Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Holy poo poo this game is great. I always heard nice things about it from goons but was planning on holding out til the iOS version until some post I saw yesterday finally broke my resolve and I got it on itch. Zero regrets and can't wait to double-dip, and it's great knowing the game has such a high skill ceiling -- the last couple fights in Normal mode feel insurmountable for me right now lol and I can't imagine it only getting harder from here, this is how I remember feeling my first time trying to beat ascension 0 in Slay the Spire.

edit: Don't want to jinx it but I have a Stalwart with Mithril Shields right now and I'm feeling pretty unstoppable.... this could be the run....

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Would you look at that :cool: hard mode here I come. First time picking Sorcerer and that class is awesome, Miasma + tanking up with Stalwart mostly won me the last fight. Wasn't sure if Engage would work on non-attack faces, but I was delighted to find out it does and put it on Mender because the enemy comp of the last fight didn't really necessitate me doing big hits on undamaged targets, and it indeed turned out to be a good call -- managed to get the +8 max HP off on a couple heroes during the fight and it gave me plenty of breathing room. drat what a fun game.

edit: Also this guide is really helpful, thanks to whoever posted it page 1. I like that it doesn't really spoil or solve anything, just gives a little extra context to make picking heroes feel more informed.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 30, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Annnnd beat hard mode on my first try. Rolled Sorceror again and picked up Boarhide Bracers and the mana gen was ludicrous. Cursed mode sounds great, I can't wait.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Start damaged is by far the easiest, for what it's worth.

Yeah I am just now easing into hard mode and that one really isn't bad. Think of all the times you normally roll & waste some kind of healing during the first few rounds of the first few fights while your dudes are at max HP -- those instances alone basically cancel out the curse in a way. Then once you start to get your setup rolling you just have to evaluate things a little differently.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wow this is a hell of an update. Hard to give detailed impressions on balance etc. at this point but I'm definitely thrilled with the sheer amount of content, bravo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

If I revive a dead hero during combat should I be able to use their spell again? I'm getting "can't cast spells from defeated heroes" after reviving Venom with Operate

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tann posted:

Submit a bug report in-game if you are in a bugged battlestate and I'll take a look. Venom doesn't have any spells though, did they have a spell item?

Ohhhhh I had Miasma and assumed it was Venom's, duh. No bugs here!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

How are there still 30 keywords I haven't seen???? What are these "Events" that I just unlocked? There's so much stuff in this update it's nuts

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Has anyone found a broken combo involving a "tier zero" item yet? I just know they're out there... it's so hard to pass up the reward that gives you 4 of them

edit: Am I missing something about why the Urn doesn't let the Shield 3 I get from Ladder keep the double-use keyword?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Are achievements supposed to carry over to the beta? Just grabbed it and did the achievement reconciliation button or whatever it was called, and only ended up with 28 instead of the 48 I had. Not sure if it is a tech issue, beta thing, or new version thing.

I think some achievements changed or got consolidated. So that's why when you import it's like "Found 48 achievements, imported 28"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I know that letting enemies run away has no impact on gameplay. But it triggers a Chase and kill predatory system inside me somehow and I absolutely hate to let them run away. Watching that last goblin flee infuriates me

Let them do it enough and there's an unlockable item that makes them run away sooner, which has saved my rear end a few times

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

"Blursed" mode people are talking about is the "Complex easy/hard" game option, right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

Blursed lets you choose 2 blessings to start off with instead of curses. Then you get a curse after every boss and a blessing after every 20 level reset. Honestly my favorite mode, it's a lot of fun playing around the blessings and curses.

drat that sounds great, how do I get that? Just squeaked out a win on Hard but did it in Custom Party Mode, wondering if I might need to do it in Classic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I made it surprisingly far, like maybe level 10 with 0 rerolls/+1 to all sides.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hell yeah. It seems most of the article is the authors personal slice & dice fabrication but I agree with the premise

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Is there a breakdown on how to unlock certain characters and items? I've put countless hours into the game and I'm ready to get spoiled.

Also, is there a use for Void that I'm missing or is it just a joke item?

If you go to the compendium screen and click on a locked item or character, the game will usually tell you what the requirement is. If it doesn't, it's because it requires doing something with a mode or character or item that you haven't unlocked yet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ilmucche posted:

What is the in-game effect that the item named "updog" has on the dice of the character to whom it is assigned? Increase top face value?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Am I just screwed here if I can't force him to run away?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

That's 2.0 -- I think my curses were the one that adds the Refractive HP and then maybe the monster HP boost one? Thought it would be easy with my all-blue party lol :cry:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

The beta versions are 2.0.0-beta and 2.0.2-beta, and then the release version is 2.0.0/2.0.1

In the release version, quartz don't have immunity to spells.

Huh, I thought the in-game indicator was telling me I was up-to-date. I'll double check, thanks

edit: Yeah, the button was telling me I was on 2.0 and up to date, but I just redownloaded from itch and now I see a language button that didn't appear before so it appears I didn't have the latest version

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 20, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Going all-in on this side lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Zodack posted:

Hope you've got a good source of block!

It's got single-use on it and I had a valkyrie so if I ever needed to cast it twice I could just revive her (are single-use spells supposed to be restored upon revive? I guess I just never noticed that interaction before) -- still died on level 19 when I couldn't roll that side after 4 rerolls in a row lol

edit: or was it the Rampage overriding Single-use? Never thought of that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Arzaac posted:

IIRC how those two interact is that you can use the side again, except the side is now an X, so you'll only be able to use it with a duplicate (or hack, gather, glow or whatever else changes sides).

Gotcha, it must have been the revive then, because the side would get restored (unfortunately Rampage wouldn't let me cast it a second time that turn after the revive)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Just dropping in to thank OP for making a loving awesome game. The iOS gaming thread did a great job of selling it to me (the screenshots weren't clicking with me) and at the end of the demo I couldn't hammer the buy button fast enough. Please enjoy my money.

Yeah Tann not sure if you've popped in yet but the last several pages are just people talking about how good Slice & Dice is. Great job with the launch and hope it's been successful -- had a 5 hour flight yesterday and basically played the entire time

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

are these Cats an unlockable class or is that from a Mode I still haven't unlocked

You unlock them when you unlock green heroes (by getting any 50 achievements)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Quixzlizx posted:

For 2., I think it's anything that costs mana.

It's a spell or a tactic (which may or may not be unlocked for you yet, they're like spells except they use up die faces instead of mana)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Feel like that's an edgecase and could be solved by auto fleeing, why even allow not showing mercy if its not intended for precisely those kinds of situations?

Sticking around to rez characters is risk reward, if you dont set it up perfectly you risk the run ending especially if you need to take into account auto fleeing.

Strongly disagree, there's a reason it used to work like that and doesn't anymore. One of the things that makes this game not suck is that during any fight, you have two goals in a very clear order of importance -- win the current fight (because otherwise you lose the game), and (way down the list, barring major edge cases like "permanent death" conditions) strategically let as few units die as possible. Any other meta-strategy stuff is kept to the decisions you make between rounds and the game is much more enjoyable and focused for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Does anybody find the challenges to be worth taking? It seems like I never take any of them because they seem too hard, but maybe I'm not assessing them correctly. Especially the early ones where it's like an extra alpha wolf for a tier 0 or tier 1 item.

If I have anything that gives extra equipment slots, I'm a lot more keen on them. Usually I feel like you pretty naturally fill out the slots for each hero on-curve and getting a bunch of extra low-level chaff isn't worth the risk, but if you have a blessing or something that lets you use them, getting a bunch of T1-T2s can be pretty sweet

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

...lol :eng99:

edit:

Oh baby

goferchan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 2, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Star posted:

What mode do people mostly play? I’ve found Blursed to be my favorite atm, but there are so many that I’m thinking I’m missing out on some other fun ones.

I always have a blast playing Blurtra when I get to start with the 10-cost +5 item level blessing. You get to start doing wacky stuff really quickly and it gives runs a lot of variety. I'd love a setting that let you bump up item level by a few points in exchange for making encounters more difficult, especially if it could be combined with other modes. Maybe there's a way to do that with textmod; I should look into that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ok Squared is pretty good :stare:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Got loving robbed on this final boss fight lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

:getin:

edit: Reinforcement was the world's most surprised Goblin by the way. Who, oddly, did not run away and took his full turn! Bug?

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

distortion park posted:

Are the keywords guaranteed to be positive? If not seems like a deathtrap.

Nah it can give "wrong type" keywords (i.e. boosting your enemies) or just good old Pain and Death

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Hate to blow all 10 points on one blessing, but drat, that's +5 rerolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah lol it means no rerolls. Probably the worst 10-point blessing I've ever seen. (Tann, where's my green hero with a tactic that lets you spend rerolls?)

edit: Or an item that makes spells cost rerolls instead of mana

goferchan fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 9, 2024