious, as long as you can deal at least 2 damage (which a ton of heroes can) they don't have any more HP than a Wolf or Crone. They might slightly devalue heroes like the juggler, but I think that's fine, not every hero is optimal in every situation.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Not an empty quote. heavy is a trap.

Honestly I think heavy is fine, there are plenty of fights where a strong heavy attack will simply solve it for you. You just also really desperately need heavy to not be your only option.

I guess I'm thinking of Bash in particular for that. The 5 damage heavies are nice but when you really need something else both the 7 damage exert and stun are really solid sides. The 2 damage steel is a bit more situational but you can absolutely pop off with the right combo. Good hero.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

Given how important finishing off enemies is, limiting your target selection is very bad. That's why ranged things are almost always the best choice.

:shrug: Heavy sides frequently lead to killing things I otherwise wouldn't be able to because of their high damage. I feel like I get a lot of use out of them.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just had a run with Scales and Wandcraft on Druid.

Why yes, thank you, I would love two 10 mana sides on this die.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 9, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God, I just had an Unfair run that I almost finished. Got a Wanderer with Prism and Monocle, plus a Sharpshooter. End result was a 4 damage quad-use with Engage and Rainbow, and the Sharpshooter could copycat that for a 7 damage quad-use! Unfortunately I rolled poorly enough on The Hand that I just barely lost; he died, but the turn before he did he summoned 3 Sabers. :negative:

My curses for that run were Doom++++, Monster Charged, and Mortal+. Monster Charged and Mortal+ are super super easy to work around. The Doom is what killed me in the end but I'm still pretty glad I took it, it literally never triggered until the final boss (and frankly, I probably should have been able to kill the final boss anyway, I just got really unlucky).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dr. Stab posted:

Wait, why is monster charged level 3 and - 3 max mana level 2?

I think the answer is just that even though at a baseline Charged Monster is better, they interact with other things differently. For example, any +max mana items work very well with -3 max mana, but they don't work with Charged Monster. You also realistically don't want to combo Charged Monster with other mana curses like Forget Burst, or Single Spells.

But yeah in practice all those are pretty negligible and I'd rather just have Charged Monster for that extra curse point. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God I finally did it, I finally squeaked out an unfair win

In some ways I feel like new unfair is easier? Like it's still plenty difficult, but the randomized curses means sometimes you luck into something that's really manageable. This feels like one of those cases: Monster Column +1 is rarely too much of a problem, Pain Edges is fine as long as you change your hero picks to de-emphasize the edges, and Revive 3 hp is basically nothing. For some Tier 1 heroes, you'll even revive with more HP than normal.

I don't feel like I got particularly overpowered either. Eccentric with Dumbbell and Duvet is admittedly a real solid 8 damage a turn, and Ace seems like it would be really powerful but I literally never managed to trigger Pair or Triple, so he was in effect just Evoker+. My fight against the hand ended up real down to the wire, with only 3 heroes alive. All in all, I felt pretty powerful but never like my victory was guaranteed.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I almost wonder if mortal should just have its own icon on the die in some way. Make the bar like jagged or broken, or something?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It's a matter of familiarity. Knowing which classes and items are generally good/bad, knowing which classes and items become good/bad based on other classes and items, knowing how to handle different bosses, knowing how far you can push your luck with rolls (generally speaking, more conservative play is better), etc.

The most important things (that I think were mentioned upthread but deserve repeating) are don't spend savable mana unless it saves a character/kills something important (like by preventing a summon side from going off) and don't overshield if you can help it. Also cleanse sides are the most important sides, you need at least one source of cleanse (even if it forces a suboptimal red or gray class pick) if you want to succeed in the later levels.

Just keep playing and soon you'll be looping curse runs multiple times every go.

Honestly since cleanse got nerfed I really don't think you need it in literally every team now. It's still useful (and a fantastic reason to pick Doctor) but getting a cleanse 2 cleave doesn't go anywhere near as far as it used to. There are plenty of other options worth considering between dodges, redirects, revives, stuns, and just plain old damage.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 14, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's why you also gotta have someone with a cantrip revive.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

On the other hand, spells that say "replace all blank sides" totally replaces exert.

Or for that matter, I bet duplicate works (though I don't think I've tried it).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

someone awful. posted:

does the Stasis item that prevents dice faces from changing, stop single-use sides from getting used up? i took a different item instead because i was a coward and now i'm curious

Yes absolutely, I had this on an artificer a few runs back and it ruled.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The achievement got updated to "Clear the Tartarus fight with no dead heroes" sl any form of revive shenanigans works just fine.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think someone in this thread pointed out that Fly is pure upside if used on a side that naturally already has decay. Paper is a funny one for adding the keyword nothing (does nothing), but you might be able to finangle that on a rainbow side.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

redleader posted:

psa: if you're playing cursed (or blursed), you might be offered an item choice of "a level X or a level X item". one of the Xs will be purple. this is not a bug, as i'd assumed - rather, the chance is between a level X item and a cursed level X item. be aware, as this is very unpleasant to find out the hard way

hexia really shuts down my blow-off-steam team of all blue on easy/medium. is there anything you can do vs hexia with this combo?

I find that as an all blue team, you probably want to prioritize picking up some items that grant you attacks/healing/shields, just to cover your bases. Also, I think if your hero in the bottom slot has a dodge side that'll stop the damage.

If all else fails, 3 blazes from a Warlock will take out Hexia and only kill one of your heroes. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RoboCicero posted:

Overwhelmingly excited to pair this with urn. Enduring is one of the most fun keywords but you just don't see it very often.

There are a lot of keywords that feel pretty rare -- I don't think echo or invigorate exist outside of the level 9/10 items that grant them.

Has anyone gotten good use out of Lich's tome? The downside seems brutal and there's no way to get around it.

I had some fun pairing it with Iron Heart; it's not a combo I want to carry through to the final boss, but I effectively tripled a character's sides in exchange for only acting (and summoning a bones) every other turn.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

...how did you even end up in that situation?

Anyways, you're definitely screwed if you can't make him run away, hope you have some vitality sides

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Alright it's another unfair win! This brings my win rate up to a respectable 10%! :v:

For curses, I really like Monster Left +5. It's a fun curse where it usually does absolutely nothing but if enough monsters roll the left side it can completely brick your run; whenever I got unlucky I was typically able to tank the damage or kill the offending monster, so it turned out alright. Mortal+ is practically free, if you're not completely busted you rarely ever hit it, and Bottom Poison is easy enough to deal with (though it did make me slam pick a monk just for the cleanse).

For heroes, this ended up being a really good set. Everything felt like it combo'd into each other: the wax seal on Sharpshooter meant he would deal 5 damage, which would let the Chronos get 5 mana with Echo, which gave the Poet's charged side +5, which means he can grant 7 damage to the Curator (and himself, incidentally) for his steel side. Admittedly a complicated combo that I only got off once, but all the individual pieces are strong enough that I still had good turns anyway. The Forsaken wasn't really a part of that combo but is an absolutely phenomenal healer, letting me tank many attacks I wouldn't be able to otherwise (including when the Dragon rolled a 10 damage fireball).

Oh and uh, Burning Halo is nice. Usually wasn't much but had one fight where I managed to get 3 saves with the Poet in one turn and completely wiped out all the snipers I was facing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bowl restores your heroes die to its original state, once, at the time when bowl is applied (that is, before combat starts).

It's basically designed to be used with curse items, or something like Pocket Phylactery.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty sure I've only ever taken a challenge because I'm strong enough that the extra enemies don't matter, I've never really seen any must have items in there.

Which on one hand I get, like if I see a prism in there I'd slam pick it every time. But it would be nice if challenges were a little more worth it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think wizard is decent even without any combos, if he hits himself with the perma boost he's got some pretty decent sides. The spells great too.

That being said, he's definitely built around the idea that you'll find some way to exploit that perma boost, and if you're not doing that you're probably better off picking a more specialized mage.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

goferchan posted:

It's got single-use on it and I had a valkyrie so if I ever needed to cast it twice I could just revive her (are single-use spells supposed to be restored upon revive? I guess I just never noticed that interaction before) -- still died on level 19 when I couldn't roll that side after 4 rerolls in a row lol

edit: or was it the Rampage overriding Single-use? Never thought of that
IIRC how those two interact is that you can use the side again, except the side is now an X, so you'll only be able to use it with a duplicate (or hack, gather, glow or whatever else changes sides).

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just got an unfair win not because of a broken item combo, but because Valkyrie + Wraith is an absurd pair. Valkyrie might be my contender for strongest tier 3 Grey, and once you've stopped someone from dying you can just cast Wraith's spell on them completely for free. My curses were 3rd Turn Grave and Pain Sides, relatively easy to handle.

It's funny, because I'd usually rate Wraith as one of the worst tier 3 Reds, but her usefulness skyrockets with Valk.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Ebola Dog posted:

Don't forget the only difference between easy/normal/hard is the blessing/nothing/curse, monster composition etc is otherwise unaffected. That said you shouldn't need to do much to get 12 items, since you will normally get 10 if you pick a single item every time so you only need to pick up 2 extra along the way, or hope you get a blessing on easy that gives you an item to start and then you only need 1 extra. I did it on easy with the blessing that gives you the angle wings item to start with.

You get 9 items normally, not 10. There are 19 total rewards (for beating levels 1-19) and 10 of them are hero upgrades.

That being said, 3 extra items still isn't that much. Kill some mimics, take some challenges, take the double item occasionally...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, you've gotta lose on unfair to get complex hard/easy. Unfair itself is also an unlock for winning Hard.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't think I've ever actually lost to a bramble round, but I've come dangerously close.

He's definitely a reason I'd advocate for just never taking any curses that increase monster durability though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Been seeing a lot of confusion on effect layering so I'd like to remind everyone that there's a hierarchy in the in-game help menu:

I don't think I've found an exception for it yet.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As I understand it, Mana Gain is only a keyword when the side is not already a mana side. So, for example, copycat can copy a side that's 1 Damage Mana-Gain to get the Mana-Gain, but can't copy a 1 Mana side.

It's a bit confusing, but thinking about it, the logic is pretty consistent. A side is only a mana side when it doesn't have a target; when it does have a target the Mana-Gain keyword is used instead.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Tunicate posted:

yeah but it specifies targets (plural), so it shouldn't be referring only to a single monster you click on.

To be completely honest I think the reason duel doesn't work like that because it inherently makes things way more confusing. Say duel works like that and 3 of 5 enemies are targeting you when you use an AoE duel side. What happens? Does duel trigger 3 times for 8 times damage on everyone? Does it only trigger once across all enemies? Should it trigger individually for each enemy (so only the enemies targeting you take x2 damage)? If it does work that way how would it interact with mana-gain or pain? I imagine it was probably the simplest solution to just go "it does nothing".

I haven't tested it but I would assume this also applies to the other keywords that are 2x damage conditional on the enemy state, like Focus, Under/Over/Dog, or Terminal.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 9, 2022