Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Perestroika posted:

Oh lord, getting the undying totem for your squirrels is a fun way of getting poo poo on the table, fast. It's even better than the "doesn't die from sacrifice" totem, since you still get bones and can use them as disposable defensive blockers.

Still got completely murdered by the third boss, though. I had only two pelts to my name :negative:

Once you have that totem, you basically have infinite blood. You should prioritize getting good blockers and beefy creatures till you topdeck a win condition. You can use sacrifices and stuff to give undying sigils or deathtouch to key creatures that wipe out the board for you.

For example you could get a mantis god up to like 10/10 from risk free campfires if you feed a tapeworm or adder to the survivors.

Does anyone have any good deck builds for act 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like I missed out because I somehow didn’t unlock/find Ouroboros before finishing act 1 and god drat that looks like it’s some silly poo poo.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Bussamove posted:

I feel like I missed out because I somehow didn’t unlock/find Ouroboros before finishing act 1 and god drat that looks like it’s some silly poo poo.

i was able to one-shot the final boss' last phase with just that card, it was great

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LegoMan posted:

My death card ended up being a 7/7 1blood cost which i was able to pull fairly regularly with a magpie.

That coupled with infinite squirrels made that run easy.

I thought I did good by getting a 5/4 that's free* and attacks in both diagonal directions in front of it but dang.

* I had the luck of drawing a pelt card on my death card creation and was able to get the price from that

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cat + 2 Field Mice is an infinite bones combo

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I thought I did good by getting a 5/4 that's free* and attacks in both diagonal directions in front of it but dang.

* I had the luck of drawing a pelt card on my death card creation and was able to get the price from that

same, except mine was one blood to cast a measly bifurcated 3/2. still absolutely ran over every encounter with good ol' splitwolf.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kraftwerk posted:

Once you have that totem, you basically have infinite blood. You should prioritize getting good blockers and beefy creatures till you topdeck a win condition. You can use sacrifices and stuff to give undying sigils or deathtouch to key creatures that wipe out the board for you.

For example you could get a mantis god up to like 10/10 from risk free campfires if you feed a tapeworm or adder to the survivors.

I just used undead stuff. Just beef up the bone heap and win

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i somehow lucked into an endless loop of powering up ouroboros during one of my early runs. I had a bunch of deathless cards so I was able to keep sacrificing them over and over during the same round to end up with, uh, this:
https://i.imgur.com/x0d1v2W.mp4
very mild act 1 card spoilers. Dear god this took so long

................................................nice

Kraftwerk posted:

I just basically did a beast deck using skeletons instead of squirrels. Most of the fights in Act 2 don't seem to be able to block flyers so the birds tore them up pretty well. I threw in a couple bots just to be able to use that resource. I found most of the fights in Act 2 pretty easy once you get past (spoiler about Act 2 in general, nothing story specific) the idea of "oh god I have to make my own deck and what are all these different types". I think the fights are intentionally not that tough.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
So, uh, I found out you can do this to the goat card

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok, now that I'm deeper into this game...holy poo poo there are tons of secrets here, huh? This seems like a title that would have something hidden deep inside it for somebody to find 4 years from now or something.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StarkRavingMad posted:

................................................nice

I found most of the fights in Act 2 pretty easy once you get past (spoiler about Act 2 in general, nothing story specific) the idea of "oh god I have to make my own deck and what are all these different types". I think the fights are intentionally not that tough.

Yeah I feel like the game gives you enough rope to hang yourself and overcomplicate things there, but if you take a deep breath it's pretty easy to see the little ways things fit together. For example in Act 2, while they aren't strictly better in situations where you need to leave a blocker behind, in most cases swapping out Squirrels for Skeletons is a straight deck upgrade. They're still free, you can still sacrifice them, and they deal a point of damage if you leave them around for the turn. I know it was a big shock for a lot of people story-wise but I love the idea that in Act 1 you were just playing a game within-a-game run by one of the bosses from the game itself, who only really knew or cared about the mechanics that made up his own deck. Bones being in Act I too is an interesting touch, though, and I think it says something about the significant presence of the Bone Lord and the relationship between Leshy and Grimiora.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Palpek posted:

Ok, now that I'm deeper into this game...holy poo poo there are tons of secrets here, huh? This seems like a title that would have something hidden deep inside it for somebody to find 4 years from now or something.

One of his previous games hid the ending in a separate game that was released under a pseudonym and had no obvious connection.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Phoix posted:

One of his previous games hid the ending in a separate game that was released under a pseudonym and had no obvious connection.

Yeah, if you want to read the whole secret solution from Hex, it's here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/510420/discussions/0/3104564981103666800/

They did something with Beneath the Surface for this game, too.

Also, reading all that convinced me to pick up Hex, and it's pretty good, too.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 22, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, if you want to read the whole secret solution from Hex, it's here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/510420/discussions/0/3104564981103666800/

They did something with Beneath the Surface for this game, too.

Also, reading all that convinced me to pick up Hex, and it's pretty good, too.

The Hex is great. The last 30 minutes of the game or so (normal ending, no secret stuff required) is some of my favorite storytelling in a game ever. He absolutely nailed the ending.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

goferchan posted:

The Hex is great. The last 30 minutes of the game or so (normal ending, no secret stuff required) is some of my favorite storytelling in a game ever. He absolutely nailed the ending.

epic this

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Played this all day and I tried explaining what happens in the game to my friends but I just sound like a psychopath.

Yeah.. it's this card game. But it's horror themed. You have to sacrifice squirrels to play woodland animals, and you can pull your own teeth out. But that's just the first part, it gets way more hosed up after that.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm not sure exactly what my problem is with the card game, but I'm getting repeatedly wrecked by the first boss. I seem to be an idiot at card games in general, but I managed to beat sts a bunch of times so I can clearly do it.

I can't figure out what kind of strategy to even use in this game. Kind of at a loss.

Should I stop, back out and listen to stoat some more?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vasler posted:

I'm not sure exactly what my problem is with the card game, but I'm getting repeatedly wrecked by the first boss. I seem to be an idiot at card games in general, but I managed to beat sts a bunch of times so I can clearly do it.

I can't figure out what kind of strategy to even use in this game. Kind of at a loss.

I kinda brute-forced my way through the first part, and feel kinda stupid after checking how everyone broke the game in this thread.

I just reached the second part of the game.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I found a really effective card to get on Act 1 is mantis or the uh, mantis god? mantis king? whatever it's called, the one that attacks 3-ways, and get it to have 3 damage or more, ideally on a low cost card. It's good to either sacrifice it and get the sigil on a death card, or just get the base card upgraded via a campfire. Quite easy to do and you can kill bosses in a single turn with one card if you get the right draw and placement. Extra bonus if you can also get flying sigil on it, and if you can get some extra health on it.

I've spoilered it, but really nothing in there is spoiling anything, it's just an incredibly basic, easy-to-get but very powerful card you can build to beat act 1 easily.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Vasler posted:

Are you doing what stoat is telling you to do - attacking his mule first?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Why did I pick a three cost Death Card?? I thought it was only aesthetic aaaaaargh

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Artelier posted:

Why did I pick a three cost Death Card?? I thought it was only aesthetic aaaaaargh

Don’t worry, you’ll get more chances to make better ones! :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm not enjoying Act 3 when it comes to visuals and the overall atmosphere. I feel like I'm playing Inscryption: run-off-the-mill AA combat game edition. I get how it fits into the game conceptually but when it comes to actually playing through it it's just somewhat boring and not pleasant to look at when compared to previous acts.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Pharoah's Pets+Ouroboros+Hammer=unlimited stats in 1 turn. Which makes the rest of the deckbuilding a little academic.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Palpek posted:

Are you doing what stoat is telling you to do - attacking his mule first?

Yeah...and I still get my rear end beat. I don't have the mantis card yet so maybe I need to walk around outside of the game more.

How are you folks getting so many opportunities to upgrade your cards? Either I'm making the wrong choices or, well, I don't know, because I generally seem to get one campfire and either/or an upgrade/item drop. Clearly I need to stop taking (and using) item drops.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Palpek posted:

I'm not enjoying Act 3 when it comes to visuals and the overall atmosphere. I feel like I'm playing Inscryption: run-off-the-mill AA combat game edition. I get how it fits into the game conceptually but when it comes to actually playing through it it's just somewhat boring and not pleasant to look at when compared to previous acts.

Yeah, I think it's the weakest part of the game, but that said, the boss fights in it were great and a major high point for me, and while most of it's hidden, there's some cool lore stuff in there. Personally I was frustrated because so much interesting story stuff happens in Act 2 and then P03 sits you down and refuses to tell you poo poo about what's going on. I feel like that kind of blue-balling was definitely intentional, but it still tripped up the momentum somewhat.

edit:

Vasler posted:

How are you folks getting so many opportunities to upgrade your cards? Either I'm making the wrong choices or, well, I don't know, because I generally seem to get one campfire and either/or an upgrade/item drop. Clearly I need to stop taking (and using) item drops.

No, consumable items are definitely useful, but if you're prioritizing them on the map then make sure to be using them regularly because an item spot will refill your items to full and if you're still hoarding some when you get there then those slots are effectively wasted. Mantis God isn't a special unlock iirc, but it is fairly rare. Assuming you have a sigil to put on something, probably the most powerful spot in the board is the altar and I'd try to hit those at all costs -- not only does it let you create a more powerful (sometimes totally broken) card, it also thins down your deck size and makes you more likely to draw into the cards that you actually want. Even a low-impact outcome like giving flight to your stoat or whatever is a huge boost to your overall card quality-- instead of having a chance of drawing a vanilla 1/2 or a 1/1 with flying, now you'll draw a 1/2 with flying instead, which is almost always a better option than both of those.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 22, 2021

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Vasler posted:

Yeah...and I still get my rear end beat. I don't have the mantis card yet so maybe I need to walk around outside of the game more.

I got my rear end beat too, over and over, to the point where I was really feeling like an idiot because there were a lot of posts talking about beating it first try. And then I got a combination that just rolled over all the bosses and I beat it. Looking back at it I think I did understand how it worked, I wasn't really missing anything, and it's just really swingy sometimes.

I know once I got the squirrel head everything changed, because it seems to come up with some really good combos. Infinite squirrel is really strong, as is spiky squirrel, and I actually managed to beat the game first time with pack squirrel.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

goferchan posted:

No, consumable items are definitely useful, but if you're prioritizing them on the map then make sure to be using them regularly because an item spot will refill your items to full and if you're still hoarding some when you get there then those slots are effectively wasted. Mantis God isn't a special unlock iirc, but it is fairly rare. Assuming you have a sigil to put on something, probably the most powerful spot in the board is the altar and I'd try to hit those at all costs -- not only does it let you create a more powerful (sometimes totally broken) card, it also thins down your deck size and makes you more likely to draw into the cards that you actually want. Even a low-impact outcome like giving flight to your stoat or whatever is a huge boost to your overall card quality-- instead of having a chance of drawing a vanilla 1/2 or a 1/1 with flying, now you'll draw a 1/2 with flying instead, which is almost always a better option than both of those.

Yeah, the sacrifice altars are the most powerful spaces on the map

The two key fracture points are:
- A powerful sigil on a card too cheap for it (eg. Death Touch or Immortality on a 0 or 1 cost card)
- A scaling sigil on a card with higher stats than it should (eg. Spikes on a high health card, more than 1 attack on a dual/triple attacker)

Getting hold of either will break the game and, if you can’t get enough during play, the death cards are pretty much designed to steadily pour broken cards into the pool

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I got out of the cabin last night and started the Pokémon TCG portion of the game. So far I love it and I love how it just keeps growing

What drew me to the game was the idea of a rougelike deck builder that was also and escape room game. I need more games in my life that are in of themselves puzzles to be solved.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Where there things in the cabin or other free roam areas that were red herrings because there were things that never materialized

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Once I got the three blood sigil on my squirrels, but I still managed to lose to the Trapper because I didn't have enough furs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Having finished the game, I really just wish we had more of Act 2. It was kinda intentionally made easy so that you can just breeze through it if you don't like CCGs, but hot drat I love CCGs and I love how every color has it's own different type of mana. I'd play a whole game of this.

Anyways, I'm also one of those people who played Pony Island and skipped The Hex, but everything I've played from Mullins is pure gold so I think I'm gonna have to go back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Hex was great and I've yet to play Pony Island.

And what's this I hear about Mullins (fake) attacking a fan in a park?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

LegoMan posted:

Where there things in the cabin or other free roam areas that were red herrings because there were things that never materialized

I think everything has a use or is at least a reference to another part of the story.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Hex was great and I've yet to play Pony Island.

And what's this I hear about Mullins (fake) attacking a fan in a park?

People were looking at the coordinates that could be seen in the Luke video where he goes to dig up the Inscryrption disk and talking about going there and digging to see if anything is actually hidden there, so I think Mullins put up a video/staged an event where two people went there to dig and were attacked and killed by him, so that there wouldn’t be a horde of random people digging all over a forest because of his game. Basically signaling that people shouldn’t do that to try and solve the ARG portion of the game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Vasler posted:

Don't forget to use your items for the first boss. You really in general want to use items anywhere they will help you because you will get more easily (unless you haven't used your others ones) as well as from the pack animal I think. I managed to beat it on my first run and then my second run the next time.

Crucial thing to remember about the first boss is go after the pack animal and DON'T win the first phase with a full slate of animals. They will all be turned to gold leaving you pretty hosed since you'll have nowhere to put animals down. What you want to do is make sure to have only one or two creatures max when you beat the first stage so that you still have room to play creatures in the second phase. I managed to beat the first phase after just getting a single powerful animal down, attacking for two turns, and then using the pliers to push the scale over the edge. Then I had three free spaces and a bunch of cards saved to be aggressive on the second phase which made it pretty easy actually. So if you're on the verge of winning the first phase sacrifice as many animals as you can so there are as few out there as possible.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Phoix posted:

I think everything has a use or is at least a reference to another part of the story.

I never got the hammer or scepter off the wall in the cabin. The globe didn't do anything that I saw. In act 3, I never figured out the sequence on the spinning puzzle. I managed to spin the camera and time the flash to see the wall but it never really gave me any info.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So, I may have had a glitch in the game. Spoilers:

did anyone else have, after beating Leshy in the cabin in part one, having the struggle for the camera, and then walking forward to touch the new game symbol, a sequence where you’re back in the cabin room but it is completely dark other than seeing the closed door with a candle behind it? The only way to move forward was to rotate twice to the right and take two steps forward, then repeat. I was stuck there for a while before finally quitting to start menu and trying new game. Does that happen to everyone or did I get a glitch?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

fr0id posted:

So, I may have had a glitch in the game. Spoilers:

did anyone else have, after beating Leshy in the cabin in part one, having the struggle for the camera, and then walking forward to touch the new game symbol, a sequence where you’re back in the cabin room but it is completely dark other than seeing the closed door with a candle behind it? The only way to move forward was to rotate twice to the right and take two steps forward, then repeat. I was stuck there for a while before finally quitting to start menu and trying new game. Does that happen to everyone or did I get a glitch?
That happens to everyone and is the point because it needs to undo everything Leshy did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hostile V posted:

That happens to everyone and is the point because it needs to undo everything Leshy did.

Right, I get needing to new game, but everyone gets stuck in the dark room as well? It just seemed weird to have the restricted movement part