Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i'm no gunologist but i'm pretty sure they can be stored in places other than random piles where any plinker can get at them over lunch

Is the assistant director with a history of actively fighting against safety precautions also facing charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you’re gonna big picture it, the entire industry that employs people like the AD and armorer is at fault. The AD in particular was an established big shot, presumably because he did his job faster and cheaper than someone who observed even the most rudimentary safety precautions. In a saner world, he would have been blacklisted after the first such stunt, and production would have stopped the moment union workers started walking out, if not way sooner. The real murderer is capitalism, etc. etc.

I’m not enough of an insider to assign a numerical value of culpability to mr. Baldwin himself, but it is definitely greater than zero and less than that of the two people whose jobs were specifically to ensure that he wasn’t handled a live gun.

E: like, baseline, he was doing a scab rehearsal with a real gun, after the camera people had walked out due to previous incidents, including two negligent discharges on set. That is negligence on his part.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 4, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Absolutely no safety concerns on a set that literally killed a person; everybody knows that you can’t make a movie without working 12-hour days and at least three random gunshots.

Fuckin ivory tower liberals all up in my mentions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite movie trivia is still that when they recorded the “Saruman dies” deleted scene, Sir Christopher Lee was instructed to scream his guts out, and he flat out refused and explained that he knows exactly what a dude getting stabbed in the lung sounds like.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Aardvark! posted:

pretty telling that that's the one that gets posted here, considering the tweet right before it. :rolleyes:

this is a good tweet and i won't hear a word against it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Bloop posted:

Literally the craziest thing I've ever heard of

Makes Blockchain crypto seem positively sensible

nah crypto is worse, it involves throwing money and resources into the void at no benefit to anyone

at least people who employ a findom get off

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
seen been

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
A friend of mine has had multiple older men approach him and straight up ask him to findom them. They get off on knowing that they're giving their money to strangers in return for nothing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kntfkr posted:

Like on the sidewalk or Grindr or what? I assume your friend is hot and relatively young

No, nothing quite so crazy. It was at a bar, which I think is the normal venue for prospective whales. He is very much hot and young, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Story going round back then was that there were just a handful of guns on a table (later established as the plinkin' pile), and the AD grabbed the nearest one and declared it cold.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
imo we can point cameras at people and have them do things to entertain us while killing zero of the people around the camera

that's my hot take

like sometimes people will die for unrelated reasons like illness or whatever, but i'm pretty sure it's possible to not do things that kill people like point guns at them or have them jump off spiders motorcycles or whatever for the sole purpose of having it happen in front of a camera

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He was doing a scab shoot after the camera crew had walked out in protest over, among other things, the previous misfire incidents.

At that point I really don't think anyone can reasonably claim they didn't know there was something wrong.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean the dude said the gun was cold, what, you think that wouldn't be good enough for you, just because there had been two negligent discharges on set already?

Well lah-dee-dah Holly Hindsight

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure if I were to take a life through a comedy of errors that resulted in me genuinely not being at fault, I'd still be haunted by it for the rest of my life.

That's just me though, I can't speak to the inner life of a famous actor who is definitely partially at fault.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How deeply baked is the "don't even touch any gun you haven't seen be verified right in front of you" procedure? I got the impression it was some universal contract or OSHA-level rule that meant you would be culpable for any consequences even if you were in a That One Hitman Level scenario.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
so I'm guessing there never was or will be a criminal trial?

like can't fault the dude for settling, everyone knows that civil litigation is a scam when there's a millionaire anywhere near it, but i feel like it's pretty core to the illusion of a justice system that they at least put in a token effort when a killing can't be swept under the rug

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Big fuckin stretch his rear end!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PookBear posted:

I loved that they call it a prop gun, when it was just a real gun.

a prop isn't a fake thing, it is a thing used as part of a performance or presentation

it was a prop gun

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's one human life, Michael, how much could it cost, 500 dollars?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Did they ever finish shooting the movie? Is it on DVD yet?

oh I don't think Alec will ever finish shooting

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Big rear end On Fire posted:

It's a movie set. People have different jobs. The armorer has the job of ensuring the props are safe to use. No way is this on the actor. They don't know what is real or fake, safe or dangerous.

If it had been a physical stunt where one actor falls onto another with a stunt coordinator arranging it all and something went wrong you'd not hold the falling actor responsible. You'd look to the stunt team for who screwed up.

Baldwin as a producer might be liable for other failings but as an actor it's not his job to understand if the gun he's holding has real cartridges or props. Hell, he probably didn't even know it was an actual firearm. I don't even understand why he was charged at all.

Sorry but that is completely bullshit. You are right that it is not the actor's job to oversee safety precautions, but your conclusion is rear end-backwards. It is absolutely the actor's job to observe that safety precautions are followed, by not doing anything stupid without the explicit go-ahead of the actual licensed security personnel. Which, a random producer yelling "cold gun" while tossing you an unsecured weapon off a random table is categorically not.

What he definitely did and should not have done was:
-accept a gun without personally seeing the armorer checking the barrel and all cylinders and test firing it to triple check that it is in fact unloaded
-pointing it at an unshielded person when it wasn't strictly necessary for the take
-pointing it at anyone at all without the supervision of a licensed armorer

Doing any one of those means you're culpable for whatever wrongful death occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Bad Purchase posted:

any one of us could've stopped alec baldwin

where were you?

easier said than done

I'll tell you where I wasn't, littering the path of Alec Baldwin as he made his way to his next target