Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Almost the funniest thing possible happened at the new trial:

Expert witness in "Rust" shooting trial points firearm towards judge before being corrected by bailiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Expert witness in "Rust" shooting trial points firearm towards judge before being corrected by bailiff.

the ghost of alec baldwin attempting to line up another kill

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That gun needs to be locked away

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Are we sure that isn't the cursed gun from the movie The Mexican?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

:ughh:

Malah
May 18, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That gun will never stop killing now that it has a taste for blood.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe they shouldn’t surround the guy handling the gun in the courtroom on all sides??

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Malah posted:

Like a rat or Cujo. Even if melted, the evil will still exist.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What he definitely did and should not have done was:
- Make T Shirts mocking crews demands for better treatment and safety.
- Create unsafe and dangerous working conditions
Doing any one of those means you're culpable for whatever wrongful death occurs.
- Existing as a person with too much money while doing the above.

He would be responsible for this death even if he didn't pull the trigger.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did the gun’s spiritual uncleanliness infect Alec, compelling him to commit his crime? Or… is it the other way around?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If anything this exonerates Baldwin and the armorer person and the entire production. When you get a cursed gun there’s nothing you can really do about it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nothing you can do about it? Staff an Oracle or priestess of the Moon to purify the weapon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
“Another question? How about I just fuckin’ shoot the judge?!”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Malah posted:

Finally, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' is unquestionably refuted

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

nyt posted:

The armorer who put a live round into the gun that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing with on the set of the film “Rust” in 2021 when it went off, killing the cinematographer, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter on Wednesday.

The conviction of the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, marks the first time a jury has weighed in at trial on the fatal shooting of the cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins.

She faces up to 18 months in prison. The sentencing date has not yet been set.

The 12-person jury delivered its verdict after two and a half hours of deliberations. Outside the courtroom, one juror, Alberto Sanchez, said that the jury had reached its decision easily, saying that it largely came down to the evidence that Ms. Gutierrez-Reed had failed to properly carry out gun safety checks.

“That was her job to check those rounds and those firearms,” he said.

Article

Malah
May 18, 2015

The armorer is certainly culpable for what happened, but it sucks that the grossly negligent production team seem to be escaping justice by throwing her under the bus.

Disappointing, but completely unsurprising. :regd09:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

we have reports baldwin's husk is no longer occupied.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Yet another reminder that Management will only look out for itself or their higher ups. When a manager tells you to let a security or safely protocol slide they are not the one at risk physically or professionally, it's always the the workers that get harmed when things go wrong.

She wasn't hired as a bad armorer she was a unqualified armorer and it was the Management dictates that made her into a bad armorer. Corporate culture can never do jail time, only the workers following disastrous orders pay that price in jail or injury.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
All of that is true as well as the armorer being a massive dipshit. There’s inexperienced and then there’s ’let’s shoot live rounds with the prop gun to pass the time’ level of stupid.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Not sure how I feel about how short a sentence she's getting. I mean I guess she'll never work again which is fantastic but still I feel like that's pretty light for what is basically criminal negligence causing death.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Not sure how I feel about how short a sentence she's getting. I mean I guess she'll never work again which is fantastic but still I feel like that's pretty light for what is basically criminal negligence causing death.

Rich kids kill more people driving drunk and see zero jail time. I'm sad that person is dead, and its dumb and preventable, but I dunno that justice is being served here.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

Rich kids kill more people driving drunk and see zero jail time. I'm sad that person is dead, and its dumb and preventable, but I dunno that justice is being served here.

Seems like your point is kinda scattershot

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

E. Revenant posted:

Yet another reminder that Management will only look out for itself or their higher ups. When a manager tells you to let a security or safely protocol slide they are not the one at risk physically or professionally, it's always the the workers that get harmed when things go wrong.

She wasn't hired as a bad armorer she was a unqualified armorer and it was the Management dictates that made her into a bad armorer. Corporate culture can never do jail time, only the workers following disastrous orders pay that price in jail or injury.

Management wasn't the reason live ammo was on set in the first place, that's still all on her.

Which is to say:

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

All of that is true as well as the armorer being a massive dipshit. There’s inexperienced and then there’s ’let’s shoot live rounds with the prop gun to pass the time’ level of stupid.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

E. Revenant posted:

Lol that's a really stupid take for this situation.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
This is mostly where I was at as far as her allowing live ammo on set. I read that as she didn't knowingly allow live rounds but lax prop security dictated from managment allowed others to taint the supply of dummy rounds with live ones without her knowing. An actual armorer would have caught the live rounds but see wasn't trained to do that and the set management also didn't want her controlling the gun and ammo "props" as strictly as they should have been.

If there is information that is more up to date than that from 2022 that would help me have a more accurate base of what happened.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

E. Revenant posted:

This is mostly where I was at as far as her allowing live ammo on set. I read that as she didn't knowingly allow live rounds but lax prop security dictated from managment allowed others to taint the supply of dummy rounds with live ones without her knowing. An actual armorer would have caught the live rounds but see wasn't trained to do that and the set management also didn't want her controlling the gun and ammo "props" as strictly as they should have been.

If there is information that is more up to date than that from 2022 that would help me have a more accurate base of what happened.

how about I just fuckin shoot ya

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

If Alex Baldtried just declared that he was going to personally put beans in every chamber of every gun himself, after being handed a revolver he'd toss the cylinder and carefully speedload it with beans from a pouch on his belt, that none of this would have happened.

However, if he did have an accidental discharge like there was old gunpowder from live rounds left in the chamber, and a black bean or worse-a kidney bean got fired out of the barrel at ballistic speeds towards someone, they got a fair shake from the gods of chance.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

E. Revenant posted:

Loving the "young armorer" angle. After all, according to the sacred rules of hollywood nepotism, mediocre progeny from famous people in the Establishment must be given a fair shake and extra compassion.

Sure the ammo supplier is sus as gently caress but it is the armorer's job to check this stuff.

Was it ever proven that the armorer and some of the crew would do plinking between shots, on the set, with the prop revolvers and live rounds?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I can't find anything regarding qualifications as armorer. She was a film school grad that worked in costumes? who the hell hired her.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

But how could an inexperienced, starry-eyed armorer know to make sure her guns didn't have actual bullets in them before handing them to known psychopath Alec Baldwin?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you hand a kitten to Alec “Shredder” Baldwin, know he will weaponize that kitten.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
gently caress is the modern internet trash. I can't find ANY text news that goes into detail on what was said in the trial. Yet I can find all kinds of 20 min to 1 hour long youtube videos that pad out 10 min worth of material.

Anyways, I'm coming to the conclusion that Gutierrez might actually have been so unbelievably incompetent that she never rattle tested the rounds that she was responsible for. Whether the lethal rounds came from the supplier or someone smuggled them on set she still never found them. The lethal rounds were scattered into multiple locations and were distinct with nickel coated primers. There is photo evidence of her with the lethal rounds at least a day before the killing. If she had done her job and just found one by routine testing then it would have been easy to find all of them and prevent the tragedy.

Ultimately we might never know where the live rounds came from because it didn't matter for the trial. Lethal rounds were on set and she didn't do anything to prevent them from being there. That's all on her and that alone was enough to convict.

My earlier statement is still true Production didn't want to pay for competence and Management didn't want to follow strict controls and both got their wishes. She is not an innocent scapegoat but there is still responsibly left over for running that mess of a set.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dividertabs posted:

But how could an inexperienced, starry-eyed armorer know to make sure her guns didn't have actual bullets in them before handing them to known psychopath Alec Baldwin?

That's the best part, it wasn't even her that handed the gun off, yelling "cold gun" without checking it. She let someone else do it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
if you really are having trouble finding written reporting, try adding movie industry publications to your search - variety, hollywood reporter etc.

here's something on the closing arguments, i searched "variety hannah gutierrez reed trial"

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rust-closing-arguments-hannah-gutierrez-reed-trial-1235932334/

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Alec Baldwin pointed a gun at someone, pulled the trigger, killed a human, and will not face consequences, lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

E. Revenant posted:

gently caress is the modern internet trash. I can't find ANY text news that goes into detail on what was said in the trial. Yet I can find all kinds of 20 min to 1 hour long youtube videos that pad out 10 min worth of material.

Anyways, I'm coming to the conclusion that Gutierrez might actually have been so unbelievably incompetent that she never rattle tested the rounds that she was responsible for. Whether the lethal rounds came from the supplier or someone smuggled them on set she still never found them. The lethal rounds were scattered into multiple locations and were distinct with nickel coated primers. There is photo evidence of her with the lethal rounds at least a day before the killing. If she had done her job and just found one by routine testing then it would have been easy to find all of them and prevent the tragedy.

Ultimately we might never know where the live rounds came from because it didn't matter for the trial. Lethal rounds were on set and she didn't do anything to prevent them from being there. That's all on her and that alone was enough to convict.

My earlier statement is still true Production didn't want to pay for competence and Management didn't want to follow strict controls and both got their wishes. She is not an innocent scapegoat but there is still responsibly left over for running that mess of a set.

Lmao

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

E. Revenant posted:

Armorer on a film set is strictly a ceremonial title, like being appointed Groom of the Stool. Somebody has to be the armorer on set, but it's just because somebody has to be.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
are you suggesting that my job is fake and all these loving stools i'm grooming are imaginary? charles shits like an otter, i'm talking 3x an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PookBear posted:

I can't find anything regarding qualifications as armorer. She was a film school grad that worked in costumes? who the hell hired her.

qualifications? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

my man this is a film set