Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Inscryption is a new game from Daniel Mullins, the creator of Pony Island and The Hex and it's pretty much the next big indie classic, it loving owns.

It's a creepy card game where you're trapped in a shack in the woods and play against a strange dark presence that kidnapped you. The rules are brutal where you need to sacrifice weaker animals in order to play stronger ones, sometimes sacrificial altars and other strange places appear on your path. The kicker? From time to time you get to stand up from the table and solve some The Room-style puzzles around the place in order to get closer to escaping this prison and other times....cards start talking to you? Check this poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5GSIWIN1k&t=11s

Honestly, I don't want to explain too much, it's best to go into this title blind. It's a brilliant fusion of different genres that combines into something truly special. Just buy it, it's really good, original and just sucks you into its atmospheric world.

Not convinced? You're in luck - the Steam Store has a free demo that will basically make you want to buy it 3 minutes into it anyway so play that.

I made this thread mainly for people to be able to talk about their experiences as the game grows in popularity in different threads and Halloween is almost here!

Use spoiler tags! Yeah, this will be a spoiler tag-heavy thread but whatever, this game is too good to be spoiled.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
This game is so great but where are my cats at? My favorite card is the invincible kitty you can sacrifice as much as you want but I haven't been able to get one since my first run somehow.

The game wins primarily on atmosphere and presentation. The cardplay is interesting, unique and fun but on its own I wouldn't enjoy it at all. Everything is in the way it's been crafted which I absolutely adore

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I once got to upgrade the eternal cat and got it to additionally drop 4 bones every time it gets sacrificed.That would have been pretty OP if I ever drew it afterwards, ehhh.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Palpek posted:

I once got to upgrade the eternal cat and got it to additionally drop 4 bones every time it gets sacrificed.That would have been pretty OP if I ever drew it afterwards, ehhh.

once before I understood how the sacrifice systems worked I accidentally gave the eternal cat wings. which, yes, are 100% loving useless to the cat who has no attack. it did make it float eerily on the table so I guess that's something

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The Orobouros is the most OP card by a long shot. That thing is just ridiculous. Especially since sacrificing it counts towards the death counter.
I found it in the second act were it was already trained to level 7 and used the training dummy to push it up to level 35 to grind a ridiculous amount of foils. That didn't even take long. Afterwards, that monster mercilessly tore through the world.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

s'good game. good secrets. good atmosphere.

have a couple tips for new folk who've had a run or two
-might want to hang onto some pelts instead of trading em. they don't look good for much at first, but they are cards, and ones that cost nothing to play. Acceptable blockers, but...
-if you get offered a chance to end a fight early, don't take it. s'time to puzzle out how to maximize your overkill.
-[Solid Combo]Bees-Within Moleman s'great. So, so many bees.
-[Solid Combo]The mice card isn't that great. Sacrifice them to empower an ant with fecundity, however...
-[Neat Thing]It's possible to beat the bear rush. Not the very first one, but later on with some good luck and solid cards, it can be done.

this ones the big ticket, so might want to try and puzzle it out your own big winnin combo first.
-[The Big Combo]You can use pelts for your deathcards cost. You can also put eternal and boneking on your deathcard with some prep/luck. A deathcard you can empower later. Enjoy.

any other tricks/nonsense folks have gotten away with? :v:

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 21, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Arcanuse posted:

s'good game. good secrets. good atmosphere.

have a couple tips for new folk who've had a run or two
-might want to hang onto some pelts instead of trading em. they don't look good for much at first, but they are cards, and ones that cost nothing to play. Acceptable blockers, but...
-if you get offered a chance to end a fight early, don't take it. s'time to puzzle out how to maximize your overkill.
-[Solid Combo]Bees-Within Moleman s'great. So, so many bees.
-[Solid Combo]The mice card isn't that great. Sacrifice them to empower an ant with fecundity, however...
-[Neat Thing]It's possible to beat the bear rush. Not the very first one, but later on with some good luck and solid cards, it can be done.

this ones the big ticket, so might want to try and puzzle it out your own big winnin combo first.
-[The Big Combo]You can use pelts for your deathcards cost. You can also put eternal and boneking on your deathcard with some prep/luck. A deathcard you can empower later. Enjoy.

I found a combo that frankly feels like cheating.

You rush the totem nodes until the carver gives you undying + squirrel head (you get this by default). Now you effectively have infinite blood because any squirrels that die automatically return to your hand. From there if you get an adder you can repeatedly upgrade it at a campfire until the survivors kill it. With any luck they'll do it on the first campfire. Now all other campfires are completely free of survivors allowing maximum upgrades without getting eaten... Obtain a mantis god, pump him up hardcore with campfires, then with any luck sacrifice an undying creature like ouroboros or cockroach at the altar to give mantis god undying.... Now you have a 1 blood 9/9 creature that attacks 3 squares and infinite squirrels to use as cannon fodder/blood for any creature you want.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Play posted:

This game is so great but where are my cats at? My favorite card is the invincible kitty you can sacrifice as much as you want but I haven't been able to get one since my first run somehow.

The game wins primarily on atmosphere and presentation. The cardplay is interesting, unique and fun but on its own I wouldn't enjoy it at all. Everything is in the way it's been crafted which I absolutely adore

There is a better cat as a rare card boss reward. Its pretty sweet.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I made a deathcard that was 4/4 had fecundity and 0 cost which is pretty much cheating and let me beat the first part of the game with ease

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm pretty sure I've finished Inscryption. It kind of feels like it ended an act or 2 too early. Act 1 was the strongest part overall I think. There were a bunch of optional puzzles I either missed or didn't solve but it doesn't seem like any of it would lead to anything different.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Einwand posted:

I'm pretty sure I've finished Inscryption. It kind of feels like it ended an act or 2 too early. Act 1 was the strongest part overall I think. There were a bunch of optional puzzles I either missed or didn't solve but it doesn't seem like any of it would lead to anything different.

Busting out the endgame spoilers here:

Yeah, the third act felt a little long in the tooth at times but it was interesting conceptually if you think about the Scrybes and what aspect of game design they each embody. P03's little universe is a pretty accurate representation of what happens when you don't give a poo poo about story or flavor but just want to keep introducing new mechanics upon new mechanics to an absurd degree. It still manages to be pretty fun to play but it took me a second playthrough for the comedic aspect to click there. And yeah, it looks like all the optional puzzles add up to something, particularly the optional encounters with the Bonelord in parts 2 and 3, but I'll leave it to the Discord guys with the Google Doc to figure that one out. What did you think of the ending sequence? I loved the Leshy fight especially, it definitely pulled at my heartstrings a bit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arcanuse posted:

Sacrificing a Mantis God to get Trifucated (or whatever they called it) Attack on a Great White was good fun and carried me through. Tons of damage and submerging to prevent death from cards coming to the front row.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Einwand posted:

Well. (ENDING SPOILERS BELOW)

It seems to move into some ARG stuff after the game's over, but who the gently caress knows if it's just Epilogue stuff like I hear The Hex did, or if it's intended as a whole new Act.

I do agree though that it seems like the plot just kind of cuts off abruptly? The guy recording it just unceremoniously getting his brains blown out by the agent right as he's bringing his information to the police raises the question though of 'How did we get the recordings?' She didn't seriously just leave it to be uploaded to the internet, did she? And P03 was going to upload Inscryption to the internet--including the OLD_CODE it was built to conceal, which is... Uh, isn't it exactly how we got the game?

It feels like there's more to it, but I'm going to have to wait until the ARG experts finish scything through the clues.

Alternately, all of this is just sequel baiting because the story of Inscryption is over, but what comes next in the Mullinsverse is going to be a direct sequel to where it leaves off.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 21, 2021

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I really enjoyed the game as a whole as someone who has card game brain poisoning. I wish the story was fleshed out more without the ARG stuff but I still feel like what is available in the game tells a pretty decent tale.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

goferchan posted:

Busting out the endgame spoilers here:

Yeah, the third act felt a little long in the tooth at times but it was interesting conceptually if you think about the Scrybes and what aspect of game design they each embody. P03's little universe is a pretty accurate representation of what happens when you don't give a poo poo about story or flavor but just want to keep introducing new mechanics upon new mechanics to an absurd degree. It still manages to be pretty fun to play but it took me a second playthrough for the comedic aspect to click there. And yeah, it looks like all the optional puzzles add up to something, particularly the optional encounters with the Bonelord in parts 2 and 3, but I'll leave it to the Discord guys with the Google Doc to figure that one out. What did you think of the ending sequence? I loved the Leshy fight especially, it definitely pulled at my heartstrings a bit.

Yeah I liked the ending bit, it mostly just felt too sudden. It was still a good game, a full game like act 1 would be amazing but I doubt it'll happen.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

For what it's worth, while I think there are definitely some meta secrets to be found, the prerelease deep ARG stuff was more just marketing for the game than it was anything else. I've spoken to one of the guys who helped put it together and he just had access to a complete copy of the game to go on, no special insider information. I'm pretty sure everything is contained in-game. That said, it might not all be in THIS game. If you played the Hex, one of the endgame puzzles involved downloading a nondescript free fishing game on Steam released under the name of a fictional dev mentioned in-game (who also had connections to GamaFuna!) called Beneath The Surface and inputting codes from The Hex in there. Beneath The Surface got an update for the first time in years the same day Inscryption released.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

goferchan posted:

For what it's worth, while I think there are definitely some meta secrets to be found, the prerelease deep ARG stuff was more just marketing for the game than it was anything else. I've spoken to one of the guys who helped put it together and he just had access to a complete copy of the game to go on, no special insider information. I'm pretty sure everything is contained in-game. That said, it might not all be in THIS game. If you played the Hex, one of the endgame puzzles involved downloading a nondescript free fishing game on Steam released under the name of a fictional dev mentioned in-game (who also had connections to GamaFuna!) called Beneath The Surface and inputting codes from The Hex in there. Beneath The Surface got an update for the first time in years the same day Inscryption released.

Aww hell

And there's a couple codes I know of just from playing Inscryption that never got payoff in the game...

Would he really do that? Just reuse the exact same trick again?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Thanks for the thread friend!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Alectai posted:

Aww hell

And there's a couple codes I know of just from playing Inscryption that never got payoff in the game...

Would he really do that? Just reuse the exact same trick again?

Kind of doubt it, seems too easy, but who knows. After you beat the game one thing to check out is the bit at the beginning of Part 2 where it's loading the real Inscryption game and the console commands are flashing across the screen. You can press ctrl+c to stop the console and actually type stuff in there, and there are a lot of unique responses for things.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

come to think of it, where's the mycologist after the first act?
In act 2 there's the mushroom house, can move over it on the map but didn't see a way to enter.
There's also a note with MYCoLOG1ST12 P3RHAPS?? BLOOD$L3TT3RBOX on one of the tapes?
I dunno what to do with it tho

e:nm on the mycologist, checked elsewhere. still puzzled on the rest tho

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 21, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a link to the Google doc where people are figuring out some of the deeper secrets: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DnUjnnScEjTR9Ne0fGJQDyhWP6dbZIIlEakzhukOdSs/edit

Highly recommended you don't look at it unless you've beaten the game, but there's some interesting stuff beyond even just the normal weirdness. I really enjoyed my first run through the game, and I might go back through again to check out some of this more secret stuff and see if I can figure out anything new.

I had a deathcard that was a cost one, 4/6 with the "doesn't die on being sacrificed" sigil, that dude was like an instant win when he popped out.

Also, (minor spoiler for something you can do at the campfire events in act 1) poisoning the campfire guys with a ringworm to get unlimited upgrades from then on out made for a pretty broken run as well

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 21, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Arcanuse posted:

come to think of it, where's the mycologist after the first act?
In act 2 there's the mushroom house, can move over it on the map but didn't see a way to enter.
There's also a note with MYCoLOG1ST12 P3RHAPS?? BLOOD$L3TT3RBOX on one of the tapes?
I dunno what to do with it tho

e:nm on the mycologist, checked elsewhere. still puzzled on the rest tho

I think that's definitely one piece of the bigger puzzle. If you fulfill all their requests in Act II they talk about the Karnoffel Code and supposedly it also unlocks a way to fight them in Act III or something? But I never managed to stumble upon that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is this game fun/possible to play as just a card game while ignoring all of the escape room/puzzle solving stuff? I played far enough to unlock Bones cards (not very far at all) and I am very unenthused by the hidden object or whatever side of the game, but I can't tell whether the card game part will ever do anything to stand on its own

Basically if I don't like that stuff am I missing the whole point of the game?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 21, 2021

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is this game fun/possible to play as just a card game while ignoring all of the escape room/puzzle solving stuff? I played far enough to unlock Bones cards (not very far at all) and I am very unenthused by the hidden object or whatever side of the game, but I can't tell whether the card game part will ever do anything to stand on its own

Basically if I don't like that stuff am I missing the whole point of the game?

Well, the problem with playing it as a card game is that it is fairly easy to break the game over your knee with extremely overpowered combo so it's not really...balanced? It's a narrative/atmospheric/mystery game first, the card game is made purposefully easy so people can experience the other content I think.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also some of the cards are specifically brought into the game by doing some stuff outside of the card game itself.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 21, 2021

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is this game fun/possible to play as just a card game while ignoring all of the escape room/puzzle solving stuff?

No. Progression ultimately requires engaging with the escape room puzzles.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody else doing their best to avoid totem fights? Regular fights and even the first couple boss fights usually aren't much of an issue, but those often roll me in like three turns flat. Usually it's not even a matter of the totem itself, just that they usually also involve more focused decks that poo poo so many enemies at me that I can barely react in time.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Came here from the Steam thread, had a few questions but got most of the answers already, just two left:

1 - How's its longevity as a card game? I understand that it's on the easy side, and that progression is tied to the escape room segments, but could I feasibly play the card game over and over again, possibly forever? Why yes I own Slay The Spire, why do you ask?

2 - Any "proper" horror moments or jump scares?

For reference I played the demo. If it stays at that level of creepiness I think I can play this! Though maybe I'll lower the volume on the music a bit.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Perestroika posted:

Anybody else doing their best to avoid totem fights? Regular fights and even the first couple boss fights usually aren't much of an issue, but those often roll me in like three turns flat. Usually it's not even a matter of the totem itself, just that they usually also involve more focused decks that poo poo so many enemies at me that I can barely react in time.

The totem fields can easily be an instant-loss if you don't pull the correct cards right away and the other side of the field gets stacked on the first turn.

Still, a great game overall and I like how there are more secrets to uncover. I might start the game over later on to check out some of this stuff myself.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Artelier posted:

Came here from the Steam thread, had a few questions but got most of the answers already, just two left:

1 - How's its longevity as a card game? I understand that it's on the easy side, and that progression is tied to the escape room segments, but could I feasibly play the card game over and over again, possibly forever? Why yes I own Slay The Spire, why do you ask?

2 - Any "proper" horror moments or jump scares?

For reference I played the demo. If it stays at that level of creepiness I think I can play this! Though maybe I'll lower the volume on the music a bit.

1 - The card game doesn't have the balance and continuously scaling difficulty of StS, but there are a lot of fun and creative ways to completely break the game mechanics over your knee, and if you get enjoyment out of finding these it definitely adds some longevity. I saw people on Reddit mention spending hours and hours on the demo trying to craft the perfect Death Card, and if you like that kind of stuff there will be plenty more opportunities as the game goes on. I completed two playthroughs and the second time around I definitely found a lot of neat exploits I missed my first time through, and the game even acknowledged several of them which felt cool.

2 - Nothing really worse than what's in the demo; there are some disturbing aspects to the story but no explicit gore or jumpscares or anything. Very little violence on-camera and none of it particularly explicit.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Im only early in the game so Im sure this is nothing but: holy poo poo does it loving own to put Bifurcated on the strongest card in your deck.

It now also wants to hop sideway each turn, but gently caress it: bifurcate grizzly :madmax:

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Just started playing this too, kinda hilarious the different ways the card game lets you break it over your knee

My first win was one where the game let me put Ants on all my squirrels, dropping X/2s every turn was hilarious and staggeringly broken

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Help I keep putting Fledgling on everything I can because I want to see what the gently caress they digivolve into, one day I'll put that on Child 13 and know true suffering. Also shoutouts to Strange Larvae, MVP all day every day, especially if you get two and feel like making a Choice.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
My death card ended up being a 7/7 1blood cost which i was able to pull fairly regularly with a magpie.

That coupled with infinite squirrels made that run easy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

goferchan posted:

I completed two playthroughs and the second time around I definitely found a lot of neat exploits I missed my first time through, and the game even acknowledged several of them which felt cool.

Act 1 spoilers: Leshy gets hilariously mad at the nonsense of using Stinky to lower the moon’s attack and I love it. Your rules, dude!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LegoMan posted:

My death card ended up being a 7/7 1blood cost which i was able to pull fairly regularly with a magpie.

That coupled with infinite squirrels made that run easy.

The deathcard that carried me through my first victory was a 0-cost 4/2 with bifurcated and submerge. I got that in my opening hand against the second boss and the boss got one-shot in both phases.

I also accidentally cheesed the final boss by having a card with Stinky when he dropped the loving moon on me. There's even special dialogue for it.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
That's nothing. My jaw dropped when I got a really good set up on the first round of the moon fight, only for it to end in one turn when my kill-on-damage cards attacked it and killed it immediately.

E: I really love this game because it just lets you do poo poo like this.

Catpain Slack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 21, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i somehow lucked into an endless loop of powering up ouroboros during one of my early runs. I had a bunch of deathless cards so I was able to keep sacrificing them over and over during the same round to end up with, uh, this:
https://i.imgur.com/x0d1v2W.mp4
very mild act 1 card spoilers. Dear god this took so long

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh lord, getting the undying totem for your squirrels is a fun way of getting poo poo on the table, fast. It's even better than the "doesn't die from sacrifice" totem, since you still get bones and can use them as disposable defensive blockers.

Still got completely murdered by the third boss, though. I had only two pelts to my name :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I find the best way to deal with the third boss is by making sure you have a couple of low-cost undying cards. Try to prioritize getting a cockroach early to sacrifice it on a 1 or 0 cost card. Then just intentionally let them get captured by the traps so they give you a pelt. Hold on to the pelts and dont play them at all. You get 1 extra pelt when he goes into his 2nd phase so you will be able to take 5 cards off of the board, making for an easy win

He's easier than the 2nd boss when doing this strategy imo

as for totems, ya the undying squirrel one is aces and basically a run winner, but Ive had real good luck with the perk that lets you draw any card you want. It basically means you never have to draw from your main deck since each squirrel will draw whatever card you want. Works great if you have a really good deathcard from before. I easily coasted to a win with this and a 6 4 no cost undying deathcard that powered up after one turn. That combo basically allowed me to win every non-boss match during the first round