Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So you're saying what awaits this crew is the perfect storm... of fishing success??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So you're saying what awaits this crew is the perfect storm... of fishing success??

Indeed! They just couldn't fit the whole title in.

They caught so much fish, they could all retire and live happily ever after, in their boat homes, drinking sailor jerry's rum!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Captain Blood is an old Errol Flynn movie where hes a pirate captain and it is awesome

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mHhr-aaLnI

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

AND it's a true story so all those fishermen are still alive, happy, and healthy in their cable knits!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Sounds like the song about the completely uneventful iron ore delivery of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Amazed no one posted Deep Rising yet, a boat AND a bonus jetski!

!!!! creature spoilers !!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g959vHlzP6w

Also if submarine movies count, deep sea drilling rig movies have to count too right?

Leviathan
The Abyss
Deep Star Six

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Heavyweights has a scene where the healthy kids fly by in a speed boat yelling "you stink stink stink stink stink ah ha ha"

The lesson here is don't be a fat tub 'o lard and be in the water.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Itchcock's da boids

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Szyznyk posted:

Sounds like the song about the completely uneventful iron ore delivery of the Edmond Fitzgerald.

Delicious Ice Cream on the Bounty

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

K-19: the Loving Wife Maker

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Poseidon Everything Was Okay

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Enclosed Water

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
All is Lost is the best boat movie.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Captain Blood is an old Errol Flynn movie where hes a pirate captain and it is awesome

yes

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Hunt for Red October.

Also if we're including series, The Terror's first few episodes are set on two ships.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Wifi Toilet posted:

Also if submarine movies count, deep sea drilling rig movies have to count too right?

Leviathan
The Abyss
Deep Star Six

Deep rising rules

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

The Captain Stabbin movies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Vernii posted:

Hunt for Red October.

Also if we're including series, The Terror's first few episodes are set on two ships.

Hunt for Red October is one of the movies you watch in your wood paneled study while drinking straight whiskey from a very thick rocks glass and hiding from the people you love and your feelings about them.

Like a lot of boat movies

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Wifi Toilet posted:

Leviathan
The Abyss
Deep Star Six

You beat me to it. Deep Rising kicks so much rear end.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Vernii posted:

Hunt for Red October.

that film has quite a few funny scenes, but the best one is where sean connery kills putin

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Honestly one of Tim Curry's best roles and that's saying something. It's one of the few times he gets to play a bad guy who's cold, competent, and physically violent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Here's what I don't get about Hunt for Red October:

So Sean Connery explicitly says at the end that he defected and gave his boat to the Americans because he realized that his fancy new Soviet submarine with its ultra-quiet caterpillar drive would be used to launch a nuclear first strike. But what's stopping the Soviets from just building another one and then launching a first strike with that?? They kept the plans, right?? I mean it's a totally silent vessel, even if you have one on hand to reverse engineer you're not going to magically figure out a way to detect another model with the same drive. It's not like finding a code key or figuring out a way to disable a noise cancelling device. The engine runs silent. He basically averted nuclear war for however long it takes the Soviets to build another Red October.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Here's what I don't get about Hunt for Red October:

So Sean Connery explicitly says at the end that he defected and gave his boat to the Americans because he realized that his fancy new Soviet submarine with its ultra-quiet caterpillar drive would be used to launch a nuclear first strike. But what's stopping the Soviets from just building another one and then launching a first strike with that?? They kept the plans, right?? I mean it's a totally silent vessel, even if you have one on hand to reverse engineer you're not going to magically figure out a way to detect another model with the same drive. It's not like finding a code key or figuring out a way to disable a noise cancelling device. The engine runs silent. He basically averted nuclear war for however long it takes the Soviets to build another Red October.

yeah, and a single sub wouldn't have made a noticeable dent into america's nuke arsenal, so they could still have retaliated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Honestly one of Tim Curry's best roles and that's saying something. It's one of the few times he gets to play a bad guy who's cold, competent, and physically violent.

McHale's Navy? I didn't think it was that good.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This was a weird way for me to switch tabs from the "movies with boobs" spinoff thread

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Patriot Games might not be considered a traditional "boat movie" since most of the movie is not about boats. however this movie features one of Sean Bean's best death scenes, which does involve a boat, and which makes special use of the boat's anchor. so i think it is worthy of consideration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvAByCIqoOM

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
You idiots Das Boot is clearly, as the title suggests, a movie about a boot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hazo posted:

This was a weird way for me to switch tabs from the "movies with boobs" spinoff thread

After the success of that thread, I'm eagerly awaiting the coming of the "movies with boobs and boats" thread

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

After the success of that thread, I'm eagerly awaiting the coming of the "movies with boobs and boats" thread

Titanic

Ghost Ship

...?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mooey Cow posted:

You idiots Das Boot is clearly, as the title suggests, a movie about a boot

it's German for "this boot"

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The Terror is a fun book about boats that get frozen in the arctic in 1850s, AMC made a series (not a movie about it). i think the book did some parts better but the series has a better ending so hey

Under Siege is probably the stupidest boat movie of all time so there's that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

Under Siege is probably the stupidest boat movie of all time so there's that

i once saw Under Siege in Poland, overdubbed into Polish, with literally one guy doing every single voice in the movie with exactly the same pitch, cadence, and emotional expression. it was a vast improvement

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

McHale's Navy? I didn't think it was that good.

My film buff friend asked me to name 3 movies with Tim Curry in them decades ago and I told him Mchales navy, Home alone 2 and Congo and he got really mad that I wasnt playing the game right

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Did anyone say Moby-Dick yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMPW4R727QQ

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Milo and POTUS posted:

My film buff friend asked me to name 3 movies with Tim Curry in them decades ago and I told him Mchales navy, Home alone 2 and Congo and he got really mad that I wasnt playing the game right

Well then I don't understand the rules of your friends game. Had you said Comand & Conquer, Mighty Max, Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad he'd have you on a technicality.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tim Curry was in a wretched Titanic miniseries in the 90's. That had a lot of boats. Something bad happened to one of them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Down Periscope is the most accurate documentary ever filmed about the US Navy

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Pearl Harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

did anyone say das boot yet