Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

multijoe posted:

going to expend my (1) posting in this thread token to say: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

And how do we fix it? We've already taken away that: Yes, we need to be more hands off. We're agreed there.

You're apparently not agreed at all, given how fool of sound just threw a huge tantrum and stacked more arbitrary rules onto the thread and then threadbanned someone for entirely made-up reasons

My first piece of advice would be: don't do that anymore

e: the best piece of advice, if you actually care about d&d, is to stop being mods. That won't be happening because imaginary internet power is the sweetest fruit of all though so I'm keeping things reasonable

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 27, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core ideological differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Not helping is the consistent labeling of these core differences as petty disagreements, like the weird "strange that you dislike someone who agrees with you on most things" arguments

I don't actually know how to sort though that tangle though, it's a fuckin mess

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Maybe the leftists you keep calling liberals don't like being mislabeled? Maybe you aren't the sole arbiter of what makes a person a leftist and people get annoyed when you rush to give them a label so you can hate on them?

Could you clarify where you got these assumptions from? I was not specifying anyone in particular and did not mean to offend you.

Killer robot posted:

Liberals calling themselves leftists for various reasons is a thing that happens. Leftists calling leftists liberals for disagreements right down to because they have priorities #4 and #5 backwards on their top ten list is a thing that happens. So is leftists calling leftists "liberals" because they're embarrassing to be associated with for reasons not actually dependent on their ideology. None of them are particularly rare things, even, and were well-tread ground years before this forum birthed its first political slapfight. That's part of why arguing the label is always gonna be dumb.

It might be a difference of priority #4 and #5 to one person, but a huge deal to another. My main problem with the "we agree on most things" argument is that the oft-unspoken disagreement can be very substantial.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that the "D&D clique" is failing to do this calls into question their leftist credentials.

But seriously, instead of dancing around this subject for months(/years?), how about people just lay out their political views in a concise manner so people can interrogate those? Being evasive about your actual views just results in a bunch of innocent strawmen getting massacred.

fool of sound posted:

Believe me I hate the "we agree on most things" argument too, but the solution in that case is to interrogate those differences instead of just declaring an insurmountable gulf exists. State your beliefs clearly, argue with other peoples' stated beliefs. Don't let labels do the talking.

One problem arises where people are being honest about their beliefs but are accused of having some kind of Secret Agenda, for an example see the mess that led to the creation of the #metoo thread where people(and by people I mean "current moderator GreyjoyBastard") constantly insisted that posters were just pretending to be mad about the Reade situation to own their posting enemies, whatever that means

e: See also any talk of "Virtue Signaling" or "Purity Tests" which I have only ever seen used to excuse heinous poo poo

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I mean, the difference between "Dems should govern lawfully" and "Dems should ignore laws they don't like because that's the best way to wield political power" is quite irreconcilable, for example. And every time it comes up it results in flame wars and poo poo gets nasty.

It's more of a disagreement about fighting fire with fire(or rather if playing by the rules is a good idea when your opponent just ignores them entirely) but yeah there's no reconciling that one.