Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

Honestly, the milk was the weirdest part of that. Like what kinda place serves chicken and fish fastfood but also milk?

One that lets kids eat there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I think OP is in the clear, they'd tried communicating many times to no avail. You can't say "go talk again but make them listen this time". Also she did tell the lady, completely unmistakeably, that she needed to make other arrangements via moving out. She paid her share of the rent for a place she didn't even live in, leaving the pregnant woman a month to act. She left the place in good condition with the woman staying having the option to renew the lease, find a roommate, move out, whatever.

Yes, leaving a late-pregnant woman in the lurch is wrong, but there are mitigating factors for OP like "wasn't her child" and "wasn't in a relationship or even close friendship with the pregnant party" and "pregnant woman wasn't contributing anything even before she gave birth".

It's like pulling off a bandaid, do you want to do it in one yank or have it last a whole month?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Scaevolus posted:

My [28F] boyfriend of 4 years [38M] lied about a massive financial secret.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

Form 211 if you want to get a percentage of what he owes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

After 3 years pass you automatically waive your right to that refund and the IRS keeps it.

But you don't pay them? They'll will hunt you to the grave.

Only if you die within 10 years of the tax assessment (because that's the statute of limitations on collection)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tetramin posted:

I don’t know poo poo about claims like this, but from what I’ve seen people in this thread say, he bought the crypto before marriage and kept it separate from all other finances right? It seems like the wife has no claim over that. Hopefully what dingus and wingus are doing here makes it breaking the law

How marital property is divided is complicated and depends from state to state, but yeah, hiding assets is generally a big no-no.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

What? Like, a lady was pumping in the middle of an exam hall? Isn't that a lot of gear to set up, nevermind the whole privacy thing?

Yeah but if you're taking a three hour exam it might be the only option (that the patriarchy gives you).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cumshitter posted:

It's really annoying how companies like TurboTax lobby to make it more difficult to file taxes. The big tax companies will say it's free, but only if your taxes are basically reporting W-2/regular employment income. TurboTax is especially bad, because they will let you spend anywhere up to an hour entering everything and then at the end you'll get a popup saying something like "Whoops! Filing a 1099-Div is part of our Silver plan! Pay to upgrade now!" They even taunt you right as you're entering your info saying that if you're a gold member they'll automatically enter your info from the previous year, which is essentially giving them money to copy/paste poo poo from their database.

I mostly advise people to use CreditKarma's service for federal filing and keep an instance of TurboTax running in a separate browser tab if your taxes aren't complicated to need an accountant. TurboTax's system is more robust and has better explanations for the various things you're entering and you can just reference it against what you're entering on CreditKarma. Most states will also let you file free through the state franchise board's website if you're earning mid 5 figures or less and even then it's just a small filing fee.

Also there was an article about how the companies have a deal with the IRS; the IRS won't provide a system to file taxes as long as the companies provide an option for people to file for free if their income is below a certain threshold. The catch is that you can only access the free file systems through the IRS website; if you googled "free tax filing" you would be directed to the non-free sites.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my sister in law get over me ruining her wedding

A home birth that takes 16 hours.

Ugh the only thing worse than going to a family wedding is having to go to a family birthing.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Remember when that republican did it to Obama?

Jesus I hope it ended his career and we never heard from him again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Jesus Christ this is abhorrent.

ESH, grifter son wasn't the one who didn't properly make quarterly estimated tax payments, that's all dad's fault.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Computer viking posted:

Daycare is ridiculously expensive in some places, which could be part of it? It could also just be "they should be with their family as much as possible", and when the dad is home anyway, the two can probably become conflated.

E: nvm he also has a full-time job? I do not get how this works out.

He used to have a full time job, now he's a SAHD. Daycare is super expensive so he might be hoping for free daycare from his sister; but I agree that he probably doesn't actually want to get his degree and/or go back to work, since work sucks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

AITA for refusing to follow my girlfriend’s weird family tradition?

Somehow, the idea of "just don't get drunk" never occurred to this OP.

So for this one, I said it before and I'll say it again. What is more likely, that the Roma secretly have this one weird tradition that has never been exposed until this brave Euro found out about it, or some rear end in a top hat is making up poo poo about the Roma?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Combo posted:

Yeah, obviously OP doesn't get to claim a person, but what the roommate did was still a douche move.

Well you can, you just have to rub your face on them so you can mark them with your scent glands first.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for lettingmy child climb on a rock?

Do you want demon possession in your kid? Cause this is how you get demon possession in your kid.

Good news, demon possession might make you parent.

lmao once I had the exact same thing happen when I was 20. I climbed on top of one of the standing stones and some old guy came over and yelled at me. Then twenty minutes later he came back and said his wife was making him apologize.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

datajugend posted:

So the cousin that couldnt afford 1500 to save the House should get it, his family wants to give the bank a free House.

He said it was taxes, and let's be honest, the IRS isn't going to take your house for $1500. The state of Georgia might, I guess. If grandma is paying taxes directly rather than having it go through escrow, she probably owns it free and clear, and thanks to step-up basis on death, the kid is gonna get a huge tax-free windfall if he sells now.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn’t there another one from the wife’s POV because he claimed he just got randomly fired or something and she was like wtf.

Yeah it was from the wife's POV. She said that her manager husband was fired because a new employee, a young 20 something woman, was sexually propositioning him, and when he turned her down, she faked a harassment allegation on him, and then they fired him without warning. She wanted to know what their legal options were, but was getting frustrated that her husband didn't want to fight it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you coulda just googled "lemon tree maintenance"

all the talk about a council suggests this is in England so a citrus tree is probably constantly trying its best to die, like any sensible lifeform trapped in England would be

They said Australia in the post itself! Also that the whole street is planted with lemon trees. So she's practically living in a lemon grove.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Marvel editorial basically hated that Peter Parker was married almost immediately after the marriage happened, and was trying to find a way out of it. But Mary Jane was such a popular character, and they could never pull the trigger on making either her or Peter do something that would legitimately end in divorce. (Also, I'm pretty sure that even editorial realized that the only thing worse than a married Peter Parker would be a divorced Peter Parker.)

Divorced Peter Parker was awesome tho?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

we killed our lawn and let the woods grow in on the quarter-acre we do have, the city lawn police rolled up last month and fined us for having weeds. now we're trying to figure out a raspberry bush and poison ivy hedgerow to slow down the inevitable SWAT team

yeah parents going into an over-the-top freakout about something mostly harmless just indicates that whatever it is is worth the trouble, just show your kid how loving corny 99% of Facebook is and they won't bother like everyone else under 60

Try blackberry bushes

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Whom amongst us hasn't eaten from the cat's wet food dish

Seriously though as long as the cat's bowl is marked or kept separate who cares. An 8 month old is basically a cat that shits on itself as far as I can remember from my niece and nephew being that age.

Yeah once they start crawling they will happily eat the catfood anyway

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Biplane posted:

No no you don't understand honey, it's not sexist! I simply believe that as a woman, you are inferior to me!

Honey, I don't believe women are inferior to men, I just believe that you are inferior to me!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But screaming about it makes my pp the big pp therefore it is better than fixing the actual problem

I'm all for guillotining landlords but I'm in the same boat. I would literally be homeless if my family weren't renting. What is the proposed solution, *right now*, after guillotining said landlords? Y'all never think past Step 1.

E:

Holy poo poo that entire family needs to be lit on fire.

I mean it depends on what you do after executing the landlords? Like in Rome, during the proscriptions, they'd execute the landlords and sell the property to other rich well-connected people (like Crassius) so very little changed. In Russia or China the state would seize the properties and rent them out. There's a funny scene in Dr. Zhivago when he returns from the war and finds like four families living in his house. And in Cambodia they'd execute the landlords and then move all the tenants out to the countryside and then execute them for enabling landlords. As you can see there's a wide variety of next steps.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But what about the life plan he drew up when he was 19 :ohdear:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

There's a bunch of places in europe where the borders were set at a river but the river has moved but he old borders remain. Rivers don't make great borders.

There's also a place like that on the US-Mexico border. It was being occupied by Americans until Johnson cleared them out and agreed that it should be part of Mexico.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

It does make me wonder, if the mom is out of it from pain meds after labor, and the dad were to write down the name he wants, could she contest/have the hospital undo it? or would she have to tell the nurses first so the admin is aware?

She should fill out the paperwork beforehand. Otherwise, well, that's how Major Major got his name.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cumshitter posted:

How the hell did her dad even die in the Gulf War? I just looked it up and there were 292 total deaths on the US coalition side, 145 of which were classified as "non-hostile."

I think those were from when the Canadians got bombed by the USAAF. IIRC there were also a bunch killed during the build-up when their barracks got hit by a SCUD. But even those 300 must have had some kids running around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

r/relationships: we went out to dinner, had a romantic bath and then had sex (this is important later)

Nice humblebrag, sex-haver

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Street Horrrsing posted:

Do you have a link where I can read more on this? Maybe I'm just sheltered but that sounds absolutely wild.

I mean in the old days, starting in the 1950s and going until 2021, big farm employers would routinely call up INS (now ICE) to have their workers deported before they had to pay them their last paycheck.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mx. posted:

tell her it was a mistake and she can rebook it, then cancel it again

Seems like the pro move would be to wait until she's landed and at the airport and then cancel it? IDK if that's possible with AirBNB or not, but that's what the scammers used to do.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

If he's 6'7 I could see using a table being easier than getting down on the floor and I'm going to assume that he's got a portable changing pad so he didn't put the kid directly on the table.

Don't even need to be 6'7", changing a diaper while kneeling down is kind of annoying.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Propaniac posted:

Slight update on the baby stealing sister:

She's going to update a week later saying "everything is fine, am going to become a hermit please don't look for me or try to contact me."

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chloe Jessica posted:

this man doesn't give a poo poo about you. he wants a walking womb; anyone would have done.

get the hell out and do not under any circumstances tie yourself to him with a child.

Yeah he should have just married an axlotl tank

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

That a cop was willing to mock him over being rude to his wife is probably the biggest sign that OP's husband is a real piece of work.

Any excuse to shoot someone down

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blight rhino posted:

man, i'd throw hands if someone took my pickles

I guess to be fair, it seems like this is the first time she's actually said something about it to the niece.

but all that sodium can't be great for pregnats?

Sudden cravings for pickles is a pretty standard pregnancy trope. Little bugger probably needs a lot of salt for something important.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

There's a reason actors are often compared (fairly and unfairly) to prostitutes. You aren't there for you. Your body and voice are a tool for someone else.

Also because in the old days the used to do that too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You put the bird in bird jail for a little bit until he serves his time. Let him out early for good behavior.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for telling the kids their dad took this year's Christmas away from them?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I think you want a castle metaphor rather than a Nazi metaphor: You can't sally from your closet, make a bunch of claims about your sexuality that unfairly impact other people, then dash back inside. Once the door is open to those people then it stays open.

But this isn't accurate at all, you can totally sally forth from a castle, wreck a few siege engines or engineers and then scarper back to the castle to be safe. It's kind of the whole point of castles!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Why would you even consider responding jfc

It's like calling a reference for a job. Just say, "Yes, we dated from x date to y date," and leave it at that rather than give a bad reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I know someone who used to work at REI, and she said that when they do their annual sale of returned/damaged items, the employees not only get first pick, but they also get to mark the prices the items are sold at. So they mark the items they want really cheaply and then buy them up themselves. I've still got some of the camping gear she scored for me. Good old connection-based economy.