Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

My feedback on D&D is that the mods and admins need to decide what they want the subforum to be, and drop the facade of this being something that is going to somehow magically be resolved by the users.

On the one hand, there are posters that want to have debates and discussions. On the other hand, there are posters that want to screech about how evil their posting enemies are and call for them to be destroyed. These two camps are not going to be able to coexist in the same threads, and it's up to the mods and admins to decide which group they want to be happy with D&D. This is also not a CSPAM / D&D division - there are plenty of both on both sides of that.

If you want to please the people that want to debate and discuss, you have to start seriously enforcing the basic premise of debate: trying to pick apart positions based on facts and reasoning, and persuade others. Posters should be expected to state their actual positions, give supporting facts when asked, and explain their reasoning. Posters should be expected NOT to make vague accusations about what unspecified groups of other posters think, or call each other mean names. Some facts should be considered objectively true and not debatable, like the existence of concentration camps in both China and America. This route would also require much stronger mod enforcement based on behaviors - just actually ban people who make it difficult for others to debate. I'm not sure the mod team, or any mod team, is capable of moderating based on behavior rather than ideology on such charged topics as rape culture, immigration, or global hegemonic powers. Also, you've really gotta give up on the idea of "good faith," if it's a debate forum you gotta accept any debate that comes your way, whether it's a devil's advocate, troll, or seriouspost. Be good enough at debate to engage with it.

If you want to please the other group, the one that read the last paragraph and is now screeching "DECORUM! loving SNOWFLAKE!" in their heads, just stop moderating entirely, I can't even imagine what role moderation could possibly play in that world, except as executioners for the lynch mob. Assign moderators by RNG and rotate them every week, rename the forum "Posting Wars" and just let it disintegrate.

Point is, seriously, this has to be a decision made by Jeff / the admins / the mods. If you keep asking us, you will keep getting these two incompatible visions for the forum. If you go down the "self-moderating" route, you will de facto end up in the latter group as only the most hateful and combative posters are able to handle the atmosphere. I get that there's a desire to not "force" the forum to be one thing or another. But no matter what you do, a large number of posters will be unhappy, but twice as many posters are unhappy with the status quo.

Just grow a loving spine and make a decision already.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Change the name of the forum to "Just News, No Arguing." Permaban any post that does not contain a news link or similar. Easy.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I just want to take this opportunity to deny that there is any genocide going on inside of my body. The germs deserve it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

..harsh but fair

I got a couple effortposts in me queue, not sure where to post them now that Jeff took the qcs thread out behind the barn

:justpost:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

fart simpson posted:

made some charts. all of these are limited to the calendar year 2021, and only scraping data from public forums because i didnt log in to scrape the data

So is the takeaway here that D&D mods are the most heavy-handed, or that the forum is the most trolled, or what? (What's the key on charts 2 and 4?)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Why was I probated for providing my feedback on moderator behaviour in the moderator feedback thread?

It's kinda antithetical to probe feedback, especially when that feedback is that the mods are too probe happy and driven by ideological biases they either refuse to acknowledge it are unaware of.

"Mods are bad, also there is no genocide happening in Xianjiang" > gets probed, probe references the genocide denial belief > "Why was I probed for saying mods are bad?"

Is there a term for this? Where you do a neutral thing and a bad thing simultaneously, get punished, and then get riled up about the neutral thing? Is this what people mean by "bad faith"?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Best Friends posted:

Wouldn't this exact post, made by someone who isn't in the d&d in-group, be ban-able genocide denialism?

nope, it's part 3 of Fool of Sound's question. It's about whether you think the event happened / is happening, not the words used to describe it. Seems obvious!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

Do you think maybe the culture of D&D being super tedious might have something to do with it? That in those 7 years a combo of LF, GBS, and CSPAM have been must better outlets to read and post in? I generally don't post all that often anyway and mostly lurk but I read these forums pretty often since 2005.

The fact that you are so eager to dismiss opinions on the culture of D&D is part of the problem with the D&D mod team.

What I'm hearing is that GBS and CSPAM are environments you like posting in. Sounds like other people like posting in a different environment, one you call "tedious" but others might call "grounded in facts" or "reasoned." Sounds like the system is working, and you and people that don't like posting in or reading D&D should just stop posting in or reading D&D?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

I wonder if there was some big event a while back that made it apparent to the entire forums that the moderation of D&D was Bad, and maybe that's why a bunch of people just stopped posting in the forum entirely.

It'd be interesting if any of the current moderators were then-superstar posters who were promoted during that event.

This is the epitome of a post that has no place in D&D. Trying to use cryptic in-group references to vaguely insinuate something sinister about somebody, but without the stones to just make a point, because the moment you say something tangible someone has the chance to disagree with you or hold you to it. Pathetic.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

I don't feel like I really have a place in D&D, CSPAM or other places on SA. My ideology is saddled and reined in where most others aren't.

Ultimately, I just want a place to post and facilitate international dictatorship of the proletariat.

I'm a Trot.

Since winter and snow are just around the corner, you must be getting ready to break out your Trot skis.

I'm sorry... for the North Hemisphere centrism

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: Nobody is saying Sherman's treatment of the Natives was not despicable. But the idea that you guys are going to go pretend gang tags are a wholly historical treatment of the people in the tag and something reflects the entirety of that person is hilarious.

Ah yes, by adopting the GIP gang tag, I have accepted and endorse all of Sherman's history. This take makes absolutely no sense.

I hate to break it to you dude, but when you endorse a person, you are endorsing the person. Like, there is a difference between "I love the Cthulu stories" and "I love H.P. Lovecraft," because Lovecraft was a racist gently caress. When you endorse Sherman, what you're saying is "I think that his role in the civil war excuses or outweighs his role in indigenous genocide."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

So as we potentially approach the end of yet another thread, can I request a summary of what the mod team has learned and planns to do, either as the Final Post or an update to the OP?