Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I think Johnny Depp did it. Does he have an alibi?

Don't be dumb. This was being filmed an hour away from Albuquerque. Obviously it was Walter White. The cops were getting too close Jesse and Walter snuck onto the set and put real bullets into the cold guns to create a distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

if alec baldwin orphaned me I would kick his rear end

Why not get money instead? Out of court settlement payday. You've got him over a barrel, because even if he isn't legally responsible if Baldwin refuses the kid he orphaned a reasonable settlement his career is over.

Besides, you're 9, how are you gonna kick a grown man's rear end?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

punishedkissinger posted:

AD had been fired for a gun safety incident on 2019 production where a crewmember was injured by a negligent discharge.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2021/10/25/alec-baldwin-rust-search-warrant/

How do productions hiring "infamously negligent safety guy" keep getting insurance?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They don't have catering? Everybody has to pile into a bus and go to Arby's? This is not what the movies have lead me to believe about the movies.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

REMINDER: fanny means pussy

... in the UK. Do they still call them fanny packs there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pop pop tarts

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

suicide girl turned homicide girl

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

She's also said she was overruled on safety procedures.

Highly dubious about the planted rounds, but being overruled on basic safety procedures sounds pretty plausible with what we know from how the set was run. Even if true though, that still places a lot of blame on her for continue to work under such dangerous conditions.

One of the reasons they hire young unexperienced or unqualified workers for a job is because they are easy to push around.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is clearly some meta 4d chess advertising campaign. No one got hurt cmon now.

Everyone knows movies are fake.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Even if it is true would it matter? Armor is a job because one person is supposed to be responsible for checking that every gun is handled and loaded properly. Apparently the dummy rounds have a small hole normal rounds don't have, something that can be checked with a quick visual inspection. "This box should only contain dummy rounds" isn't an excuse to not do that quick visual inspection.

Oops, sorry for interrupting panty chat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Splorange posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/nov/09/rust-shooting-alec-baldwin-calls-for-police-to-monitor-gun-safety-on-film-sets

Sure, make the public pay for your lovely production safety. Why not. Saves having to hire competent crew.

loving genius.

Isn't that literally the Armor's job tho? Plus knowing stuff like how much powder to put in a blank so it goes boom but not too much boom.

That seems like something that might help more with liability than safety. The cop signed off on it so we're not at fault, and the cop has immunity so he's not at fault, so nobody is at fault.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

People working 14 hour days and getting a max of 5 hours of sleep probably have impaired judgement anyway. Not to the point where they can't function at all, but they definitely aren't going to be 100% after a few weeks. Real easy for standards to slip in that situation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dynastocles posted:

Yes, and that's good -- more safety regulations (and more enforcement, following of, etc) is good -- but no one called for the ending of using helicopters in movies. That's the very obvious point I was making.

Helicopters, like all heavier than air craft, are an affront to God and man and should be banned.

There, now somebody called for it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DandyLion posted:

Helicopters are an affront to God and in direct contravention to his natural laws. Their natural state is to be cast down into the pits of hell/fiery crater, but until then keep on runnin with the devil.

This guy gets it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

And hey, maybe it's not! Frankly I honestly don't think child actors should be a thing, for one. You can CGI them or write around them.

Agreed. Better to horrify audiences than exploit children.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

whether he pulled the trigger or not seems pretty inconsequential. if the AD gave him a gun and said cold gun he should have been able to leave it in a room full of children and the worst thing that could happen is they hit each other with it

That is true. OTOH even he said in that interview clip that he would never pull the trigger while a gun is pointed at anyone, so he had learned that bit of gun safety, presumably from the gun safety meetings on this or previous sets. He should also have been taught trigger discipline and not had his finger on the trigger at all until it is time to fire.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sentient Data posted:

I'm sad because this latest spin means the general public is even dumber than i want to believe. In a sane world his defense should be "of course i pulled the trigger, that was literally my job and what everyone expected me to do, and i only did so because we had multiple experts whose entire job was to make sure it would be safe to do so, and literally moments earlier we were reassured by the entire team that it was a perfectly safe course of action"

Acting like it matters at all if the trigger was pulled only serves to absolve the truly guilty people

There are millions of americans who want Baldwin to be found guilty of something because he made fun of trump. An extra bit of poo poo in the court of public opinion.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MAGA infiltrators snuck onto the set to sabotage baldwin's career.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

StrangersInTheNight posted:

But the optics would look better to feel guilty about it? That's what I'm saying - I've heard showing remorse can work in your favor in terms of the harshness of the sentencing in wrongful death cases. I don't think it's like how you should never apologize for a car accident, or how a doctor is advised not to apologize in malpractice settings. I could be wrong tho, IANAL.

Feeling guilty could be better optics in the court of public opinion, but not the real court. Feeling guilt is evidence of having done something wrong. If you did nothing wrong you should not feel guilt. Beep boop.

There are lawsuits and he's a big target. Alex Baldwin the producer is probably protected from direct liability by the production company. Alex Baldwin the shooter might still be found personally liable though. The production company will probably declare bankruptcy before any lawsuits even get underway. Baldwin presumably has deeper pockets than the AD or armorer so he's going to avoid admitting liability.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RatHat posted:

He's not directly responsible but he was the producer and it's indirectly his fault that the production was so sloppy. It's not murder though, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the armourer who gave him the gun was hit with a murder charge though

The armourer didn't give him the gun, she wasn't even on the scene at the time. She was also acting as a prop assistant because the production couldn't afford a full time armourer, lol. She set up the gun earlier and claims to have loaded it with the proper dummy rounds.

The assistant director took the gun off the prop table, called it "clear" without checking, and handed it to Alec. Of course he should have double checked the gun, especially since calling "clear" indicates you have checked the gun, but he wasn't the one who loaded the gun.

Last I heard no one was admitting to being the one who put the wrong bullets in the gun. If they can't prove that, it probably leaves a buttload of "reasonable doubt" for everyone else involved. Because it's possible their gently caress ups don't rise to the level of criminal negligence if a nefarious third party could have deliberately sabotaged the gun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yaldabaoth posted:

Implying the modern rightwing ruling class won't just attempt to wipe out everyone else by the end of the century.

Doesn't matter if they do. A few generations down some of their decedents become the poor relations and class struggle resumes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There was a time in the 90s when "Baldwin" was slang for "hot guy". Now it means "killer".

In Clueless she says “OK, OK, so he is kind of a Baldwin." That's gotta be confusing for people watching in the future.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sure okay posted:

I dunno man I'm not a fed but according to the article

they seem to believe they've proved it. DAs are not in the business of bringing charges they can't back up with conviction, especially with very public cases like this. Their careers are kinda tied to winning all the time

Unless the public is howling for blood and want to see this person in particular held accountable. In that case trying and losing may be better than being seen to "let him off". I doubt that's the case here though, chuds hated baldwin for SNL mocking Trump, but they've moved on to hating other people now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Infinite Karma posted:

That seems like a lot of assumptions you made. Those are definitely good ways to be safe around guns that any trained gun-haver would probably follow, but not all actors are trained gun-havers and a safety plan that relies on the weakest link in the chain (the untrained actor) to be safe is not a very good safety plan.

It's the actor's job to follow the safety precautions that were set by whoever is in charge of safety. If there's an instruction that you can't touch a gun unless you personally saw the armorer take it out of a safe, inspect it, and test fire it, and then have the assigned director hand you the gun while yelling "cold gun" then that's what you're supposed to do. Otherwise, it's not what you're supposed to do.

If the process is that the stunt director (not the actor) needs to watch the armorer do all that, and then they hand you the gun yelling "cold gun", then it seems like it's on the stunt director and the armorer.

Industry standards are not part of criminal law though. According to industry standards actors have no responsibility as long as they are following directions. That doesn't mean the jury will agree that the person accepting and firing a gun has no responsibility.

Baldwin wasn't some kid with their first big break nervously going along with whatever they are told. He absolutely had both the experience to notice that safety procedures on this set were sloppy, and the authority to refuse to go along with it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

canyoneer posted:

The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin isn't that he murdered a colleague/employee.
The funniest thing about Alec Baldwin is that his several-decades younger wife from Massachusetts pretends that she is Spanish.

If you really think about it aren't we all spanish tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FoolyCharged posted:

Playing with a real rear end gun by pointing it at people, resulting in their death, is actually something I'm a OK with saying is completely irresponsible behavior from anyone.

If he wasn't actively instructed to point the real weapon at people, doing so is absolutely a vital part of the chain of negligence leading to that woman's death. She would not have died if he had treated it like the dangerous object it was and not a toy, regardless of every one else's actions.

The facts that it was being used as a prop and that a person who was not the armorer (and quite frankly even if it had been her) declared it a safe weapon do not change the fact that he had a duty not to point the thing at a human being.

Have you considered that this is a cursed gun and it's impossible to not point it at people?

That guy is a gun expert testifying about guns and he needs an assistant there to keep the gun from getting away from him.