Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

I know Goff's 2 picks could be rationalized (rushed throw while in the red zone due to Aaron Donald coming in & a tipped pass) but all I could think was "I wish this team had a better QB…"

2 redzone picks in a game is inexcusable, and an unfathomable amount of Bitch-rear end energy

E: ffs I misremembering that bad incomplete as an INT. Whatever, point still stands.

Apples McGrind fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

The rest of Detroit's schedule:

If they don't beat the Eagles there legit might not be a winnable game before Christmas

If you want to take an optimistic look at things:

- Philadelphia looks better on paper but isn't a consistent team themselves.
- Pittsburgh often plays down to teams and Ben could gently caress up a lot.
- Cleveland may still be dealing with key injuries.
- Chicago could be in free fall by then and it's the Thanksgiving game, plus divisional mayhem.
- Minnesota hasn't really been dominant thus far and the Lions nearly beat them last time, plus divisional mayhem.
- Denver could be in free fall by then as well.
- Who the hell knows where the Atlanta will be by late December, but I'll never count out the possibility of them pulling a Falcons.

Arizona should obviously kill them barring something massive happening to them in the next eight weeks. Green Bay may still be fighting for playoff seeding in the final game and need to win.

The Lions probably won't be favored in any of these games, but I could easily see them beating Chicago or Denver teams that are totally checked out and suddenly getting 2-3 wins seemingly out of nowhere.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Lions Are Literally Going To Win The Super Bowl

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Benne posted:

If they don't beat the Eagles there legit might not be a winnable game before Christmas

Eagles, Bears, Broncos, Falcons are my picks. One of them, though, not all. :lol:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Elephanthead posted:

Maybe GB will be resting starters

If the Lions enter that week 0-16 do you REALLY think Rodgers will let them win?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the rams still had Jared Goff they would have never won that game after going down 10-0

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the Lions enter that week 0-16 do you REALLY think Rodgers will let them win?

I Still Own You 2.0, this time he'll just be pointing and laughing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

“Thank you for the interceptions Jared”

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1452420379792719873

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pictured: Dan cambells wallpaper

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DariusLikewise posted:

“Thank you for the interceptions Jared”

“So you get why we traded you now, right?”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

Eagles, Steelers, Bears, Broncos, Falcons are all at least a coin flip. It just really depends on whether the team can transcend Goff.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Benne posted:

Philly and Denver are both winnable. Obviously the bears would be an easy look but if I know one thing about the lions it’s that they will poo poo their pants big for thanksgiving.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I went through to see how many more teams Matt Stafford has to win a game against to win a game against all 32 teams as a starting QB and the Lions were so loving bad at beating AFC opponents. With the win against the Lions he now has a win against all 16 NFC teams but still has to beat the Bengals, Titans, Ravens, Bills and Texans in the AFC. He gets a chance against the Ravens, Titans and Texans this year and a chance against the Bengals and Steelers in 2023 and the Bills in 2024. That's provided the Rams don't get a 17th game matchup with the Bills next year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Philly and Denver are both winnable. Obviously the bears would be an easy look but if I know one thing about the lions it’s that they will poo poo their pants big for thanksgiving.

I'm convinced the Lions are gonna win this one against Philly. It's probably stupid af but it's just what I believe

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

DariusLikewise posted:

I went through to see how many more teams Matt Stafford has to win a game against to win a game against all 32 teams as a starting QB and the Lions were so loving bad at beating AFC opponents. With the win against the Lions he now has a win against all 16 NFC teams but still has to beat the Bengals, Titans, Ravens, Bills and Texans in the AFC. He gets a chance against the Ravens, Titans and Texans this year and a chance against the Bengals and Steelers in 2023 and the Bills in 2024. That's provided the Rams don't get a 17th game matchup with the Bills next year.

Because I hate myself, I went and looked up all of those teams to see how close he came and it's just Lions.txt:
  • Texans (2012 Week 12): The Jim Schwartz Thanksgiving game. Still not sure who to be madder at: this loving idiot for throwing the challenge flag on an 81-yard touchdown run that was going to be officially reviewed and overturned anyway, or the NFL, who in its infinite wisdom declares that because he threw the red flag when he wasn't supposed to that the play now can't be reviewed at all. Anyway this game goes to OT, Jason Hanson (pbuh) doinks his FG attempt, Shayne Graham does not, Lions lose by 3.
  • Bengals (2013 Week 7): Mike Nugent 54-yard walk-off FG. Lions lose by 3.
  • Steelers (2013 Week 11): Maybe the most Early Matthew Stafford performance ever? 19 completions on 46 attempts for 362 yards, two TDs and a pick (179 yards and both scores to Megatron, naturally). Lions give up two touchdowns in the final five minutes and lose by 10. Easily the least heartbreaking of the six.
  • Ravens (2013 Week 15): Justin Tucker game-winner from beyond 60 yards. No, the other one.
  • Bills (2014 Week 5): Dan Carpenter 58-yard FG with caps off 14 unanswered points and walks it off for the Bills, Lions lose by 3.
  • Titans (2016 Week 2): Up 15-3 to start the fourth quarter, Lions immediately give up a touchdown pass from Marcus Mariota, then another one with 1:19 left, lose by 1. (BONUS: 2012 Week 3, Shaun Hill takes over for an injured Stafford and goes touchdown-onside kick-touchdown in 20 seconds to send the game to overtime! Lions lose anyway.)

So yeah he obviously could have done more to win those games but he's got at least half of them crossed off the list with even a halfway competent defense and/or kickers not signing blood oaths with Satan.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 28, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The 2012 game against the Titans was especially egregious since that was one of the replacement ref games, and during overtime they somehow forgot which 44 yard line the ball was supposed to be on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

tinstaach posted:

Bills (2014 Week 5): Dan Carpenter 58-yard FG with caps off 14 unanswered points and walks it off for the Bills, Lions lose by 3.

Gotta mention that Jim Schwartz was coaching this Bills team, fresh off of being fired by Detroit, and the Bills players carried him off the field in triumph after the game lol. In Detroit no less!

We suck rear end and have sucked rear end forever, but Detroit will beat the Eagles on Sunday and I'll get my rear end kicked walking my dog in my South Philly neighborhood after the game.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

A lot of faith here for a bitch-rear end football team to beat the eagles when the Lions are gonna be holding tryouts for CB pretty soon. https://twitter.com/kmeinke/status/1453780677556641796?s=20

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

tinstaach posted:

[*]Texans (2012 Week 12): The Jim Schwartz Thanksgiving game. Still not sure who to be madder at: this loving idiot for throwing the challenge flag on an 81-yard touchdown run that was going to be officially reviewed and overturned anyway, or the NFL, who in its infinite wisdom declares that because he threw the red flag when he wasn't supposed to that the play now can't be reviewed at all. Anyway this game goes to OT, Jason Hanson (pbuh) doinks his FG attempt, Shayne Graham does not, Lions lose by

I saw this poo poo live. I had never seen so many people united in anger in my life up until that point. One of the most painful experiences I’ve ever had at Ford Field.

Yes, only “one of the most”.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Apples McGrind posted:

I saw this poo poo live. I had never seen so many people united in anger in my life up until that point. One of the most painful experiences I’ve ever had at Ford Field.

Yes, only “one of the most”.

Just remember the good times like kicking a meaningless fieldgoal as time expires to cover the spread.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We thought the Eagles were one of the last winnable games left

Welp

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

lmao

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Anyone have a link to the old Lions Bitch thread? Need to revisit some good times

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So what is Goff gonna do this season that’s equivalent to Orlovsky running out the back of the end zone in 2008?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Apples McGrind posted:

Anyone have a link to the old Lions Bitch thread? Need to revisit some good times

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676320&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

First page already off to a :lol: start

fishing with the fam posted:

Jim Caldwell is a bad coach.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

lmao i forgot about this

Zoran posted:

They ran the ball on third down and 10 with 17 seconds left and no timeouts.

They won.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Congratulations, Detroit. You will be the 1st NFL team to go 0-16 and 0-17.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jared Goff belongs in the Andromeda galaxy.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
So the Lions can go one more season with Goff, and only have 10 mil in dead cap, or they can get rid of him after this one and have 30 mil in dead cap. Almost worth the 30 mil in dead cap, lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Lions will win a couple I think.

But I've been known to be wrong

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what is Goff gonna do this season that’s equivalent to Orlovsky running out the back of the end zone in 2008?

Throw the ball away on 4th down?

Twice?

More times?

So often it becomes known as “Goff’ing the ball away,” maybe?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Lions will win a couple I think.

But I've been known to be wrong

After today, I don’t think so. They’d need to play the Jags to have a chance, and they don’t this year.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

is Jared Goff worse than Joey Harrington?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

My Fox station switched away from the Lions game with twenty-one (21) minutes left on the game clock.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Apples McGrind posted:

On one hand, Goff was there with the Rams when they made it to the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, Joey Harrington has this:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

When does Arch Manning come out? 5 years? Just tank until then and stock picks in the Process.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Apples McGrind posted:

How much did they pay Joey Harrington?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

How much did they pay Joey Harrington?

37 million over 6 coming out of college. Carr got 46 over 7.

Trevor Lawrence got 36/4 from the Jags (although obviously teams would love to have 6/7 years of control of their rookies these days)

edited for bad numbers i got at first

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
IIRC those pre-CBA rookie deals were pretty easy to get out of, which is why agents fought hard for signing bonuses and front-loaded money. And if you were good, you were immediately negotiating a second contract. Almost nobody actually saw the end of their "six" or "seven" year deal.