Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

It's "Scrybe of the Dead" from the soundtrack.

ty. I thought that song was added with Kaycees Mod so I couldnt find it by searching the new tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It sucks that there's not a more 'modern' version of it, like Leshy's.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just got this the other day and got to the 4th area tonight. Seems ridiculous I dunno how I was even supposed to deal with that.

Game is awesome though. I love the style so much.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Got all the achievements once again:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Man there's something that never gets old about finding crazy powerful exploit decks. I pretty much always rely on mantises, but I just unlocked a starter deck with Gecks and Tadpoles and boy oh boy can you do some nice stuff with that if you get the right sigils.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there an actual reason why some of the card art changes after a while or is it just kind of there for a goof?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you mean the stoat, stinkbug and one-eyed wolf, then yes there are reasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok. So I have gotten to the point where I beat him most of the time. The last few times he just tries to get me to eat a pile of poo poo at the end...But there is more to the game right? I have seen snippets of stuff I haven't seen in the game yet. How do I progress? Obviously just winning doesn't do anything and I have looked all over the room. I haven't figured out how to do the cukoo clock, I'm not really sure how the framed case works, and there is some sort of wand sitting above the rule book. But I don't know what to do with any of it or how to trigger a next phase(?)

Help?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Ok. So I have gotten to the point where I beat him most of the time. The last few times he just tries to get me to eat a pile of poo poo at the end...But there is more to the game right? I have seen snippets of stuff I haven't seen in the game yet. How do I progress? Obviously just winning doesn't do anything and I have looked all over the room. I haven't figured out how to do the cukoo clock, I'm not really sure how the framed case works, and there is some sort of wand sitting above the rule book. But I don't know what to do with any of it or how to trigger a next phase(?)

Help?

Non-spoiler answer: Any items you haven't used yet?

Spoiler answer: You have to use the knife. What you need to do after that should be fairly clear

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

veni veni veni posted:

Help?

By the framed case, do you mean the cabinet behind the dealer, to the right of shelf with the skull and globe, that you unlock with the key? How that works is you arrange the tiles, which represent cards, to create a situation where you deal lethal damage to the opposite side of the board. It's not as simple as getting the highest numbers on your side of the board and lower numbers on the enemy's side, you have to pay attention to what the sigils do and imagine what effects that will have on the board as the attacks go from left to right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What happened was early on I picked the crazy eyeball and have absolutely no memory to the very obvious hint after you put it in. Either it didn't show up or my dumb self didn't think to get up and check the clock at that very moment and forgot about it. So I was just playing while progressing nothing.

By the framed case I meant the shadowbox. It was empty, now it has a couple of cards in it. No idea what it's for or how to interact with it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

What happened was early on I picked the crazy eyeball and have absolutely no memory to the very obvious hint after you put it in. Either it didn't show up or my dumb self didn't think to get up and check the clock at that very moment and forgot about it. So I was just playing while progressing nothing.

By the framed case I meant the shadowbox. It was empty, now it has a couple of cards in it. No idea what it's for or how to interact with it.

That one is pretty straightforward but also entirely optional for making story progress - doing it correctly basically gives you bonus items that will make progress easier if you are struggling at the card game part but since you've already beaten it at least a few times you likely don't need the help.

As for what to do specifically with it: You need to reproduce the board arrangement depicted in the picture. It's randomized each run so sometimes you just won't get the cards you need to do it. The cards on the other side of the table don't matter, you only need to have your own side matching. When you do it you'll hear a noise and the picture will open up to give you an item. You can do it 3 times and you get a different, permanent bonus each time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ah, Nice. Thanks

Well.I'm in act 2 now. Was not expecting this... This game rules

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Also is fecundity the only way to make an ant deck really work? I think kaycee mod messes with fecundity, maybe just lets its happen on draw rather than infinite ants. Been a while since I played OG so maybe always been this way.

The mod removes the sigil from the spawned card if it's printed, so you can't chain it as easily.

There are a few different ways I've found to get the ant deck humming. Usually I focus on getting a good combo of sigils on the Ant Queen and the insect head totem to spawn more ants or generally speed up the deck.

One thing that may not be obvious is that I think spawned cards on the board keep any sigils that have been applied to the spawner, so Dam Builder and Bellist can get pretty silly when applied to Ant Queen.

Getting things like Unkillable or Worthy Sacrifice on a Dam Builder is a fun combo for a lot of deck types as well.

Popoi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 24, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to finishing this and goddamn. One of the coolest games I have ever played.

Which of his other two games is better? I'll probably check them both out should I start with Hex or Pony Island?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Finally got around to finishing this and goddamn. One of the coolest games I have ever played.

Which of his other two games is better? I'll probably check them both out should I start with Hex or Pony Island?

I would say Pony Island, I think both are good games and Hex has a bit more to it but by Pony Island nails what it's going for pretty well

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The Hex is longer and split into chapters. That means it has a lot of variety in terms of gameplay mechanics. Some of the mechanics might get kind of stale quickly but you have to do them to complete those sections. Pony Island is shorter and easier to just kind of knock out, but relies on evolution of one mechanic. I liked that mechanic well enough that I didn't get super bored of it, plus the length of the game kept things moving pretty well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jesus Christ Kaycees mod is hard compared to the normal game.

Also thanks for the recs

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I've got to one of those pick a card areas but it wont let me pick a card or progress. Not frozen cause II can still get up and walk around and access the menu, it just won't finish the card dealing animation.

Edit: fixed it, old mod needed an update.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 19, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm curious about how some of the more PC centric stuff like the archivist will be handled on the Playstation version that comes out tomorrow.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

I'm curious about how some of the more PC centric stuff like the archivist will be handled on the Playstation version that comes out tomorrow.

Well, I beat it on PS5, so what do you need to know

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Bought it for the Playstation, I really loving suck at this game.

I've unlocked all of the unlockable stuff - the clock, all four drawers, I even have the head on the shelf. I once had a 9/6 wolf for two blood. I had where I can sacrifice squirrels for three blood each. I had a death card that would do 7 damage bifurcated. I've made it to the final guy twice. It's just...my deck gets so big by the end, I can't draw the good cards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

CornHolio posted:

I've unlocked all of the unlockable stuff - the clock, all four drawers, I even have the head on the shelf. I once had a 9/6 wolf for two blood. I had where I can sacrifice squirrels for three blood each. I had a death card that would do 7 damage bifurcated. I've made it to the final guy twice. It's just...my deck gets so big by the end, I can't draw the good cards.

The game is a bit of a puzzle, you should think about why the guy at the end is beating you and if any specific cards might help.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CornHolio posted:

What all did you get out of the clock? Maybe try talking to the slime guy.

Seedge posted:

Well, I beat it on PS5, so what do you need to know

I double dipped and bought it on PS5 so I'll find out soon enough.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CornHolio posted:

You should have squirrel totems, and those are most useful with something like Magpie as the effect so you can mill cards quickly. If you're seriously struggling with the final phase of the fight, here's a tip that 100% works and will utterly invalidate the fight (break glass in case of emergency, cant put the cat back in the bag mechanic spoiler): bring a stinkbug. can't add more to his attack value if he cant attack :cawg:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it just me or does the starvation mechanic totally suck?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kaycee's mod is starting to piss me off. It starts out super fun but after a while it starts to feel like rng bullshit that will just throw you into an unwinnable battle without having the decency to just tell you up front that you are hosed and there is no way to win. Also, for a "deck builder" it sure seems like building your deck is the absolute worst thing you can do, which is dumb as hell. Feels like I should avoid getting new cards at all in favor of trying to buff a small deck, because after a certain challenge level, any card that isn't op is more of a liability than an asset. Also gently caress totem battles. They aren't poo poo in themain game but in the DLC they can just be instant lose.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Kaycee's mod is starting to piss me off. It starts out super fun but after a while it starts to feel like rng bullshit that will just throw you into an unwinnable battle without having the decency to just tell you up front that you are hosed and there is no way to win. Also, for a "deck builder" it sure seems like building your deck is the absolute worst thing you can do, which is dumb as hell. Feels like I should avoid getting new cards at all in favor of trying to buff a small deck, because after a certain challenge level, any card that isn't op is more of a liability than an asset. Also gently caress totem battles. They aren't poo poo in themain game but in the DLC they can just be instant lose.

Yes, the optimal strategy was always a lean deck outside of abusing the 1 blood deck mechanic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I could play a dozen more games like part 2. How are pixel and open world the two most overused mechanics while pixel open world deckbuilder CCG is so uncommon.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

No Wave posted:

I could play a dozen more games like part 2. How are pixel and open world the two most overused mechanics while pixel open world deckbuilder CCG is so uncommon.

I'm guessing you've played the Pokemon GB game that it's heavily inspired by?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Superrodan posted:

I'm guessing you've played the Pokemon GB game that it's heavily inspired by?
Ha yes. Love that game one of the greats. I'm surprised it took 20+ years for someone to rip it off (in a good way) so directly.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Hard agree! I kind wish that section of the game had been a lot longer, maybe even take it’s gameplay for Act 3 but keeping the same plot.

I wonder if you could so some sort of life sim Stardew Valley type game with card battling with constricted decks as it’s gameplay, and boosters and rare cards as the rewards for various activities, seems fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Both Act 2 and 3 make me feel like there was supposed to be more to the game. Don't get me wrong I think the final result was masterful but in act 2 there so many new cards you barely get to use and in act 3 4 full on visual motifs have been created for the other scrybes that are used for just a few minutes. I feel like it worked well from a narrative standpoint, but it did feel like there was some level of gameplay and player choice that just never made it into the game.

I'd really like to see an expansion to Kaycee's mod that includes Act 2 and the setups with the scrybes from the finale. I would gladly pay like $20 for this or maybe more.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played this on PS5 and had a great time. Dabbling in Kaycee's mod makes me appreciate how he knew how to quit and move you on to something else in the main game because act 1 does not hold up as a balanced roguelike challenge. It's just: was I able to keep my deck lean enough and draw my OP cards? Y/N. Played one match where he started with 2 ants and the diving flyer. Bullshit!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kaycee's mod is really fun but after a while once it starts to be impossible without a really specific single strategy, the cracks start to show. After level 6 I feel like there is almost no wiggle room to try and build fun and varied decks. It's always just buffing 1 blood poo poo and trashing as many cards as you can.

It's fine. It's meant to be a single player narrative experience based around making OP cards, so it's cool they were able to get some mileage out of the rougelite thing. It's just a bummer that it isn't balanced better.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Kaycee's mod is really fun but after a while once it starts to be impossible without a really specific single strategy, the cracks start to show. After level 6 I feel like there is almost no wiggle room to try and build fun and varied decks. It's always just buffing 1 blood poo poo and trashing as many cards as you can.

It's fine. It's meant to be a single player narrative experience based around making OP cards, so it's cool they were able to get some mileage out of the rougelite thing. It's just a bummer that it isn't balanced better.

It does not necessarily need to buffing 1 blood card. There are all challenge runs that use the black goat search tactic, high cost cards, Dire Wolf (the card itself or its sigil), ant totem, etc. Nonetheless, I do get your point that, no matter what strategy or what deck you choose, the decks with the better chances are lean decks that have OP cards or setups.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
A game with Inscryption’s aesthetics and Slay the Spire’s balance would be a killer app, but ultimately that’s not the game he was trying to create and that’s fine, it’s amazing at what it is.

Still, you can’t help but wonder at what could have been, I think that’s why so many people were clamoring for what eventually becoming Kaycie’s mod at first.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

To be more of a "proper" roguelike deckbuilder you'd probably need to drop most of the mechanics around building up your individual cards and focus more on building the deck out of existing ones in a fixed state. Allowing players to effectively design their own cards was always going to be a balance nightmare. Fortunately, this is a game where balance is a polite fiction that only really gets in the way of you seeing the story, so it's fine to do away with it. But if you wanted to take the core mechanics and aesthetics to make a serious deckbuilding game that would be the place to start, I think.

Which if course means you're throwing out most of the game outside act 2. How many events aren't based around modifying your cards?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah considering the circumstances I don’t see it a failure of the game. It’s just hard not to want a version of inscryption that you can play forever because it’s such a fun game and the aesthetic is so much more appealing that something like slay the spire to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That kinda comes down to what each system was developed to be. Slay The Spire was developed as a mechanically tight game whose story is, uhh, yeah. Inscryption is a story told through very fun mechanics that support the story.