Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Yet another reminder that Management will only look out for itself or their higher ups. When a manager tells you to let a security or safely protocol slide they are not the one at risk physically or professionally, it's always the the workers that get harmed when things go wrong.

She wasn't hired as a bad armorer she was a unqualified armorer and it was the Management dictates that made her into a bad armorer. Corporate culture can never do jail time, only the workers following disastrous orders pay that price in jail or injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
This is mostly where I was at as far as her allowing live ammo on set. I read that as she didn't knowingly allow live rounds but lax prop security dictated from managment allowed others to taint the supply of dummy rounds with live ones without her knowing. An actual armorer would have caught the live rounds but see wasn't trained to do that and the set management also didn't want her controlling the gun and ammo "props" as strictly as they should have been.

If there is information that is more up to date than that from 2022 that would help me have a more accurate base of what happened.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
gently caress is the modern internet trash. I can't find ANY text news that goes into detail on what was said in the trial. Yet I can find all kinds of 20 min to 1 hour long youtube videos that pad out 10 min worth of material.

Anyways, I'm coming to the conclusion that Gutierrez might actually have been so unbelievably incompetent that she never rattle tested the rounds that she was responsible for. Whether the lethal rounds came from the supplier or someone smuggled them on set she still never found them. The lethal rounds were scattered into multiple locations and were distinct with nickel coated primers. There is photo evidence of her with the lethal rounds at least a day before the killing. If she had done her job and just found one by routine testing then it would have been easy to find all of them and prevent the tragedy.

Ultimately we might never know where the live rounds came from because it didn't matter for the trial. Lethal rounds were on set and she didn't do anything to prevent them from being there. That's all on her and that alone was enough to convict.

My earlier statement is still true Production didn't want to pay for competence and Management didn't want to follow strict controls and both got their wishes. She is not an innocent scapegoat but there is still responsibly left over for running that mess of a set.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

This image conveys just how hosed her practices were on the set.

-The marked round with the nickel primer is the live round. It's amazingly easy to spot and should have been checked just because it obviously doesn't belong.

-Dummies with indented primers and ones with smooth un-indented primers are mixed up. Only indented primer dummies should be loaded into guns. The cosmetic dummy flat primer rounds should never be in a gun because they are indistinguishable visually from live rounds.

-I can't find exact testimony but set rumor is that she would load that tray and rattle the entire thing to check for blanks. No one is going to hear the one silent live round out of all the other rattling ones.

Also we now have Dave Halls testimony from just before the killing. He's the Assistant Director who plead guilty for not checking the gun that was handed off.

-Gutierrez the armorer brought the gun unloaded to the church and Halls verified that it was an unloaded "cold gun".
-Gutierrez then loaded the gun after she had an unheard conversation with Baldwin.
-Gutierrez went back the Halls and rotated the cylinder a few times so Halls could check for depressed primers but he didn't count so he doesn't know how many he actually inspected.
-Halls declared it good and Gutierrez handed the gun to Baldwin

There was no reason for the gun to be loaded with dummies for a practice take. It will be interesting what comes out on why she or Baldwin decided to load the gun.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if you really are having trouble finding written reporting, try adding movie industry publications to your search - variety, hollywood reporter etc.

here's something on the closing arguments, i searched "variety hannah gutierrez reed trial"

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/rust-closing-arguments-hannah-gutierrez-reed-trial-1235932334/

Thanks for that it was good help.

Variety posted:

The prosecution presented sometimes blurry images, culled from thousands taken on set, that appear to show the live rounds were there at least 11 days before the shooting.

Absolute clownshoes that those rounds hadn't been found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

make it blink.
Might have been a real take then. My impression was that they were checking camera angles and positioning and that for the real take the camera person would be away from the viewfinder.

The gun only needed to be loaded with dummies just before filming and pointing the gun at a person even if necessary should have be done unloaded.