Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Excuse me, her dad worked as an armorer for decades and she just happened to get the job on merit.

quote:

Gutierrez Reed got the job largely because her father, Thell Reed, is a legendary film armorer who worked on “Tombstone,” “3:10 to Yuma,” and “L.A. Confidential,” among many others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Cassette Moodcore posted:

So will Baldwin beat the charges? I read that script writer stated that the scene did not call for the gun to be raised and pointed but he did and cocked the gun as well.

Either way you'd think he's going to have to write a large check in a civil suit.

Jury trials are a gamble, but I'd bet he walks on manslaughter, the armorer's negligence as an intervening cause seems like way too much of a burden for the prosecution to get over. What the script called for doesn't really matter when there were at least two people, the armorer and the AD who pled, who have now an established legal duty to have ensured that the gun passed to the actor was safe. New Mexico requires willful disregard for the safety of others and that the death be foreseeable from their actions. Willful disregard to me is an armorer pulling rounds from a mystery grab bag of ammunition, willfully using prop guns to shoot live rounds on break. Playing with a prop gun that several people have a responsibility to make sure is safe is safe, in any fashion, doesn't do it for me. I honestly don't think this case would have survived a preliminary hearing if he hadn't been indicted.

A civil suit is a much lower burden of proof, and a lower standard of negligence, but there's still the hill to climb of proximate cause. I pulled an example of proximate cause from the internet:

quote:

If a car that is stopped at a red light enters into an intersection while you’re walking across it and strikes you, the car’s movement is the actual cause or cause in fact of the pedestrian crash.

But, if the car that struck you was rear-ended by a large truck that pulled up behind it and the truck caused the car to move involuntarily into the intersection, the truck was actually the underlying cause of the incident. Its failure to stop would be the proximate cause of the pedestrian accident.

Using this metric, one could (strongly) argue that while the actual cause is Baldwin handling the gun, the proximate cause is him being handed a gun he had good reason to believe was not functional.

Even then New Mexico is a pure comparative negligence state. So a civil jury award form would look something like this:

quote:

We, the jury, award the plaintiff

_________________________(Amount)

and apportion the negligence as follows (must equal 100%):

_______________________% Alec Baldwin
_______________________% David Halls
_______________________% Hannah Gutierrez-Reed
_______________________% Rust Film Company, LLC

So even if it's millions of dollars, there's a good chance that a jury is going to punish the more egregious conduct and mitigate what Baldwin has to pay.

That said, it's a gamble, and a huge stress. If there's a reasonable offer out there, I would assume he'd settle before it goes to civil trial.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I must have missed the greedy execs laughing at the dead cinematographer. Can some one link this?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

He's perfect casting for Alec Baldwin in this legal thriller I'm ripping from the headlines.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Playing with a real rear end gun by pointing it at people, resulting in their death, is actually something I'm a OK with saying is completely irresponsible behavior from anyone.

Congratulations, I guess. If the prosecutor can get 12 of you on a jury they've got it made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

quote:

Prosecutors said they offered Baldwin a “very favorable plea agreement,” similar to what David Halls got, but rescinded the offer after learning that Baldwin planned to accept the deal and create a documentary with interviews from case witnesses.

"We made an independent evaluation of the strength of the case and the culpability of a famous artist based on the facts and circumstances and made a plea offer that we consider to be fair.

But then we learned the mean old artist was going to make an art and threw the plea offer out the window to take a weak sister to the dance and we're gonna get nothing."