Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
To me the most unbelievable claim in the whole thread is that the problems go away if the word "Debate" does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Lib and let die posted:

fart made us a chart of mod actions by thread (for year 2021 only). if we treat usnews as a successor to uspol and group them, they account for easily the largest share of mod actions across any thread.

Datasets and Diagrams, apparently.

I think it really got glossed over how the data also seemed to show that neither thread had an outlandish level of mod actions relative to its post count, they were just a lot busier than the threads that generated disproportionate mod actions. That and probes in USpol/USnews tended to be shorter than anything other than Cursed Images where it's almost totally sixers for lacking an image.

I mean, there's room for arguing that the modding is unfair or done for the wrong reasons in USpol, but the idea that it's some unique locus of iron fisted modding in general seems pretty well cored at this point.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

How are u posted:

I'm genuine in saying that I think removing "Debate" from the forum title would be a fine and good thing. Take away the fig-leaf of "debate me! I want to engage you in a debaaate! :byodood:" that some posters use to justify their insistence that they are doing something more than just wanting to scream at people who see the world differently.

I mean, it's a kind of "And I want you to eat a bug!" demand for submission that I don't think will change a blessed thing, but is it really worse than having a bug waved in your face forever? :shrug: We're on a forum that renames subforums for holiday jokes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And thank you for making me aware of it.

Likewise. I had no idea either of those terms were more than generic insults.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

ok cleaned it up here you go epic high five im done

"Badposted" really stuck out there.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

enki42 posted:

I definitely see accusations of doomerism weaponized in this way, but I think a lot of the source for it is that certain types of doomposting often shuts down or at least monopolizes discussion. For me, doomposting isn't just "I'm depressed about this", it's taking a piece of negative information and extrapolating it to the worst possible outcome, while refusing to acknowledge any information that is more positive. There's just no room to have a productive discussion with that outlook, where everything is bad all the time and if you think otherwise you're a fool, and any information you can provide is either compromised or similarly deluded.

That's for sure not everyone accused of doomposting, but it does happen.

Also if you're someone with a reasoned pessimistic outlook you can respond to accusations of doomerism with actual reasons why you're expressing an opinion based on evidence. The fact of doing so will differentiate you from "lmao we're all dead in 20 years" shitposters and more involved "This two percent poll shift over a week means Trump's gonna be crowned emperor in 2024 for sure!" apocalyptic prophets. You are not being branded by some foul life-ending slur because someone incorrectly slung a mild insult at you.

Killer robot fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 28, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I can echo endorsement for the use of fewer threadbans and more long probes or real bans for people who just can't avoid repeating bad behavior in a given thread. I understand the idea of keeping otherwise productive posters out of narrow spaces they can't control themselves in, but as said it gives two unwanted side effects of not having a clear path to return while also giving them all the time they want to stew about it in the rest of the forum to hurt their own moods and those of others. Also I was a bit surprised that the thread seems to be lighter on long probes as is than many others, so it's not like moving that direction would be draconian by SA standards.

As for what triggers such treatment it should be clearly explained and consistent. But still it needs to have some open subjectivity and flexibility, since any hard and fast boundary of "not touching you" in a contentious space will be weaponized. That's directly at odds with objectivity and consistency, but that's a universal dilemma of disciplinary systems.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

How do you know this?

Seems to me because those are the people who actually move to an existing/new thread on the subject when it's pointed out, and while they clearly do exist they're not usually enough to sustain high activity there for long. Though there might be a third category of people who want to have in-depth discussion but only conditional that the whole gang is there, not just the people interested in the details of the subject.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Probably Magic posted:

...why... couldn't you?

Like, the CIA's involvement in global drug trade and the like has been documented for decades.

If you missed the referenced conversation, no one was disputing that. Someone was saying don't call them an intelligence agency, they don't have intelligence functions, it's 1000% crime all the time.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Bishyaler posted:

I thought my point of "D&D will never be a calm debate space due to the innate hostility between leftists and liberals" was going to be harder to prove, but then we had liberals falling over themselves to defend the legitimacy of an organization which kills leftists. We even had one poster concoct a scenario to get mad about where he imagined that I would say "gently caress joe biden for not dismantling it yesterday".

The prosecution rests.

Remember, the conversation wasn't only about whether the CIA performs intelligence activities in addition to its crimes (which no one disputed.) It also involved claims that crimes by non-CIA intelligence agencies don't count because reasons.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Liberals calling themselves leftists for various reasons is a thing that happens. Leftists calling leftists liberals for disagreements right down to because they have priorities #4 and #5 backwards on their top ten list is a thing that happens. So is leftists calling leftists "liberals" because they're embarrassing to be associated with for reasons not actually dependent on their ideology. None of them are particularly rare things, even, and were well-tread ground years before this forum birthed its first political slapfight. That's part of why arguing the label is always gonna be dumb.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

Could you clarify where you got these assumptions from? I was not specifying anyone in particular and did not mean to offend you.

It might be a difference of priority #4 and #5 to one person, but a huge deal to another. My main problem with the "we agree on most things" argument is that the oft-unspoken disagreement can be very substantial.

The difference between the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879 and the Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912 might indeed be substantial to them, but if they consider the other, the Catholic, the Mormon, and the Gnostic all to be equally "heretic" bystanders aren't obligated to treat them all as gravely serious as the speaker.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

It's more of a disagreement about fighting fire with fire(or rather if playing by the rules is a good idea when your opponent just ignores them entirely) but yeah there's no reconciling that one.

It doesn't help that "We shouldn't do X because it will undercut our moral high ground and hurt us in the long term despite short-term benefits" and "We shouldn't do X because it will materially fail and we won't even see short term benefits" are frequently treated as synonymous arguments.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Yeah, I mean tankie gets thrown around lightly here and there, but it's usually in D&D I've seen it applied something used specifically and explicitly for those who go to the loving mat for any authoritarian or imperialistic actor that isn't US-aligned and has ever painted itself with the thinnest veneer of leftism. And more to the point the label is almost always a smaller part of the conversation than the behavior itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

HiroProtagonist posted:

No, the point being made was that the term was used as a thought-terminating clause/epithet, in the same manner and effect that D&D is upset at getting called "liberals".

Oh yeah, hell no then,.