Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like . . books. I like to be surprised. I like happy endings and good vibes. I like books about platonic male friendships (Aubrey/Maturin, Frodo/Sam, Master Li and Number Ten Ox; Steinbeck's Cannery Row; Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood). I like well-done nonfiction on interesting topics. I like genre fiction if it has something unique and interesting about it. I like giving books to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Order placed!

Two separate shipments.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
package recieved!

But I am going to wait till around Christmas to open it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I got a big box in the post, and I opened it up to find...!

Thank you so much Hieronymous Alloy! These all look extremely cool. (Did you mean to send book 1 and 3 of Promethea? To trick me, a rube and a fool, into buying book 2? BOOK 2 ARRIVED SEPARATELY OH WOW) How extremely generous of you!

As for mine, I'm waiting on one last element, then I'm posting it out ASAP!

Glad you like them!

I'm glad you shared your Goodreads because I read your initial post and kept thinking of things ("Oh, the Invisibles would absolutely be the best thing to get weird looks on a bus") and then I'd see them marked as read in your Goodreads. That happened several times! It didn't help at all that you've consistently been participating in the Book of the Month so everything I know about through that you also knew about (The Peregrine, etc.)

So I had to dig kinda deep here.

GEB may be somewhat dated but most "Weird, wild, and strange" works of fiction or literature is either philosophical or just generally based on the wordy side of the brain, and GEB is weird math, so it's hitting from a different angle. I read it a long time ago; let me know if it holds up today still.

Promethea is the next weirdest comic I've read after The Invisibles, was intended by Moore to be a practical magical textbook, and should get you the desired weird looks on the bus.

Tell My Horse is a nonfiction work, constituting of an investigation of voodoo in Haiti by Zora Neale Hurston, who became a practicing voodoo practitioner in the course of researching the book. It contains the only known photo of a documented, real world, actual zombie.

There is one more book en route.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Thank you Santa!

Really looking forward to reading these!