Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Rust: US Police to search arms supplier over fatal film shooting

Sounds like yet another person might share responsibility here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Alec Baldwin Seeks to Avoid Liability in Fatal ‘Rust’ Shooting

In an arbitration demand against his fellow producers on the film, he denied culpability in the killing of a cinematographer and said he should not be held financially responsible.

Biggest news on this fiasco in months. The most interesting points to me are how friendly Mr. Hutchins and Baldwin were until their TV interviews and the contract clause Baldwin is basing his defense on.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

Kind of disappointed the thread wasn't bumped because Alec Baldwin had shot another person.

There was a recent story about how the DA applied for emergency budgeting to help try this case which referenced the fact that Baldwin "might" be charged, but I didn't think that warranted a thread bump.

That meme though, that's worth a million bumps.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

https://abcnews.go.com/US/rust-assistant-director-david-halls-sentenced-deadly-set/story?id=98268586 posted:

The first assistant director for "Rust" has been sentenced to six months unsupervised probation as part of a plea deal in connection with the fatal on-set shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

In addition to six months unsupervised probation, the terms of the sentence include that Halls pay a $500 fine, perform 24 hours of community service, take a fire safety course within 60 days, testify in all hearings involving the shooting and have no contact with co-defendants or witnesses.

I don't get why they fought to have the sentence suspended given how light it is.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Alec Baldwin's Rust resumes filming after on-set tragedy

No mention of who is taking over as armorer. Though given their promise that "it will bar any use of working weapons and any form of ammunition" an armorer may not be necessary.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Looks like they're bringing involuntary homicide to the grand jury for Baldwin this time:

nyt posted:

Prosecutors will convene a grand jury to consider whether to refile an involuntary manslaughter charge against Alec Baldwin in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer who was killed on the set of the film “Rust” in 2021, New Mexico prosecutors said on Tuesday.

Prosecutors decided to reopen the case after submitting the gun for further analysis, which they said contradicted Mr. Baldwin’s assertion that he had not pulled the trigger.

“The forensic testing of the gun concluded with certainty that the trigger of the gun had to have been pulled for the gun to go off,” Ms. Morrissey said in the interview. She said the prosecutors intend to begin presenting the case to a grand jury on Nov. 16.

Before Mr. Haag tested the gun, it had been examined by the F.B.I., which broke parts of it during testing, a complication that is certain to be raised by Mr. Baldwin’s defense. In order to test the gun, Mr. Haag replaced the damaged parts with new ones from the same type of gun.

“Someone put a live bullet in a gun, a bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property,” Mr. Baldwin said in a television interview just over a month after the tragedy. “Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me.”

First I'm hearing that the FBI broke the evidence. I'd be surprised if they even get involuntary manslaughter through the grand jury given that fact.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

another indictment?

The first one was only dismissed because they tried to charge him under a law that didn't exist when he did his crime.

That Guardian article leaves out the best part of the investigation saga:

nyt posted:

They reserved the right to recharge Mr. Baldwin after sending the gun for further inspection. A new forensic report written by Lucien C. Haag determined that Mr. Baldwin must have pulled the trigger, finding that the gun needed two pounds of pressure to fire.

But in order to conduct the testing, Mr. Haag had to replace parts of the gun, which had been damaged by the F.B.I. during its own analysis. That complication is certain to be raised by Mr. Baldwin’s defense, who have called the revived prosecution “misguided.”

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
The BBC is live reporting from Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's trial.

The headline is naturally about Alec Baldwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

nyt posted:

The armorer who put a live round into the gun that Alec Baldwin was rehearsing with on the set of the film “Rust” in 2021 when it went off, killing the cinematographer, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter on Wednesday.

The conviction of the armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, marks the first time a jury has weighed in at trial on the fatal shooting of the cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins.

She faces up to 18 months in prison. The sentencing date has not yet been set.

The 12-person jury delivered its verdict after two and a half hours of deliberations. Outside the courtroom, one juror, Alberto Sanchez, said that the jury had reached its decision easily, saying that it largely came down to the evidence that Ms. Gutierrez-Reed had failed to properly carry out gun safety checks.

“That was her job to check those rounds and those firearms,” he said.

Article