Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
I know this is gauche but I'm going to crosspost myself from the other thread because this is the only salient feedback I have about D&D and I might as well use my Posting Token on it:

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I've read and posted in D&D for years and have almost entirely stopped now due to how the forum is being handled. A lot of my frustration (if you put aside the rape denialism and sinophobia) came from my refusal to acknowledge what D&D is now, or at least what the USPOL parts are: chat threads for people who want to pass around news items and make "get a load of this GOP guy" posts. Frankly that's okay. I can't begrudge anyone for wanting to post with their posting pals. That's a big part of what makes this website fun.

The problem comes from USPOL regulars and most of the US mod staff having to try to maintain the charade of D&D being the Debate and Discussion board when, clearly, none of them actually want that. They want to have fun with their friends and post about how gross Trump is. Instead they have to pretend that everyone critical of the Biden administration is a blackpilled doomer or that everyone who doesn't believe the latest Zenz article about how honest guys the Chinese are putting Uighurs into grain threshers I swear are now genocide deniers. So now it's this insane, insular collection of paranoiacs who think everyone who disagrees with them is a bad faith CSPAM agent come to do Forums Warfare, who sit on a discord together getting mad about the awful tankies who need to be forumbanned or whatever.

Here's how to fix it: make another subforum. Call it Hamberder Helpers or whatever unfunny thing they'll love and treat it as another CSPAM, but let the USPOL crew have the run of it. Make it clear that it's not the subforum for structured debate and discussion but a place for USPOL hanging out. Let them laugh about the latest dumb trumpworld thing or get mad about Mitch McConnel and let them chain probe any CSPAM regular who pokes their head in, if they want to, for no reason other than they don't like them. They'll be mad at first but will eventually settle in to not feeling like they have to check everyone's post history for coordinated forum invasions or whatever the gently caress and they'll calm down. This will result in fewer awful posts, and especially fewer dumbass actions by their mods, and that's going to mean fewer unsourced quotes in the succ thread for them to be mad about. CSPAM posters will learn they're going to get chain probed if they want to go into one of their threads to call everyone neolib binches or whatever and the USPOL guys will be able to, finally, punish a forum enemy in a satisfying way. Apart from a few hurt feelings at the beginning and a few hand-slaps down the line everyone is happier and better off.

If you do this I bet the succ thread is probably dead (or at least free from in-house quotes and only laughing at dem politicians) within months.

Once that's done you can reorient the US and US-adjacent parts of D&D to actually be about D&D. You could make it really strict debate club stuff but honestly I don't think that works and ends up just stifling conversation and being really boring to read. Encourage a modicum of effort and take a more hands-off modding approach that doesn't need to be super well informed about every topic: give mod warnings and probe people that get weirdly aggro or outright nazi poo poo or just generally behave in otherwise obviously weird and bad ways. Otherwise let stuff resolve itself and don't worry if threads take derails. Encourage opening -- and closing -- threads regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
This thread is pretty much doomed, everyone already got steamed up in the qcs thread and you’re just going to get rehashes of what went on over there and what everyone is mad about now. These feedback threads (here and elsewhere) come too few and far between and has been/is being mishandled now anyway.

At any rate if this weekend hasn’t convinced you that uspol-centric dnd isn’t broken beyond repair I don’t know what to tell you. Make the current events/goplols subforum or cccc thread that the uspol regulars so clearly want and let their mods mod that forum or ik that thread.

I know you’re looking for the One Weird Trick to fix this mess (more threadbans! consistency! media literacy™️! fewer threadbans!) or a mod suggestion but I think in their hearts everyone understands that nothing like that will make any of this better.

Do whatever you want. Make the Auschwitz guy mod. Make all the guys who said Reade was a Russian liar IKs. Forum ban if your posts include a tweet or a link to a non AP/WaPo news source, who gives a poo poo. See you in six months for the next one of these when nothing has changed except that uspol has become more insular and paranoid and even fewer people are coming into dnd because of it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
I have no idea what goes on in the megathreads (Trump, Climate, Covid, etc) but if you're a lurker reading this who wants to talk about politics and C-SPAM seems too mean or whatever: come post in C-SPAM. It's actually a very good place to post, especially now that thanks to da toe killa the worst and dumbest threads are gone. My favorite is the Marxism thread, which flips seamlessly between friendly and funny shitposting and legitimately insightful analyses and discussions by some incredibly smart and well-read posters

also, w/r/t the thread topic: D&D would kick rear end if every time you wanted to call someone out for denying China carrying out an Uighur genocide you first had to acknowledge:
- America's ongoing genocide of its own black population
- America's ongoing genocide of its indigenous population
- The true nature of the concentration camps at America's southern border
- America's hand in abetting genocides all over the world

I don't think it would fix any problem but it'd be incredibly funny to see the very serious and concerned China hawks have to admit all this before they try to argue it's a good thing to give the pentagon 100 trillion dollars because of the yellow menace or whatever they keep going on about

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can cherry pick my response all you want, it just detracts from whatever point you're trying to make. The D-Day economics thread is a great discussion place that organically generating new topics and discussions that would be impossible in DnD because the lovely moderation has chased off just about anyone who can read a stock ticker without their brain overloading.

Most of the CSPAM mods are actually quite popular right now with the possible exception of crusty nutsack who seems to have taken a break for a while. For example, when thunderbeast stepped down people were very kind because he did a good job but now has more RL responsibilities.

yeah people will always have issues with mods but ever since Flavius was booted C-SPAM modding has been infinitely better

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Mellow Seas posted:

Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

This is why USPOL/USNews needs to be reconstituted as a chat zone (which, in your defense, you have also called for)
Because D&D is advertised as, perceived to be, and modded* like a big boy debate forum with very strict rules (if you're not on in the right posting clique)

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Cease to Hope posted:

idk. CSPAM always strikes me as boring catty white noise, even if its political consensus is generally closer to my own. I think there's a place for both forums, not because liberals and leftists can't coexist, but because it's fine to have different standards of "interesting" and "informative" if there are enough posters to sustain two communities. CSPAM's fine, it's just not to my taste.

Also, WRT to your second point, I'm not really sure how to reconcile my feeling that genocide deniers should get thrown out on their rear end and my own belief that American immigration policy is morally equivalent. I've said my thoughts here:

people like thatfatkid, who have consistently insisted that it's not happening and if it is it's not a problem, are obviously beyond the pale regardless of the specific locale. and you usually get banned in D&D or elsewhere if you try that apologia about american immigration, too. (you can get away with it in TFR though, lol.) but there's a range of apologia, and obvious different standards for each of those examples that seem to me to be different heads of the same hydra.

I completely agree that CSPAM and D&D can coexist. One is for dumb political shitposts and one is for serious discussion and effortposts. I mean, there was an excellent Marxism thread in D&D a while back (ask me about marxism? something like that? can't remember the title offhand). If a reformed D&D means I've got a place for marxist shitposts and a separate place for marxist effortposts, I won't complain.

My problem with the constant screeching of GENOCIDE DENIAL! is that it's a transparent attempt at doing the thing USPOL regulars perceive CSPAM regulars do with regards to Biden and rape. Far-right nutjob Adrian Zenz was essentially taken as gospel here because it was consistent with the same "China bad!" narrative that was and is politically useful for the American Democratic Party. Posting someone like Zenz would get you (probably rightly) punished here for regurgitating far-right propaganda, if he was "reporting" on a different topic. Even now, after the AP/DoD have said it doesn't constitute a genocide, the subforum's dumbest posters are still swinging it around to Own their Posting Enemies.

I want to make very clear that I don't think "nothing is happening" or that China is in the right on this, or even that China isn't committing genocide (under that broader-scope definition), and that even if I just take only the thoroughly verified and agreed-upon reports I fully believe extremely hosed up poo poo is still going on.

At least, I think that distinction is worthy of debate and discussion. In this very thread, however, we have people calling for forum- or permabans for anyone not completely agreeing that what China is doing is unambiguously "genocide", with no distinction. I say that's fine, as long as we're consistent about it. If we're saying that China is committing a genocide to the Uyghurs and that the US is committing a genocide in regards to its own black citizens, I am happy to recognize that standard. However, I think people here would get really mad at me for accusing them of genocide apologia for voting for one of the principal architects of the contemporary infrastructure of the American genocide on black Americans, Joe Biden.

In a practical matter, though, I have no loving clue why I, a dumbass American, should feel the need to become a China hawk because of it. There is no -- absolutely zero -- "corrective action" America could possibly take that wouldn't make it profoundly worse. Moreover the thing I think being loudly and publicly "critical of China" is actually doing is contributing to the sinophobia that has been ramping up to insane levels since the start of Covid. Something I think a lot about whenever I hear about increasing anti-Asian violence and hate crimes here in America.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

socialsecurity posted:

I think the solution to fixing D&D is to close the Succ thread so there stops being a thread that encourages cspammers to come argue with usnews for the purpose of trolling and farming quotes for their weird circlejerk thread.

I know you're doing a bit here but you would absolutely lose your loving mind if people were encouraged to come into your playpen and tell you your opinions are poo poo to your face.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Cease to Hope posted:

That discussion cannot happen until you drive out the people who will constantly derail it with the argument that nothing is happening and it's all fake. Moreover, I don't think that kind of blatant hate should be welcome on SA at all in any forum.

This is a sort of blinkered Americentrism that isn't helpful, though. There are reasons to criticize China other than to establish a casus belli for war with China.

Likewise, criticizing governments needs to be allowed in the government criticism forum! There are some pretty obvious double standards I don't think you've considered; no American leftist would ever stint from criticizing, say, Saudi Arabia for fear of how it will encourage hate for American Muslims or Arabs. Nobody in D&D (AFAIK) is spreading the sort of hateful conspiracies that American racists do traffic in (or they should be harshly punished if so!); American racists do not generally get righteously angry about foreign Muslims being mistreated.

Sorry, I shouldn't have written "critical of China", I meant that to be sarcastic -- I mean to call out the demand that everyone China is definitely and absolutely doing a genocide and the call to literally silence anyone who doesn't agree completely, which isn't being critical of China but instead feeding into the insane xenophobia that would be correctly recognized as far-right racism if it wasn't politically useful to the democratic party.

Anyway the discussion also can't happen until you drive out the people who will constantly derail it with the argument that any sort of comment that isn't complete and utter acceptance of the idea that China is literally mass murdering it's Uighur population, and that to say anything otherwise is not just argued against, but should result in a permaban.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Cease to Hope posted:

Can you point to an example of this? Because I think you're creating an extreme caricature to draw a false equivalence. thatfatkid is an actual poster, and not the only one who posts the way he does.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Probe and ban people that can't imagine that china commits genocide and has been, big loving red line do not cross, not hard and the fact that we have people trying to argue it isn't is horseshit because they don't want to say their favorite country is in fact awful and racist as hell. Probe and ban actual rape apologists, big red line who gives a gently caress. Sebmojo already brought up the mistake 6er and addressed what happened (just go back and probe it and ban them for being a fuckhead)

thatfatkid is dedicated to justify that china is not infact doing it but doesnt provide anything but feelings and denial, we ran off R. Guyovich for the same poo poo. Side note Bathtubcheese being pro bomb a loving country because they are traitors to china is just as loving ghoulish.

(UCS Hellmaker is especially uh... keyed in on this one: [edit: search links apparently expire, but just search " username:"UCS Hellmaker" genocide " ])

How are u posted:

Genocide denial should continue to be a bannable offense. That it only has been in D&D and not forum-wide is pretty appalling.

and I mean, honestly:

Cease to Hope posted:

my feedback is to keep banning blatant genocide deniers on sight

I know you were replying to fatkid and if they deny anything bad whatsoever is going on that's one thing, but I don't think looking at even specifically what the DoD is saying about China and saying "this, to me, does not constitute a genocide" is ban-worthy -- at least if not saying the same thing about any of the genocides America is participating in or has participated in does not also constitute a ban.

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 26, 2021

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
literally "no one deserves to be heard unless they are more polite to me and my posting pals"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

Cease to Hope posted:

Holy poo poo this is the worst idea I've seen in my entire life. Thankfully it's also completely impractical! But do not make a shitlist of enemies of D&D.

You say this is the worst idea you've ever seen in your entire life, but did you not see the very next sentence where he suggests a Something Awful Moderation JIRA?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
I just want to take a moment to point out that the consensus reached just now by the D&D mods w/r/t the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs was the exact same consensus reached by the now-locked C-SPAM thread of the same topic that caused such a furor in D&D that the usual suspects piled into the "isn't this thread just a honeypot?!?!" QCS thead made about it, and is what's pointed to when every dumbass screams GENOCIDE DENIAL FORUM whenever they can

the exact same

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
the o n l y people who think D&D is currently okay or would be okay but we need more forumbans and harsher punishments to drive out the bad-faith tankies who just want to be toxic and aggro for no reason are the small group of USPOL posters who want -- by their own admission -- a place to have fun with their posting pals laughing about the GOP and showing each other current news items but also want to be recognized as smart and good debate boys who argue like proper adults.

They want a place to do "debate and discussion" BUT no one can derail the threads with something uncomfortable that they don't want to talk about, nor can they be "aggro", nor can they post the "wrong" news sources, nor can they post in "bad faith" (whatever the gently caress that means), nor can they challenge their opinions in the wrong ways, etc. etc. etc.

No one wants this environment except for those people and the small number of mods who agree with them, who have been shown incontrovertibly over the last few days to moderate, at least in some significant part, on ideological grounds and in favor of their posting buddies, and who are also involved in an offsite discord.

Again, no one wants this except for the exact same people everyone else is saying are the problem, that have turned long-time D&D posters off from posting here again as well as (also important!) lurkers and non-D&D posters from wanting to engage with D&D at all.

If people in Games or Pet Island or AI or literally anywhere else on this website were telling the mod/admin staff "I've been a lurker but have no desire to interact with this forum because of the moderation" they'd think "holy poo poo we have to fix this" but instead because of the insular nature of the clique here and their aligned mods, we're getting "no only certain people's feedback is valuable, everyone else doesn't count" and the only changes that will come out of this will be some bullshit tweak like "3 unambiguous warnings before your threadban!" or "6ers are going to be less frequent 12ers!" or "we've promoted this one poster to mod!" that will not address the underlying issue and D&D will continue to be a problem forum that bleeds users and we can do this all again in a few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation

enki42 posted:

This is extremely specific to USPol. I think some of the threads I post in are fine and good, but they are also threads where I never observe this sort of mod overreach and hardly anyone ever even gets probed outside of a few cases where everyone would agree it's justified. Like I literally can't remember the last probe that happened in CanPol.

yeah that's true, I am unfairly using D&D here as a stand-in for USPOL and USPOL-adjacent threads. The vast majority of non-USPOL D&D is fine and capable of moderating themselves.