Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fool of sound posted:

Yeah I agree that this is a major problem. The problem is there's a consistent tension between posters who feel that it's unfair when people do not assume good faith on their part, and posters who feel that they shouldn't have to humor people who they have determined to be posting in bad faith. Sometimes these are the same posters. I earnestly don't know how best to deal with this.

Here are two things you can do immediately.

1. If someone is acting like rear end in a top hat to other people, kick them out. "Decorum" is going to come up, but it's pretty clear from a good faith reading that the rest of the thread shouldn't have to constantly deal with the anger management issues of others. Not to mention that posting actual vile poo poo counts as acting like an rear end in a top hat, so you can easily nail the calm hitlers as well. There was a great conversation about the Facebook files in USNews until folks started to insist that if you didn't delete your account right then and there you were responsible and enabling of everything terrible that Facebook corporate was doing. the_steve came in when they found out and told them all to stfu, but that sort of poo poo shouldn't be tolerated in general.

2. Stop allowing people to reframe, restate or just make up out of whole cloth what someone else is saying. It's dishonest at it's core. The games of telephone I see here and elsewhere lead to random admins banning people for no good reason. It immediately pisses people off when their words aren't taken for what they are, you get the inevitable back and forth, and the troll wins by shutting down all useful discussion.

Additionally I'd like to add that "meeting effort with effort" isn't about decorum or word count, it's about supporting your argument when others do the same. It's not fair to anyone to spend time researching and getting sources only to get a shitpost in response. Furthermore, that's how we lose subject matter experts in our threads. The covid thread had a published epidemiologist leave because they were tired of having to constantly debunk poo poo. That's not their job, but because that sort of posting was allowed to continue, we lost a valuable resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not as pessimistic as most about the future, but when I see someone make a low-effort optimism post like "don't worry, everything will be fine if we just elect more progressives :keke:", it's like nails across a chalkboard to me. It's just empty hope with nothing substantial, just as meaningless as the "everything is hosed, we're all dead in 10 years" posts.

So why not try to offer something more substantial? There are a whole lot of threads here to just talk about things, but very few to talk about actually doing things. The mutual aid thread is the only one I can think of, and it's depressingly inactive.

Let's have more threads for doing things. Hell, let's have a whole forum for it. Like a LAN for local activism. Is there a protest in your city and you need more warm bodies? :justpost: Is the Local 69420 on strike and they need snacks? :justpost: Trying to organize support for a candidate, or running for office yourself? :justpost:

I know, goon projects and all that, but I think it really doesn't help to call someone a doomer if you don't offer them a way to make a difference. It's like telling a depressed person to just stop being sad.

The hard work of campaign volunteers has been regularly trashed in this forum, in the same way that work of other subject matter experts has been. Just ask the folks who worked to turn the VA legislature blue. They're never treated well for anything that improves the lives of real people and roundly mocked for any stretch goals that aren't achieved the first time around. They're harshly judged for not immediately becoming a perfect paradise regardless of how much ground is gained in the meantime.

The people doomposting aren't looking for way out, they're looking to make everyone else as miserable as they are.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just stop being such huge loving assholes to each other and kick people out who are. That’s it.