Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

fool of sound posted:

They tried the no-mod-month in GBS years ago and it resulted in 5 years of GBS being completely overrun with awful superstar cliques, misanthropic assholes, and racists, until the admins progressively perma'd all of them and ran them off to offsites like Skullmund (which later collapsed into a pile of bigots).

Give the plebs their bread & rosescircuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

My compliments on your delightful if apocryphal avatar, goonsir.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

But it wasn’t a suggestion, it was a statement from Jeffrey that conservative viewpoints as a whole aren’t welcome here.

Well there's been a few, usually one per politics thread, in AUSPOL, CANPOL, etc. But they've been gone for years. There's no rightwingers left I can think of. Pretty much everyone is left of center to some degree.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

In my mind that was more of a description of how things are and have been than firm a new policy - you don't see a lot of conservative opinions around here and I don't think an influx of them would make many people happier. It would make a lot of people very unhappy, and would have serious negative externalities that affect the rest of the site. I agree with you that acknowledging the situation is better than pretending otherwise. Sorry to disappoint.

I think there's no need for a rule, it's not like we're being invaded by QAnon. You could simply point out that the forums have a definite tilt to the left and that conservatives may find it unwelcoming?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I mean I could name someone who I feel has passed the point of arzying (or was that term deemed no longer acceptable to use???) but I want to avoid posting about posters.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

I don't think there's much use in trying to compare posters being threadbanned for violations of one rule and others not being banned for violating a different rule?

If other people want to come up with some scale so we can scientifically determine that one rape-apology is half a genocide-denial or two posting-about-posters or five calling-the-mods-pedos, feel free.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

So is calling people chuds no longer allowed

Are there chuds posting here?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Aegis posted:

I would think even the latter is OK as an arguing position; the problem is when every possible response other than full agreement becomes punishable. At that point the latter position just becomes a discussion ender.

I can picture a utilitarian justification for voting Biden in a swing state, but in a Democratic-dominated state, no. Leave it blank, vote any left party, just not for a rapist.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Aegis posted:

That's fine as a position, but do you think anyone taking the opposite position in a discussion on this forum (or copping to voting for Biden in a non-swing state, for whatever reason) ought to be at least harshly probated? I think that is the situation the mods are trying to put a guardrail around.

I think it can be done in theory, if you said it like "I disagree that is justifiable on any moral basis, frankly" but the odds of that being the way the sentiment would be expressed are pretty, uh, low.

As to copping a Biden vote in CA... I accept that some posters literally owe their lives to Democratic policies like Obamacare, so maybe they have rational justification for voting for Biden, but I couldn't.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

You keep trying to make this about individual labels when the liberal/leftist divide is the heart of the problem with D&D.

Restating, an ongoing source of friction in D&D is that some left-wing posters with a gatekeeping fetish keep labeling other left-wing posters as "liberals" in an attempt to invalidate their arguments. These other soi disant "liberal" left-wing posters are frequently befuddled by this position and deny it, shocking the fetishists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Leftists annoying other leftists by labeling them as liberals is a phenomenon as old as leftism.

You liberals always say this to divide leftists!