Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I calmly explained this trashy thread was temporary (it's permanent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Seems like it would be less effort to just murder your husband

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

"the beauty of reddit"???????

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for getting annoyed with my friends vegan boyfriend?

quote:

On Sunday, my friend and her boyfriend came over for a roast dinner.

(Roast Dinner for those outside the UK is beef, Yorkshire Puddings, roast potatoes, veg and gravy.)

My friend’s boyfriend is a vegan, and I thought this would be a fun challenge.

Making a roast is a lot of work, but I didn’t want meat eaters to miss out for one vegan, so I made two completely different dinners.

I researched the best possible way to make a vegan version that’s still yummy for him. I spent a fortune on the vegan alternatives, didn't mind as I invited them over and was game for a new cooking challenge.

Anyway, I served the dinners feeling pretty proud of myself, and the boyfriend didn’t even mention the meal, just said thanks at the end. I was a little bit miffed he overlooked the work I put into his dinner but whatever.

Anyway, made a non-vegan and vegan dessert, a large crème brûlée and for him, a chocolate pudding thing that was vegan.

I also had chocolates out etc., which were not vegan and offered coffees.

The boyfriend asked for a coffee with regular milk as he fancied “a treat”… I must have pulled a face, no way that I didn’t and said, “ok.”

I’m pissed off at this point, considering the effort I went for respecting his diet requirements.

I return with coffees, and he is scoffing my part of the crème brûlée, leaving me with his vegan dessert.

I said, “that wasn’t vegan”, and he went “, eh, doesn’t matter.”

I kind of lost my poo poo and pointed out how rude it was of him to ask for his dinner to be 100% vegan, as far as not cooking potatoes in certain things and how I went above and beyond trying to make his meal pleasant for him to throw it in my face.

He laughed and said, “chill, not that big of a deal.”

Anyway, he thinks I’m a huge AH, and his GF/my friend is conflicted and in an awkward position.

If I’ve been the AH, I would apologise to clear the air for my friend, but I feel that he should.

EDIT: When I invited them for dinner, my friend said he's a vegan and gave me his number. He texted to say please no mixing etc of meats/animal produce.

lol

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My (24f) partner's(24m) friend(24f) is having sleepover at his place. Should I be worried?

quote:

tl;dr My partner's friend is having sleepover at his place and he didn't tell me.

We've been together for almost 6 year but didnt live together since the culture in our country is pretty religious. We lived closed enough though (walking distance).

I walked to his house and found this girl there. Turns out she's been having sleepover for a few days. Just the two of them. He didn't tell me about sleepover, but he did tell me about hanging out with this friend.

I trusted him fully and never once doubt him. We never forbid another to hang out with opposite sex. But somehow I feel betrayed that he didn't tell me about the sleepover. Am I too possessive? Should I be worried? I plan to tell him what I felt but I need to know whether I'm overthinking this and if this is normal.

lolllll yes a sleepover, that's what we'll call it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

ladies crave romance

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

selfish gits always being like "they're overreacting!!! it's such a minor thing so why can't they just put up with it" bitch if it's such a minor thing why can't YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

dye your hair and get a new partner who isn't a dumb fuckin rear end in a top hat, win win

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

staying with a dipshit who believes a woman's value is tied to their beauty and shouldn't dye her hair because idk biotruths is a life altering decision but you can make it not permanent, by leaving

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for being upset that my husband has been taking credit for housework that my daughter has been doing?

quote:

My husband(65M) and I(47F)have been married for 19 years. I’ve always done virtually 100% of the housework. Even though we both worked full time. Although I did stay home after my daughter was born. He retired a few months ago, and so I expected him to do more housework since he would be home all the time. But he hasn’t. I only specifically asked if he’d pick up the groceries from now on though.

After talking to him about it. He agreed to start. I thought it was great. And was kind of shocked. He was suddenly doing all the cleaning and cooking by the time I got home. He was going to the grocery store and doing the laundry.

But then I recently discovered that he’s just been having my 17 yo daughter do it. I guess I should’ve known since he went from having never used a stove, to suddenly cooking these beautiful dinners.

I only found out cause my husband told me he had got everything from the grocery store. But my daughter told me they were out of Coke’s when she went. I asked her about it and she said that her father had told her that I asked him to pick up some of the chores. And so he had her do it.

She said that I was being unreasonable for being upset and that that’s just how he is. But I don’t think I am. I’ve been falling over myself thanking him for the things I’ve done for 20 years. And I feel like an idiot.

Edit: typo

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My (32f) bf (32m) says his ex is family and like a sister and I have to accept it or leave.

quote:

Just as the title describes, my boyfriend of nearly a year has given me an ultimatum that he has to help and be involved in his ex girlfriend’s life and recovery from heroin or I can “kick rocks.” I have no say in the matter and he acts unlike he ever does in regard to this situation. He has lied in the past about talking to and seeing her and expects me to blindly accept whatever he has to do to help her, including seeing her without warning (like he did a week ago) for any type of emergency situation that her mother might call him to. Is it just me or does this seem extremely unfair to me, especially the ultimatum part and not being notified beforehand that he is going to see her at an undisclosed location for hours without contact?

IF IT SUCKS HIT DA BRICKS!!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my daughter she has to deal with consequences?

quote:

I am a mom of two girls, Sierra (12) and Emily (10). Both of my girls had absolutely beautiful curls that went down to about waist length. I've never personally been able to grow mine out that long so I just could never bear to get theirs cut. Emily has never complained but it started bugging Sierra when she was about nine and decided to join the local girls' soccer team. She needed to have it tied back but because it's also rather thick, her snaps would continuously break and it was a hassle. She wanted to have it all cut back then until we managed to work out a solid way to braid her hair so that it wouldn't keep coming loose, and she stopped complaining about it.

Two weeks ago, there was an incident at school where a kid stuck a bunch of loose pieces of paper in Sierra's hair. It was a major deal as Sierra got very upset and I had to go in and talk to the school about it. Unfortunately, Sierra's a very shy kid and that's been giving her a lot of issues since she's started middle school. The school promised to deal with it, but when we were leaving, Sierra asked if I'd take her to the hairdresser's and get her hair cut. I told her no and she just about had a meltdown, telling me that she was sick of having the other kids mess with her hair and didn't even want it anyways and I didn't listen to her. She was pouty for the rest of the weekend until she and Emily went to their father's for the week, and Sierra came back with most of her hair gone. It was cut to a little above chin length.

Of course, I wasn't happy. I called my ex and he acted as though I was in the wrong, saying that I obviously didn't care about Sierra if I let this go on this long. I did take Sierra's tablet for going behind my back over this, but I otherwise have talked this out with my ex and avoided getting too far into it with her because I don't want another meltdown.

Sierra was at tears during pickup today, telling me that the other kids have been telling her she looks like a boy. I obviously comforted her, but I told her that the haircut was her decision, I'd advised her against it, and now she has to deal with the consequences of her own actions. She got very upset with me and stormed off to lock herself in her room when we got home. She won't come out for a meal or speak to me, and I think I might have been a little harsh. I only wanted her to consider her actions, not to make her upset. AITA?

where to even start

quote:

She was punished because she knew my opinion on the matter and went behind my back to get it done anyways instead of waiting to have a proper conversation about it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for making my husband cook anytime he complains about my cooking

quote:

Husband doesn't cook, I've tried to teach him the basics but being in the kitchen just makes him nervous, so he prefers if I do it. We split the rest of the chores, it's just cooking he has an issue with, and he'll do all of the cleanup afterwards, so I agreed to do dinners with one one very explicit stipulation.

Any and I mean any, uncalled for criticism and he has to make the dinner for us the next night himself.

And by making the dinner I mean deciding what to make, buying all the ingredients and doing all the prep himself, no takeaway either, it has to be homemade.

Legitimate criticisms such as I burnt or undercooked something are fine but I don't care to hear any comments on why didnt use I 'x' instead of 'y' in the sauce or complaints about eating the same dish twice in a week.

To be clear, I don't mind taking requests for meals beforehand and I've adapted to most of his preferences already but complaints about the food after it is already on the table just irritate me.

I also make sure to never make any negative comments on the dinners he makes, even if it's beans on toast, I'm just happy to have food handed to me.

The first few times it happened pretty sparingly and he accepted it fine but he's started slipping up more recently and he's now decided that my rule is unfair.

He thinks I'm the rear end in a top hat for unfairly punishing him for having opinions and that him doing the washing up is a fair compromise already. Personally I think he still needs to learn how much of a mental drain preparing dinners can be and that if wants something cooked exactly to his liking he needs to make it himself.

girl why did you settle
you absolute donkey

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

maybe he shouldn't have been loving her if he was done with the relationship the whole time

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

yeah obviously she shouldnt have cheated, is anybody defending her about that?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Jesus Christ get therapy

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

my manager shows up while I’m having chemotherapy to talk about work

quote:

I work at a small branch, which is part of a larger company. My office has a manager, an assistant manager, a receptionist, and nine other employees. I have been diagnosed with cancer. I am able to schedule my chemotherapy on my regular days off. Since my job has no physical labor and we don’t deal with the public at all and only deal with coworkers from other offices by phone or email, my cancer and treatments have not interfered with work and I’m still able to go in as normal. My coworkers know and have been understanding.

Each of us has a calendar where our days off (or in rare cases, meetings at other branches) are shown. The manager is supposed to have access to this, but our manager, Robert, is on the road most of the time and is rarely in our office. The receptionist, Osha, also has access so she can know who is in and who is out so she can direct calls appropriately. No one else is allowed to have access. The assistant manager, Ned, is not responsible for our schedules and is only responsible for dealing with employees who are in the office on a given day.

Recently while I was having chemotherapy, Ned showed up at the clinic and started asking me about work matters. I was completely surprised that he even knew where I was and that he was asking me about work on my off-time. The things he was asking about were not emergencies or work with deadlines. When I went back to work after my days off, Osha was waiting to speak with me and apologize. She was almost in tears because Ned had asked her about my schedule and whether I was on days off or at a meeting. She didn’t want to tell him at first because the calendars are supposed to be confidential, but he threatened to fire her if she didn’t tell him, and he also demanded the name of the clinic after she admitted that she knew what clinic I was getting my chemotherapy at.

I was really upset that Ned had threatened to fire Osha for following the rules and trying to keep the calendar confidential, and for coming to ask me about work stuff on my time off while I have having treatments. When Robert was actually in the office, I complained to him about Ned’s behavior and he assured me it would be dealt with. Well, him dealing with it was firing Osha for revealing confidential information that was on the calendar when she wasn’t supposed to. He gave Ned access to the calendars instead, so now Ned has access to my schedule and will come to the clinic when he has questions about work.

Robert says Ned isn’t doing anything wrong and when I complained to the company’s HR person about both Ned and Robert, I received the same answer. HR said that Robert was within his rights to terminate Osha since she breached confidentiality and she knew that doing so was a breach of our code of conduct. They said that if she had an issue, she should have spoken to the manager instead of taking it upon herself to release confidential information. HR also said that in regard to Ned coming to the clinic, “he is well within his rights” to seek my knowledge on workplace-related matters and “if the manager and assistant manager deem this necessary, it is up their discretion and not a matter where I can advise them to do otherwise.” I have since found out that the HR person is a family member of Robert’s.

I feel bad that Osha got fired and I don’t know where else to complain or what to do next because Robert, Ned, and the HR person are all against me on this.

Also, I have asked the clinic not to admit Ned, but sometimes he comes in anyway or waits until no one is looking before he comes in. There have been times when the nurses have asked him to leave or told him to get out of the room I am in. Sometimes he lies to them and says it is an emergency, and one volunteer told me Ned told the nurse on duty that he was family. I keep trying to tell him that he is disturbing me during my treatment but he either doesn’t listen or makes veiled references to me losing my job (which would also cause me to lose my benefits). His behavior is stressing me out even more than I already am.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA Girlfriend's friend stole my food and wants an apology

quote:

It's the next day and everyone won't talk to me until I apologize. I definitely do not think I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

What happened?4 of us went to a Halloween party (me, girlfriend, her best friend and her boyfriend).On the way home I asked if anyone wanted to stop for food again (we did drive thru on the way to party) and they all said no. I'm pulling into McDonalds and get fries and 6 chicken nuggets. Perfectly calculated amount of food for how hungry I felt.

Girlfriend starts eating the fries, I expected that. Then her best friend starts tell me to get her nuggets, I already ordered and paid.

I say I already asked if anyone wanted anything. I start driving away. Then my gf takes my box of nuggets and opens them. Firmly, I tell everyone those are my nuggets, I'm NOT sharing them. In spite of that, the girls start passing them around, since I was driving I couldn't really stop them.

I go on to state my annoyance of the situation, then girl in the back goes "just cause you keep talking about it, I'm eating another one" or something along those lines. Essentially, she was annoyed that I was annoyed so used that as a reason to eat more.

They literally finished my nuggets and I didn't get one.

So I pull into another McDonalds on the way home. The girls boyfriend tells me to grab a 10 pack (to replace my 6 and he'll get 4 for his gf). He's going to pay?!? What.

The girls stole food, and now the guy in the backseat is going to replace it? So I questioned that. I ended up taking my gf's debit card (she did offer). I was holding both of their debit cards and chose to use my girlfriends. But what about the girl that literally ate most of my nuggets??

So then she goes on to tell me I deserved to lose my nuggets blah blah which segways into freedom of speech. She tells me to shutup and that the definition of freedom of speech if your right to speak up against the government, not say whatever you want whenever you want. Idgaf, I'll say what I want when I want. She really hates to be called out for her behaviour. I compare her to egyptian cats being treated like gods back in the day and how she always acts like the cat and everyone should worship and listen to her. Next thing you know, that's "hate speech" (she is egyptian canadian).

Firstly, is that hate speech?

It's the next day, my girlfriend won't talk to me until I apologize and says I'm straining her and her friends relationship.

I want an apology for them stealing my food, which created another argument this morning that she only did it because I wouldn't stop at another drive thru to get them food and that eating my nuggets was the only way to get me to stop. That's not a good reason in my eyes.

Tldr; girlfriend and her friends stole my food, I was annoyed and called them out. Freedom of speech argument came up and I became the bad guy for compare the egyptian girl to worshipped cats who get what they want

ADDITION:

Girlfriend says I was biased for NOT including the fact they "only ate my food to force me to stop at another drive-thru" and honestly, I think that just makes them look worse

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for accommodating only one of my daughters?

quote:

I have 2 daughters, Katie(12F) and Susan(15F). Katie has autism and she's non-verbal. Susan's recently diagnosed with a fainting problem, called cardiac syncope. Katie's been diagnosed autism ever since she was 3.

Here's where I might be the AH: Recently, Susan had been experiencing tunnel vision and black-outs, which she recovered from, in a couple of minutes. These mostly happened when she had too many assignments or too many tests/pop quizzes scheduled. These fainting conditions occurred occasionally and was always perfectly timed which made me believe that Susan had been faking it and lying to us. I ended up berating her and scolding her quite rudely, calling her an actress and attention-seeker.

So, my husband blew up at me and we fought. He took Susan to his sister's house where her paternal grandparents too lived. They took her to a doctor, after an extensive medical history check, blood tests and a tilt test, diagnosed her with cardiac syncope. When news reached me, I was overwhelmed. I have 2 kids with such conditions and ended up telling my husband to stay there until her surgery for the diseased valve took place(approx. 3-4 days). My husband rudely told me that Susan didn't deserve this, especially from me, as her mother and said that he was "glad" to know where my priorities lay. He was sick of them both putting Susan needs' on the backburner when she was the one with brighter future. He said the heart-to-heart his family had with Susan was "heartbreaking" and no kid deserved to be "second fiddle" nearly all their life.

My SIL called an rear end in a top hat and Susan hasn't spoken to me too. My MIL and my childfree SIL are ready to take her in until she's healed and accused me of accommodating only Katie in our house even when Susan has to undergo a couple surgeries for her valves. I told them it was not an easy decision and needed to make sure Katie doesn't feel left out because of her autism, to which they replied with an "one of your kid's already been left out, you rear end in a top hat, no need to worry about that.". Susan still hasn't spoken to me/refused to speak me. I'm a little hurt by Susan's silence.

So, Reddit, AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

info: was it a megaman comic?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for making tiktoks of a bully at school to 'debunk' the hateful stuff she says?

quote:

I am a high school student, and there's this girl at school who talks a lot of poo poo about me for being gay, it's pretty gross but the teachers don't do a lot, I get the idea some of the teachers don't exactly disagree with the poo poo she says, it is not a very progressive area.

My school makes us use clear or mesh bags so we can't hide anything but it has actually helped me film the girl because I can just put my phone in my bag facing out.

Anyway I made a couple TikToks of her most funny 'homophobic hot takes' just random super uninformed poo poo she says, like so wrong it's funny. Like saying poo poo about gay women being into girls peeing or their moms? (Wtf) Over each video, I caption it with corrections, like trying to debunk misinformed homophobic stuff.

A couple of the videos blew up, even though it's pretty lovely to deal with at school, i guess people find it funny to watch someone be such a dumbass.

Here's where I might be kinda an rear end, I have started baiting her into saying dumb poo poo a little bit. Like wearing a pride shirt when I know she will be in class, or saying something in sex ed class about how the education they're giving isn't really applicable to a decent chunk of the population.

Both those times she had poo poo to say about that, especially the health class time.

Anyway this weekend my parents found my tiktoks, one of their friends had found my account. And they wanted to know what was going on at school.

I had to tell them this girl was giving me trouble at school and I thought it would be funny to share some of the ways homophobes are super dumb and misinformed and kinda make a project of debunking the sort of poo poo homophobic people say to show other people who might be the target of the same poo poo how wrong and dumb it was.

My parents didn't think it was cool or educational at all, they felt like me filming at school was the wrong way to deal; that I should tell them and a teacher, instead of what I did that invaded the girls privacy. I said the teachers believe the same poo poo she does, and I felt like what I did was more useful because I was educating people on how homophobic opinions are stupid and uninformed and honestly I didn't feel like I was invading her privacy because she was the one choosing to come up to me with this poo poo, she could have privacy if she simply didn't...

Anyway, my school found out too and I'm suspended for using my phone to record in school. But coincidentally school went remote again when I was suspended, and they let me in the remote classes, so there was no real impact.

The girl has stopped giving me poo poo or even talking to me at all, I know her parents and the school have been in touch, so maybe that's related or maybe it's just that school is remote? IDK

AITA for filming a girl bullying me at school and putting her on blast on tik tok?

Edit to address common questions:

I live in a state that is one party consent for recording, I didn't break the law recording in the hallway or cafeteria or auditorium

I go to a private school which probibits having a phone on during school. I did break a school rule by having my phone on.

My school is not likely to be much help, it is a Christian school which has terms in it's morality code which ban homosexual behavior. So bringing this to my school would more likely put my education at risk than help me.

My parents are aren't a lot of help either, they think I should pretend to be straight for the next 3 and a half years of school until I graduate.

Our ages: I am 15 and she is a senior in high school so I would guess 17 or 18.

Are you trying to get her doxxed? No, I genuinely tried to do the opposite by editing out and censoring parts of the videos where the school logo could be seen or her name was said. Also, looking through the comments on tiktok, people aren't trying to find her, the dialogue is a lot more about people sharing their personal experiences with bullying.

How does she know I'm gay? I used to date her sister and we kept it a secret but she snuck her phone and screenshotted our texts and shared them at school. So I didn't tell her, or go flaunting that at school, I was actually trying to keep it a secret from everyone.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for helping my friend hide money from his soon to be ex-wife?

quote:

Throwaway for obvious reasons.

My friend (27M) married his wife (27F) 3 years ago. Unfortunately, neither of them talked finances before marriage and neither of them got a pre-nup. He makes about $70k, she makes about $55k. However, he bought 15 Bitcoin in 2013 for a pretty good price. He sold 5 of them in 2017 to help buy a house with his wife (then fiancee).
Fast forward to now, they are divorcing because she found a job with a 20% raise and guaranteed promotion within 2 years, but it is several states away (All three of us live in the same town in Missouri, the job his wife wants is in Seattle) and he does not want to quit his job or leave his parents, who are in their 60's and his mom has Stage 2 cancer.
Now initially, his wife did not know about the Bitcoin, as my friend only told me and a few other people. But one of them must have told her, since she wants half of it now even though she didn't buy it (yes I know what community property is). His argument is that since he bought them before marriage and never mixed the remaining 10 with martial assets that she should not have a claim to it and is refusing to split it.
One day, he invited me (25M if it matters) to lunch and basically told me he had a plan so "that bitch steals nothing". His plan involves spending a good chunk of it on a vacation and new car. Totally legit and I see nothing wrong with that. He also wants to put some towards his mother's medical bills. I think this is also fine, chemo is expensive. But the gray part is that he wants to give me part of the remaining bitcoin cash-out until the divorce is final, where I would then give him back 95% and keep the last 5% as a token of thanks. The split would be about 20 - 30 - 50, respectively. I realized that he would basically be spending his half on the vacation, car and medical bills and then giving me his wife's "half" so she cannot get it.
He sent me the Bitcoins last night and I have put them into my newly-made portfolio. But my girlfriend (22F) saw the brokerage app and asked what was up with that and I explained the situation about holding onto the Bitcoins for my friend. She replied that it sounds illegal (She is a law student) and it is also an rear end in a top hat thing to do and called me an rear end in a top hat and hasn't spoken to me for nearly a day.

Now between my guilt and what my girlfriend said I feel conflicted. AITA?

i think OP should not only do this, but continue to just straight up tell people that this is what he's doing
what could possibly go wrong

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My boss cried when I asked for a raise

quote:

I worked at an office for seven years. A few months ago, I asked for a raise. My manager said she would get back to me and I never heard anything.

A month later, the job was growing increasingly mentally and physically demanding. I came to my manager again and asked for a Monday-Thursday schedule. Again, silence. So I started seeking other jobs. When I was up-front about this with my manager, miraculously she was able to discuss my raise/better schedule with my boss the next day.

I was told no, that I couldn’t work the four days (which is a normal schedule in my profession). I was also told I couldn’t get a raise unless I worked the exact days they wanted me to and no less. My manager said my boss was “extremely hurt” by me wanting to work a more manageable schedule with better pay. So I had a meeting with my boss and she cried. She said she felt hurt I was doing this to her and I was seeming ungrateful. There were a lot of toxic things said on top of that. The following day, when I had follow-up questions about my raise (given I agreed to the days they said were a must), I was met with silence AGAIN.

I snapped. After years of being mentally abused by my manager, I wrote an immediate resignation letter and left it on my boss’s desk at the end of the day. She won’t see it until tomorrow. It’s not the way I wanted to go out. But I have a job lined up that doesn’t need her reference.

My question now is, can I block calls and texts from the office? I know when she sees I quit without notice, she will be enraged, and will reach out to belittle me and blame me for messing up her schedule and business. Can I block it all out?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

poor kid should've been way meaner to her sister, if anything
gently caress her entire extended family "how could u be so mean to your sister, who tried to steal your child and intentionally stole the money for your future u_u"
good thing her boyfriend's family is good

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

checks out, my sister got pregnancy boudoir photos and that bitch the whitest girl i know

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA For not going to my moms Christmas party because my husband isn’t going to be invited?

quote:

I was talking to my mom on the phone a few days ago about random things. I always hosted Christmas at my house, but she told me she wanted to do it this year at her place. I was completely fine with it and I was happy she let me know in advanced.

Everything was going well until she told me nobody was allowed to invite their husbands. I got extremely confused and asked her why. My mom said my 10 year old niece Katie has recently become very depressed because she doesn’t have a father in her life. My mom said she wanted to make Christmas special and inviting fathers will make Katie upset.

I told her I wanted to spend Christmas with my husband and kids. My mom didn’t like this answer and called me selfish. She said I could split the day, but I didn’t want to leave my husband alone on Christmas. His family lives in another country so he wouldn’t have anybody to keep him company. I called my sister and she said it was both her and my mothers idea.

AITA?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

kntfkr posted:

AITA for making GBS threads on the bed?

lol

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for calling the police on my client?

quote:

I (28F) do babysitting on the weekends to make some babysitting on the weekends to make extra cash. There is one family I definitely should've fazed out by now but the kids are cute and if I don't have another job, it's easy money. My issue is, the mom is never home on time. She used to not give me return times but finally I started asking as it made it impossible to get anything done on the weekends. I'd go babysit so she could go to "brunch" but she'd be gone from 11 AM to 7 PM. My whole day was gone. After that, she'd start giving me times but never stick to them. She wouldn't even call to tell me, she'd just stay out.

On Saturday, I got to her house at 6 and she was supposed to be home by 9. I told her she needed to be on time because I had plans to go out with friends. I was even getting ready at their house after I put the kids to be. She promised. Of course, 9:00 rolls around and she's not home. I call her, no response. Text, no response. Another hour. Nothing. Still calling and texting. Finally, it is midnight. By this point, my plans are long ruined but I'm pissed and exhausted. I call her and leave a voicemail saying if she's not home in the next hour, I'm considering the kids abandoned and calling the cops. I also text her this. I try calling her 30 minutes later and it goes to voicemail on the second ring, I text her again and she leaves me on read. If she had reached out saying "Hey, I'm staying out until x time", I would've stayed. I don't know any of her family nor the father of the kids so I can't call them. I gave her a grace period of 15 minutes and tried calling again, finally called the cops (non-emergency line). They showed up and I showed our agreement in text from earlier in the week confirming that she'd be home by 9. They try contacting her, didn't answer. I was dismissed and they took the children to the police station. I go home and go to bed.

I am awoken at 3 AM by a frantic call. It's her. Where are the kids? Why am I not here? I tell her I followed through on my threat, check the police station. She cursed me out, I hung up and went to bed.

The next day, she sends me an essay saying the kids' father was called and there's a DCF investigation launched against her. She called me every name under the sun but I didn't think I was wrong until I spoke to a friend with kids. She said I should've just waited it out and refuse to ever sit for her again. She asked if her potentially losing her kids was worth me being petty.

intentionally not answering your babysitters calls seems like an excellent plan for so many reasons

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Cowslips Warren posted:

HEY he did his part, the actual babymaking! Like, he had to have lots of sex to do his part, all she had to do was grow the kid!

AITA for Refusing to Let My MIL Visit Her Grandchildren?

Getting some Beatrice Horseman vibes here. "Mother's little helpers!"

quote:

My husband is pretty much on my side, but thinks I should back down on my threat actually absolutely isn't, you absolute loving buffoon

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

dad sees the daughter end up in the ICU for a week, and then just sits there and watches as his mother encourages her to go back there again, and wishes he could invite her back to do it more

wife: my husband is so good with our kids, such a great father and supports me so much

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i agree, cut off her head

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for making my roommate drive 4 hours home to clean her fish tank because I'm pissed she adopted a dog while filming on location?

quote:

Some background! I live in a mid-sized house with two roommates, let's call them Jess and Dave, my 115lb dog, and Jess's cat. Jess works in the film industry and regularly pulls 12-17hr days. When we all moved in together she just had an indoor/outdoor cat. She got a 15gal fish tank soon after we moved in, I told her that it's a lot of upkeep and this was all on her and she agreed. Outside of feeding them if she needed me to, I wanted no part of it because I'm not into fish.

Before we moved in together, she would talk about wanting a dog and I would just remind her of her lifestyle and be like, "hey maybe one day for sure but def not right now, you're just not around." She's brought it up several times and I've still been like, "hey yea bad idea!". I'm not trying to dictate her life but this impacts more than just her now, Dave works from home full-time and I work 8-5p.

Jess got a job working on a film set 2 months ago shooting on location 4 hrs away. When she left, her cat had to be in a cone, and get drops on his ears 2X a day to try and clear up the issue. Her cat was a HUGE rear end in a top hat about this. He'd scream all night (He can't sleep in my room), scratch the paint off my door, attack my feet and hair, wouldn't use the litter box unless you physically put him in it. It took a month of this, his ears are better and he's chilled out. Jess came home during this time for a wedding and cleaned her tank while she was here. A week later she sends me a video of a dog that says, "Meet Mona!". I asked if she was fostering and she says, "No, she's mine! See you at the end of Nov!". Now I'm livid at this point and stop responding to cool off. After a few days, I decide that's dumb and I need to keep communication open while she's gone and we can just shelve this for now.

Recently, her tank has started to get gross and I sent her a picture of it asking what she was going to do about this, her response was, "Oh I can just call you and walk you through it." That was a week and a half ago and neither Dave nor I want to do it, and reality is setting in that a dog is coming back with Jess a month from now and I'm just angry. It took 3 months to get my dog used to her cat, he'd never lived with one before and would freak out any time he came around. We don't know how this dog is with other animals and is that just going to be on me and Dave to deal with?

I've talked to Dave about it and he thinks that her decision was shortsighted. She found herself in an "ideal" situation for a few months and decided just do it even though she knew that we were against it. It feels inconsiderate of our living situation and disrespectful considering that we have been taking care of HER animals for months. We also JUST signed a new lease and I don't know if I'm even comfortable living with her anymore, this was so blatantly a gently caress you. Am I being an rear end in a top hat asking her to drive back on the weekend to do it herself? I JUST DON'T WANT TO CLEAN THE loving FISH TANK!!!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

the puppy has covid???

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

BUT MY BIRTHDAY

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for chopping down the trees in my backyard even though my neighbor liked them and asked me not to?

quote:

So our new neighbors renovated their backyard around 3 months ago, not long after they moved in. They added a pool, a hammock, a built-in grill, and a bar, they basically made a resort in their own backyard. Our backyard has grass and a bunch of tall palm trees that are right behind their fence. So lately, a few of the dead leaves of our palm trees have been falling into their backyard, which wasn't an issue with the old neighbors, they rarely brought it up and we were always apologetic.

The thing is, we've been considering getting rid of our palm trees for a couple years because of the maintenance and also because we never spend time in our backyard, so when the neighbors started throwing the leaves back into our yard and yelling at us to be responsible, we decided it was time to cut them down. They didn't like this idea either. They said that when they were planning their backyard, they were considering our trees as part of their scenery and that without the trees it would take away from their backyard. They also said that there isn't enough space for them to plant their own trees. So they offered to pay for someone to come to our house to maintain our trees.

This would usually be really nice but at this point we were set on taking down the trees, and we also didn't want to form a relationship with the neighbors because they were very rude and we would feel like we owed them if they paid for the maintenance. So two days ago we cut down the trees and now they're furious, complaining to all the other neighbors, blasting us on the neighborhood forum and giving out our address. They told us that we are not being neighborly and that we're selfish. We told them that it's our property and we can do whatever we want with it, and they should've been responsible when they decided not to put trees in their yard. So, are we the assholes?

bbbbbbut i want to have my cake, AND eat it too!!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

my dad always shows up at my house expecting tea and is always mad i never have earl grey because tea makes me barf (it's sad, i miss drinking tea)

then i make fun of him

OP's brother should make fun of him

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my mother that I wouldn't have been late to school if I wasn't so busy being a parent?

quote:

I (16M) live with my sister (20F), my mother (40sF), my grandfather (70sM), my younger brother (12M) and my cat.

My mother works as a veterinarian so she's the main breadwinner of the house, which I really appreciate of her. I work as a fast food place and have found myself absolutely swamped with things - I have school and work, I am in charge of breakfast and dinner, in charge of grocery shopping and making sure the house is clean and the laundry is done. I am frequently late for school because I have to drive my brother to school, and sometimes have to leave early for work.

My mother is so exhausted by the time she gets home from work that she just either goes to sleep or plays her Sims game. My sister is a college student so she doesn't have a lot of time to do anything. But I'm just so frustrated that I have to care for my younger brother and half senile grandfather and the cat while juggling everything else. I was late for school today and the school called my mother, who was expectedly pissed at me.

We began to argue because she expected better than this and I told her that if I wasn't so busy being a parent, then I wouldn't have been late for school. I struck a nerve and she looked close to tears and told me that I have to learn how to be an adult somehow and she's just trying to teach me responsibility and that I was acting like a child, which made me feel really bad. She works really hard and I feel like what I said was maybe out of line.

oh honey no she isn't

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

separate again, idiot

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My (33m) wife (30f) thinks our house is haunted and wants to sell it and move

quote:

As I was typing out the title to this post it hit me how ridiculous it sounds but this is real and I'm at a loss and I don't know what to do.

About a month ago me and my wife were out on a date. We had dinner and finished a few bottles of wine so we were walking home. We passed this neon sign for a fortune teller or tarot card readings or something like that. We were both pretty drunk and decided going in would be kind of fun.

I have never went to a fortune teller before this and don't believe in that stuff (no offense to anyone who does) but I like horror stuff and Halloween so I just thought it would be something fun.

Anyways we get there and the lady asked a couple of questions (mostly directed at my wife) then she started asking me some stuff - it was the usual leading questions I guess. I was having fun. It was sort of like seeing a magic show. You know it's fake but that doesn't mean you don't enjoy it.

Suddenly she freezes and tells me I have a dark spirit attached to me or something like that. I kind of laughed awkwardly just not really knowing what to say but she played it totally serious and didn't let up.

I thought the whole thing was fun in a macabre way and thought my wife did too but apparently she took it a little more serious than me. She started talking about how we lose things in the house only to find them days later in one of the spots we looked. That does happen but I figure we just missed it the first time or one of us moved it without realizing. She kept giving silly examples like that and at first I thought she was just kidding around but she kept bringing things like that up and I was starting to get worried.

Now last night we were watching a movie and a picture frame fell off the wall and made us jump. It scared me but I laughed once it realized it was nothing. My wife freaked out and started saying the house is haunted, the fortune teller is right, ect. Then she was getting mad at me for not saying anything. I think I was just in disbelief. How does an adult believe in ghosts still? I started saying there were reasonable explanations for all her "evidence" but that just made her more angry. She stormed off and I finished the movie figuring she needed time to cool down.

This morning she started saying she wants to sell the house and move. I really like our house and don't want to move. Especially for a stupid reason. The housing market here (Canada) is also hosed so we could sell our house easy but would go into a lot more debt moving anywhere. She got so angry when I said I don't want to move. We never really had any fights like this before so I ended up storming off. Now she told our kids (5f , and 8m) that there's a ghost in the house. They're freaked out and are scared to stay here and go to sleep.

I feel like I'm some horror movie dad cliche- but there's definitely no ghosts here and I don't know what I should do

just pay a guy on craigslist $20 to pretend to exorcise the house, she seems dumb enough to fall for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

wow we've been out gooned by that OP