Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Which was part of why the Blow thread was started, the hope was people could work out their anxiety and some of their shitposting in there and it did work, briefly. Then it turned into everyone turning on one another and we had to close it.

hi i don't have much to say about d&d that i haven't already said in the QCS thread but i want to dispute this

the blow zone was good, it worked, you felt you had to close it because you were uncomfortable with people being angry at each other and also you were uncomfortable with the fact that at least one poster on the d&d "side" took their mask off and went full "tara reade is a liar", something which had to be pointed out to you and which you punished with a 6er, the probation type that isn't really a punishment. people were uncomfortable with your non-punishment and posted angrily at you. all of these things came together to make you feel that the blow zone was sufficiently uncivilized so as to require never opening it up again.

none of that is a law of nature. you didn't "have to" close it, but you did, because you didn't want to let the de facto "succ zone embassy" actually operate by succ zone rules in order to let folks work out their grievances. if the blow zone was a permanent weekly institution i think you would see the same pattern every week: level-headed discussions and people reaching out across the battle lines, mixed in with people arguing and laying out their grievances. that's what any "outlet" thread designed for people to work their anxiety and shitposting out in is going to look like. it's what the last incarnation of the blow zone looked like - don't minimize the reasonable discussions that were taking place over the whole weekend just because they were interspersed with the more heated stuff.

anyway basically the blow zone worked, if you were to continue it it would continue to work and would both let people slapfight in an isolated manner, and occasionally reveal the "bad apples" in d&d when they get baited into writing screeds about tara reade or whatever issue of the day is contentious. you may not be the mod that should shepherd the blow zone in the future, however, because you do not like angry discussions nor do you recognize/appropriately respond to the severity of situations where posters take their mask off and say nasty poo poo

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

"You are all a bunch of rape apologists" just ain't the quality posting you think it is I was hoping for, I wanted more chill chat than anything.. But maybe given the desire for us to be hands off, we can bring it back. Maybe that doesn't matter anymore.

Who knows what the weekend will bring.

hey i was part of chill chat crew in that thread too. but like, some folks in d&d want to punch lib and let die until his teeth fall out, and he wants to do the same to them, so let em say "gently caress you" to each other and just give a big fat probation whenever someone does a calm hitler routine or gets weird/creepy. don't interject yourself the way you did in the last blow zone and nobody will be rude to you, just watch the posts and hit people when they're over the line. the fact is that that discussion could happen in cspam if the d&d regulars that want to fight would post in a thread there, but they won't, so you have a monopoly on providing the venue for the most tedious weekend entertainment of all time which will also miraculously clear up your big megathreads! what an opportunity

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 27, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I like how everyone forgets about the game show certain posters made about harassing survivors to ritualistic denounce voting for Joe Biden or prove themselves rape apologists in the blow thread. Something they themselves admit they shouldn't have done and apologized for.

I shouldn't have posted what I did. It was unnecessarily inflammatory, and it hurt people that I had no cause to hurt. But it's really hard to take the outrage like this seriously when it's being described as 'nasty poo poo' and a screed, yet the entirety of my post could fit in a redtext. I didn't help the blow thread, but I sure as hell wasn't the one who turn it into a smoking crater.

wasn't aware screeds had a minimum word count, i learned something

anyway i wasn't intending to provide an encyclopedic accounting of all of the ways the blow zone devolved into an argument toward the end. both sides of the argument were probably a bit too lovely, your post won the crown for sucking the most but you weren't alone. while this day-long posting war was going on, nobody was slapfighting in other threads in d&d, providing a better experience for everyone. and some fun jokes were posted along the way (mostly before the fight started)

the point is that it was created at least partially as a containment thread, and then shut down because it contained exactly the substance it was made to hold. it was also created as a chill chat thread, and there was chill chat for probably half the thread's lifespan, too. as a thread concept it was successful in doing it was created to do, even if the resulting product was sometimes ugly. there's nowhere to go but up and i have confidence in the diplomatic process and that things can improve as the blow zone develops into its own "thing"

Cloaked posted:

Right now it’d just be another thread where D&D meta is discussed, which right now will inevitably lead to bad moderator actions, which will appropriately upset people, so maybe not a great idea. Did that thread even start with a topic other than “let’s mock cspam”? It didn’t seem like good framing for chill chat.

no lol. it was "hey let's have a thread where succ zone posters/cspammers in general come to hang out in d&d and post with d&d regulars" and i don't think anyone came away from it with hard feelings about the thread itself. i certainly didn't. it revealed some common ground and some boisterous disagreements.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 27, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

500 good dogs posted:

lol what, wow, why do people report posts in QCS?

imagining someone furiously reporting people in qcs, thinking that smythe literally ever reads his report queue

just lmao at the very idea

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I don't think a current events forum is a bad idea per se, but a ton of the politics forums issues come directly out of there being multiple politics forums, which creates a ton of artificial friction and conflict and adding a 3rd one is just going to make that entire situation way worse. idk why there are even two, given that plenty of shitposting happens in dnd and plenty of effortposting happens in cspam and the actual ideological views of each are drat near a circle venn-diagram

there are two politics forums because in 2015, half of d&d discovered that they could post in the election RSF and none of the posters who play the refs could follow them effectively, because there were no refs to play to in Election Erection other than the lazy, ineffective, cowardly boostedc5. that half of d&d discovered that in the absence of posters like fishmech, you could actually just assume people were posting in good faith and not feel obligated to read their minds to discern whether they were "trolling" or whatever, and it turns out that that creates a much better environment for discussion, so Election Erection was preserved and renamed CSPAM.

ofc cspam has other differences that are important and wouldn't necessarily survive a forum merger but the good faith/bad faith thing was a big part of it. this is also why people who post in both d&d and cspam tend to have complaints about the moderation here - mods here sometimes assume that if you post something (even a well-written non-insulting post) that makes a lot of people mad, you're just trolling or trying to own your posting enemies or whatever. in cspam we take people's posts at face value and have absolutely no interest in trying to read the tea leaves on intent - you are probated based on the content of your posts, nothing more or less.

i bring this up because i've seen a lot of calls for merging cspam and d&d, but there is a lot of distance between the two in terms of style and atmosphere, not just ideology or effortposting vs shitposting

i also bring it up because it's relevant today - d&d continues to have this modding style where the "thread consensus" is effectively protected because people who don't agree with it, by the very fact that they don't agree, are seen as trolling the people who do agree. personally i think this dynamic is bad.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 30, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I think that this is a thing that happens and agree the dynamic isn't great and could do with something to shift it, with the caveat that there's a fair degree of people who post against a thread consensus, and then either refuse to contribute actual sources/content to back up their opinion or do provide something that turns out to be a decades old discredited fringe article and then when they get slammed for it complain that the thread 'isn't tolerating diversity of opinion'.

Deteriorata posted:

The main issue here is that people come into the USNews thread and post the exact same claim repeatedly. The first couple times, the thread takes it seriously and people come to a conclusion as to whether it's true/false valid/invalid or whatever.

Then the same thing gets posted again and the collective eye-rolling begins. We really don't want to have the exact same argument yet again. Someone presents the conclusion that was reached the last time around in order to forestall the tedium, and then the thread gets accused of "groupthink" and being unwilling to discuss certain ideas.

it seems to me that these are not issues which moderation helps in any way, and especially not moderation based on discerning whether a poster's opinion is genuine or fake. just posting your opinion sincerely should never be seen as trolling - even if some arch-conservative shitlord comes in and starts posting, they aren't trolling or posting in bad faith, they're just a shitlord. i mean this happens every time jrod comes to town - everyone knows that he's 100% sincere in his devotion to ron "kill you're parents" paul so he doesn't get hit for trolling or bad faith.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Somebody who is following the thread knows what topics are being discussed and have been in the past. When it's the same person making the same debunked claim repeatedly, at some point they lose the presumption of good faith. Where that line is, I'll leave up to the mods but deliberately disrupting the thread with repeated nonsense claims is absolutely trolling.

my instinct as a cspam poster is that you should all say "lmao gently caress off" to that person instead of relying on moderation, but that isn't very d&d. it may be true that within the context of d&d a mod needs to get involved in such a thing, at some point, but probably less often than they do now. also i think it's hard to come to an agreement on what "debunked" means - if someone posts a claim, and thread regulars respond with an NYT article that disagrees with the first poster's claim on like the basic premise of what facts are true or false, is that NYT article enough for you to say that the poster's claim is "debunked"? the NYT is very often wrong, you see, so the first poster could credibly say "well, but everything i said is still true, the NYT is wrong" and that is still a discussion that should be within the bounds of the rules! just because you have decided that the claim is debunked doesn't mean the other poster has to quit trying to provide evidence for that claim, although you're not obligated to pay attention to what they say if your mind is already made up of course.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's why we have mods. "Lmao, gently caress off" is an inappropriate response around here. We have our own ways of doing things. We have the Media Analysis thread to help people evaluate the credibility of sources for the very reason you mention.

it seems to me that many people do not agree with that thread's methodology for evaluating source credibility, based on what i have read in this feedback thread, and that using it as an extension of the rules - "the media analysis thread agrees that this source is completely untrustworthy, so you must be trolling if you post an article from it" or the opposite - is not a very good idea.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Honestly I bet there are more people on the forums overall that would admit to being a Tankie vs a Liberal

the taintrunner saga drove the tankies underground because it was so utterly embarassing

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Taintrunner was very much a lib

oh i mean obviously, what was embarassing was all of the actual stalinists desperate for the attention of taintrunner-senpai

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If former C-SPAM superstar taintrunner is now a lib, that's about as much proof as you need that the labels are meaningless.

he was larping OP. his posts didn't reflect his genuine beliefs but rather a sad little boy's imaginary idea of what a soviet supporter would do and say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011