Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Presenting my thoughts as an unordered list:

A)
Despite even the recent efforts of the mod team, misinformation and disinformation in the threads is still a problem. Less of a problem, but it's still popping up here and there. The bullshit asymmetry principle tells us that it takes a lot more work to correct the record than it takes to spout misinformation, and the backfire effect tells us that those same attempts to correct the record can have the perverse effect of making the misinformation more widely believed. The most reliable solution to this problem is to prevent misinformation from being posted in the first place. So, (hey I just met you, and this is craaazy, but) if a poster can't stop posting falsehoods and bullshit and keeps getting called out for it, threadban them maybe?

B)
I think if we learned one thing from the whole Fancy Pelosi business, it's that the assumption of good faith is too easy to abuse and that demonstrating bad faith to the extent that it's actionable is currently too hard to achieve. Fancy Pelosi is an obvious example of a poster everyone knew was a troll but no one could prove it, but this has been a long-standing issue. It took months to ramp posters with rapsheets longer than any D&D post for trolling and being incredibly aggro about it. In a certain, active thread (the mods who read it know of which thread and of which posts I speak), we had one poster edge alarmingly close to holocaust denial and another poster say they could lie and get away with it when asked a question, and when pressed to answer the question, lied in a way that was obvious to anyone paying attention. These posters were not posting while lib, quite the opposite in fact. Neither has been probed. Right now, unless it's undeniable, e.g. admitting you're a troll, no action is taken. This, I think, needs to change.

C)
I see a problem with threadbans and forumbans, although until there's support from admins and Jeffrey to implement much longer probes or permas, thread/forumbans are all we got. The problem I see with thread/forumbans is that different forums often have threads on the same topic. D&D and GBS both have COVID and China threads and, although there are different emphases on what information is discussed, the posting culture of the threads in each forum isn't that different. I say this because right now if a poster gets threadbanned or forumbanned from one, they can just move their lovely posts to the other. Now, ideally, they would eventually be threadbanned again, but 1) we know that their posting on that topic sucks already, 2) this creates a perverse incentive where posters can just go to the least strict parent (so to speak) and plead to continue posting badly, which ultimately means their posting on the whole doesn't improve at all. I realize this only applies to a limited number of threads that share topics with GBS or SAL or whatnot, but it's nonetheless a weakness of the threadban system that should be addressed. One solution (the simplest one and the easiest to implement and the one most consistent with the history of SA moderation) is to just bring back long probes and permas for bad posting. If that's not an option, open a channel with the GBS mods to share information about who got threadbanned from threads with shared topics, and why, so IKs and mods know to be on the lookout. D&D and CSPAM mods already share a discord, so I assume they do this already.

D)
There was a lot of discussion about tweets early in the thread. My long-standing position has been that hot takes by twitter nobodies should be banned (if you agree with the hot take, just say it yourself) and summaries of all other tweets should be required, but I see the utility in a blanket ban. A blanket ban is more consistent, easier to enforce, and avoids any possible perception of bias. If the mods go in that direction I won't complain.

E)

Professor Beetus posted:

So no, I'm not going to ban or kick out any layperson who doesn't show up with their advanced medical degree in hand, and frankly if you have a cherished off site without the stink of the teeming masses, maybe that's a better place for you to post anyway.
As someone who recently got their PhD, who just spent years of their life working 60+ hours a week for well less than a living wage, I gotta ask: "Stink of the teeming masses?" Do you really see field experts with that level of disdain? Just because I spent years of my life working on one project and developing a set of skills necessary to do that work doesn't make me better than anyone, and it's really insulting to imply I and others believe the opposite. If that's really how you see people who've been in academia or medicine I'll refrain from posting in or reading threads you IK.

No one is asking for credentialing. That opens the door to doxxing and I'd rather just not. There has been a long-running issue in D&D with field experts getting run off SA because they don't tow the party line or due to general disdain for people knowledgeable in that subject (see the spat about economists a few feedback threads ago), among other things. I just really hope you're not insinuating what it sounds like you are, because if you are insinuating that, then you're part of the problem.

F)
This is my most important point.
The vast majority of people who post in the USNews and related threads regularly don't post to wage forums wars or treat the threads like some ideological battleground. They post to discuss and share information about politics and policy and law. I understand threads outside the USNews sphere have the same posting culture. The "Debate" in Debate and Discussion, in other words, implies a much more adversarial atmosphere than exists here most of the time, and certainly a much more hostile atmosphere than posters actually want. I don't know if moving the forum under the GBS umbrella (as was suggested) is really necessary. However, rebranding back to Current Events, or (if getting new art for the website and app is not currently feasible) replacing Debate with another word, like Discourse or Dialogue or Digression (or whatever) seems like a good way to present ourselves. Hopefully a title that reflects the culture of the place will signal to people how to post before they go full aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

fool of sound posted:

There's a reason I've made "getting people to make and post in more threads" a goal for the last year or so. There's also a reason prior crops of D&D mods have tried to kill off USpol in various ways. Having a single all encompassing thunderdome thread for the US produces worse discussion than focused threads and is bad for educational utility and accessibility of the forum in general. However, there are a lot of D&D lurkers who read USpol/news as a sort of curated news feed plus editorial section, and who are extremely adamant about keeping it around. The transition to USnews, alongside the new thread-thread and the loosening of traditional D&D OP expectations was supposed to give both us and users more space for focused threads, without the usual cry of "oh and is six pages of arguing about vaping not US Politics??" but we lost a bunch of IKs and mods shortly after the transition and it never really took.
You're fighting an uphill battle against the User Control Panel here, and I don't know if that's a fight you can win.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Jesus man why not a thank you before you just poo poo all over it.
TBF, as someone who suffers from some data science poisoning, I read what GJB posted as a thank you.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

wait does this mean we need to give the modship to an obsessive murderous freak who immediately falls into a volcano
One does not simply "walk" into modship. It's black gates are guarded by more than just admins. There is an evil there that does not sleep. The great eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire, ash, and radium code. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand posters could you do this. It is folly.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

fool of sound posted:

I would however encourage people to write useful report reasons instead of little sarcastic messages.
So this might be a bit more meta than merely D&D, but, controlling for how good or bad the post being reported is, what makes a good report vs a bad report? What information in the report is useful to you?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I find that the report explanation field isn't nearly long enough to give good explanations, most of the time. And PMing a mod to expand on a report reason feels weird unless it's something really serious.
I've run into this too. It's like I'm trying to tweet all the reasons a post sucks and I can't tweet storm.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It's pretty ironic how you're accusing me of being dismissive, while proceeding to condescendingly insult the other thread way more than I did the polls thread (which I didn't even insult at all, aside from commenting on who comprised its posters!). Do you really not see the irony here? And it's not like "posting a recent poll" is more substantive or usefully informative. It's just the exact same "reacting to stuff in the news" posting (which also occurred in the other General Election thread). Hell, you're the one who likes to complain about people just reacting to tweets, but that's functionally the exact same thing. It's not like some random poll from a presidential election is high-brow serious journalism that can drive any sort of fruitful discussion. It was just window dressing for chatting about the latest election events and drama (which is basically what both threads were doing, only with one having more arguments).

Also, I'm not even being "dismissive" of it in the first place - I'm literally advocating for the existence of such a thread and its success (at least from my perspective) in allowing the other general election thread to exist. Almost everyone got what they wanted; people who wanted to just comment on the latest polls and spitball about the election outcome could do that without being bothered (or being bothered as much at least, and with moderator action being less controversial against people who did try to start arguments in the polls thread).
As someone who became a regular in both the first and second polling thread, you have the wrong of it. It really was about polling and election models and high-level strategy, and not whether Biden was good or bad / who to vote for. The question of "who is winning, by how much, and by how much will they win?" and "how accurate do we think these statistical models are?" are self-evidently different from "is Biden good/bad?" and "should I vote for Kanye?". The poll thread was made to discuss the former after GE became about the later, to the point that posters didn't want discussion of polls there at all. And given that the polls thread brought me out from lurking to posting (I like talking about polls and statistical modeling, this is cool stuff to me!), I don't think it would be fair to have classified me as a "D&D regular" at that point.

Epinephrine fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 29, 2021

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Given that some posters have enough disposable income to spend more on avs than I've ever earned in a two week period, and enough disposable income to give away 10x that amount to other causes at the same time, I'd rather not see avs weaponized. Seems like a fast path to giving rich users an easy way to push out poor ones.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still very much concerned that going back to the old days where each new thing would get its own thread is no longer viable in the long term.

Here's what I do when I want to check the forums:
1) I log in.
2) I click User Control Panel to see whether any of the threads I care about have new posts.
3) If I do, I choose a thread and read the new posts.
4) Eventually I get bored and do something else.

Maybe, if I still want to read and discuss things before I move on to something else, I check the forum page, but this usually doesn't happen. And I'm sure I am not unique in this. This situation naturally favors megathreads over smaller threads on topics because megathreads are the first thing read and because any new thread, not being on the User Control Panel, and given that people don't always see the forum and skip straight to the thread, will not be seen by anyone who follows the workflow above.

I suggested earlier in the year having a thread that links to new threads, but that really hasn't been used, possibly because people don't know the thread exists because its not in their User Control Panel.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Without getting into that poster's bizarrely ahistorical takes on the innocence of the CIA, I think trying to equate (accusations of) rape apologia in this subforum with (accusations of) genocide denial is unnecessary because the more relevant comparison is Chinese genocide denial vs US genocide denial, specifically the concentration camps on our southern border that are unambiguous, documented fact

If the standards of the former denial were applied to latter denial, you'd have to forumban several of the mods here themselves. If folks here want to go even harder on it, I don't really care, but those who carry water for the US government doing even worse poo poo to ethnic minorities as we speak should face the same punishment
Just to go full D&D for a moment, this is an excellent demonstration of the Tu Quoque logical fallacy. It gets used a lot around here these days.

Specifically, China can be committing genocide and the US can be, too - and they both can be bad at the same time. Neither excuses the other. Whether or not China is committing genocide is completely orthogonal to whether or not the US is.

We can talk about whether or not what China is doing qualifies as a genocide or not independent of anything else. Then we can talk about whether or not what the US is doing qualifies. We may decide that both, either, or neither qualifies. But neither one justifies or mitigates the other.
It also presupposes in a certain way that rape is not a component of the Uyghur genocide, because if the accusations made against the concentration camp personnel are to be believed, they are necessarily linked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
I can't think of a better way to end this thread.