Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The Libya that was already selling all its oil and natural gas to British Petroleum? Like whatever grand geopolitical strategy you're going to ascribe to everyone, Libya's about as economically exploited as it gets and Gaddafi was getting the money. Statistically Libya's no different from a random Middle Eastern petrostate, just moved to the west. That is unsurprising seeing where the oil and the money was going. But you feel things so who cares what that means for the people facing the actual consequences? Like I said before why are your feelings so much more important than what happened to them?

It's conducive to a conversation about how people who deny the reality of their abstract fantasies are contemptible scum.

You know, this, and the last three posts in this thread of yours as well, are all equally just astonishingly bad. Like abjectly offensively bad.

I could opine about the hypothetical intersection of users who justify creating open air slave markets like this here with those who attempt to excuse rape apologia by equating it to asking for evidence of genocide, as though these are exactly the same things with equal standing in any circumstance, but at that point I might as well start posting in D&D myself.

Let me be extremely clear, the positions you espouse here as some kind of 'defense' in some form are another are not only transparent, but repugnant, and they are not the kind of defense you mean them to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, I mean tankie gets thrown around lightly here and there, but it's usually in D&D I've seen it applied something used specifically and explicitly for those who go to the loving mat for any authoritarian or imperialistic actor that isn't US-aligned and has ever painted itself with the thinnest veneer of leftism. And more to the point the label is almost always a smaller part of the conversation than the behavior itself.

No, the point being made was that the term was used as a thought-terminating clause/epithet, in the same manner and effect that D&D is upset at getting called "liberals".

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Taintrunner was very much a lib and I expect most D&D posters who self-identify as communists aren't much different

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Liberal tankie here.

send the tanks into the dprk daddy koos

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

If I wasn't clear, my point is that there are people who are using the term liberal to end discussion and not engage with what is being discussed, much like tankie is around here as well.

Yes, I understood what you were saying, which is why I directed it at someone who clearly did not. Because I agree with you.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

fool of sound posted:

I am a communist, albeit of the depressed variety who thinks that the conditions for creating a communist state don't currently exist in the developed world and the best we can hope for it to make do for the foreseeable future.

OP this is what we call a liberal. "a better world is not possible."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If former C-SPAM superstar taintrunner is now a lib, that's about as much proof as you need that the labels are meaningless.

It's proof that you have no idea what the labels mean.

If you have some aversion to studying leftist thought, then fine. Just take the label? It's not hard to either put some critical thought into it or just self identify as one. The fact that you seem to believe implicitly that it's a negative label does, actually, say a lot.

fool of sound posted:

OK commissar

Thanks, but if I posted this in any discussion thread I'd be probated for it, and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

D&D figuring out where a rapist landlord is on the political spectrum would be something

Lets examine the character witnesses:

a tenant
a tenant
a tenant
a random encounter from a bar on travel

from this, we cannot believe that there was anything but a misunderstanding involved. if you claim we're participating in rape apologia, you're actually only engaging in toxic discourse. I have never heard of power dynamics.