Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Novo posted:

i am not a physicist or a firearms expert but it seems like plugging up a real gun and then putting blanks in it is maybe not the best idea

Usually there are multiple safety precautions taken, like plexi screens in front of crew and having a set armourer actually making sure the gun is safe before firing. I bet this was a squib load (a bullet lodged in the barrel) like what happened to Brandon Lee, and the storyboard called for an unfortunate take of Baldwin's character shooting directly at the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sophy Wackles posted:

Why would there be a bullet in the barrel of a movie gun in the first place? Like, I thought blanks didn’t have bullets.

Again, just a hunch but it was probably what's called a 'squib load', which is any obstruction in the barrel up to and including a lodged bullet. A blank round still has enough powder in it to push out a projectile. This is exactly how Brandon Lee died; somehow during production a bullet was negligently discharged and lodged itself in the gun barrel. The armourer neglected to check down the barrel before the gun was re-loaded with blanks, and the blank had enough energy in it to finish pushing the bullet out.

E:F;B, but I'd also add another hunch (in my limited and rudimentary understanding of guns) that the blanks they were using were particularly 'hot', that is loaded with lots of powder, for the cosmetic effect of lots of sparks and smoke (it was a cowboy movie after all). Maybe this accounts for the bullet having enough energy to have hit two crew members.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This miscarriage of justice would be hilarious if a woman hadn't died. What an absolute farce, I hope people never let Baldwin forget that his negligence killed her, as long as he lives.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Not sure how I feel about how short a sentence she's getting. I mean I guess she'll never work again which is fantastic but still I feel like that's pretty light for what is basically criminal negligence causing death.