Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Whoa, I've never seen that overproof Neisson bottling before. Sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Astor Wines currently has Hampden 5 year single cask HGML for $200 for anybody looking for some rum that has some extra rotten banana trash funk.

Hopefully we'll start to seeing similar bottles of Hampden DOK being released out in the wild - I know a few Rum bar in NYC have pours of it available.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Went out of state on a trip and stopped at a great bottle shop that had some real gems:

Also did my first run sample swap, super excited to try all these Clairins:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Those samples were all awesome - I can't wait for Hampden HLCF to be more readily available, and while HGML 5yr was awesome, the 4yr I have a bottle of is just as good. I'm really excited to try other country's sugarcane rums as the market expands.

Astor Wines had 15% off and Free Shipping over $300 yesterday. Welp, guess who ordered....

Hampden 8 Marks Collection
More Paranubes + Neisson + Rum Fire + Volcanique
El Amparo Ecuadorian Sugarcane Rum

Much excited.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
For Christmas this year, my brother gave me a bottle of El Amparo. It’s unlike any rum I’ve ever tasted before: highly saline tasting, with a subtle flavor of stewed bananas that quickly gives way to olive brine.

I’m thinking I’ll try to sub it in a martini, but other than that I don’t know what I’ll do with it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

El Amparo is a sugarcane rum like rhum agricoles, it’d be great in a daiquiri or ti punch. Your brother picked up a nice bottle, it may be one of those things worth revisiting after you’ve had other sugarcane spirits.

Those flavors aren’t too unusual compared to others in the category, but can be a bit surprising if you’re expecting a sugarcane spirit to be more sweet instead of vegetal. There’s another great Oaxacan Sugarcane rum called Paranubes that is straight up salty briney stewed tomatoes. I really enjoy putting it in this:

Skokie Lagoon:
* 2 oz Paranubes (Sub Rhum Agricole or Sugarcane Rum)
* ¾ oz Green Chartreuse
* ½ oz Falernum
* ½ oz Orgeat
* ¼ oz Allspice Dram
* 1 oz Lime Juice
* 1 oz Orange Juice (sub pineapple)
* 2 Dashes Angostura

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, I was expecting something more like a Rhum Agricole or a Cachaça, but the olive note in this is challenging for me. There’s a bready hint to it, as well, more on the nose than the palate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Got to tick a rum I'd never thought I'd try - Long Pond's highest ester rum, TECC. It was straight rubber cement and rotten bananas. Really tasty.