Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Incidentally I had an unfair run I thought was dead in the water today and then uh

Turns out, Right 3 Blank is actually ridiculously easy to deal with? Blanking out 3 sides sure sounds bad, but since those are the bad sides for most heroes, its mostly just a mild loss in consistency. For 9 curse points I basically just played normal mode, but with moderately shittier heroes. Broken heart is also pretty easily dealt with, just put it on your Warrior/Defender and they can self shield through most things. This was one of my breeziest unfair runs.

The build itself wasn't anything crazy, but things sure did end up synergizing really well over time. Viscera is kinda nuts for a tier 3 item, all you need is a source of shielding and it ends up being a ridiculously high damage nuke that doesn't even kill the hero its on. My Gladiator with Shurikens and Eye also ended up fantastic, because the Stoic and Surgeon (thanks to Karma) had self shield sides, meaning he was frequently doing 6 damage ranged hits. The surgeon, for that matter, also performed extremely well due to her items; not only did all her sides heal and/or shield herself, they also grew the dice of the entire team thanks to Botany. Plus like, Operate is just such a fantastic panic button. My Dice died turn 1 against the dragon, but who cares, it was back turn 2.

Also, side note, I came away from this with a decent appreciation for Doom Blade. 3 damage death sides seem really unappealing, but there were a surprising number of times during the run where it was an extremely effective play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I somehow haven't managed to roll the Inevitable since 3.0 came out so I gotta give it to The Hand. He's just kinda blatantly unfair, and that +1 pip is only helping specific heroes. It's probably worth picking something like Agent or Sorcerer in most runs solely to hedge your bets on The Hand showing up.

Lots of people like to complain about Hexia, but IMO she's the easiest. She honestly doesn't do that much outside of her abilities, so you just gotta make sure you've got enough defense to hold out against the damage you do to yourself. Or uh, just be broken strong enough that you can kill her while only sacrificing a hero or two.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Sometimes this game is really tough, sometimes its just absolute clown shoes.

(This was on Classic Unfair, btw)

This run was already kinda nuts because mana synergy goes crazy and I had 2 mages + a charged side on my Curator. But Jewel Loupe let me get Mana Gain on reroll sides and Wax Seal bumped them up to 2 pips, which was absolutely nuts. I was already beating every fight in 1 turn, but getting the Hand as my final boss means I was effectively able to go infinite. It's not technically infinite but as long as I get a few lucky reroll sides at the start, the law of averages takes care of the rest.

Also honestly I just kinda got busted sides for like, everyone. Charged Hammer wasn't super necessary but it did give my Curator 2/6 charged sides. Artificer works great with Wandcraft because he doesn't give up much and suddenly has a 10 mana side, and Ghast actually turns into a pretty great hero with Eyepatch. I also had Wand Grips on him which, thanks to Eyepatch, was just a free 2 pips. The surgeon wasn't busted, but the Lead Weight he was forced to equip was handily neutralized by Static Tome.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

yeah dude that's what the cultists are for, they're the only tier 1 blue with an actual attack

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I found a use for another level 0 item!

This cantrip self damage can't activate if I don't have the mana to pay for it. :v:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The real fun part of high level green is definitely the generated abilities. You do sometimes get some stinkers, like once I got one that was like 25 damage pips for a 30 damage hit. But also in that same run I got 1 blank = 7 damage cleave, and I simply never leveled my dude after that because I was pretty easily able to deal 35 damage cleave every round after that.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Crystallize is amazing on Artificer. What if all his single use skills, weren't?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly, as cool as all the special modes are I've spent the most time with this playing Classic Unfair. It just feels very balanced and a super fun challenge, like I'm always teetering on the edge of defeat.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Eh, I find tier 4 heroes have a much higher chance of having like, 3 or 4 usable sides.

The chance of them being complete dogshit is still high enough that I'd never take a random t4 hero, but if I get to pick one it's usually fine.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God, new Wanderer has to just be one of the most busted heroes without any item support.

Why yes, I would love to do 16 damage to the Dragon completely free. Sure he's probably dying after that but he just did 40% of the job for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Groupgrowth will grow whatever aide the keyword is on. I.e. if you have groupgrowth on a left side, it will grow every hero's left side specifically.