Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (1) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

fool of sound posted:

I'm going to go ahead and open the thread back up to civil and productive discussion between posters since the mods probably aren't going to be around a ton overnight.

Yeah this is any ongoing issue that I constantly worry about and don't feel that I have a grasp on how to handle. I want D&D to be a place where people can respectfully and above all safely discuss abuse, but the current dont-ask-dont-tell-esque setup is awful and leads to an environment where no discussion can happen at all.

My observations are:
---Accusations of abuse need to be handled with utmost respect and circumspection; skepticism is weaponized against victims in order to silence them, especially by powerful people.
---Bringing up accusations as a litmus test of other posters is exploitative and highly disrespectful both to other posters an survivors in general; many posters have suffered abuse themselves, and labeling people as pro-rape is wildly out of line.
---Posters need to feel confident that they can share, discuss, and learn without risking severe punishment for honest missteps, unless they've severe. Survivors need to feel confident that should moderation be needed, that have someone they can trust to discuss the issue with them and act appropriately.

I'm particularly interested in hearing advice from people who have some experience or expertise in how abuse should be discussed. This is strictly voluntary, any poster who doesn't feel comfortable discussing this subject in this venue does not have to.

If you have ever bothered to actually read and consider the feedback threads, several survivors have told you about how the Tara Reade thread and D&D moderators handling of the issues has compelled them to give up posting in D&D because the things that were posted and the complete lack of follow-thru.

Some people might take that as an oppurtunity to do some introspection but I suppose we'll see you bloviate more confusion about how this could have possibly become so toxic and then lash out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Our secret hope was that everyone would move on from Tara Reade

I want to find a nice wordy D&D appropraite way to give constructive feedback to maybe achieve a simple lower signal-noise politics posting space that is friendly to leftist posters but you have Jeffery's backing so nothing is going to change anyway. Instead, I will post honestly:

eat poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)