Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My comment is that the word "doomer" has become utterly meaningless around here since while there are legitimate uses of it, someone giving off even the slightest notion that the future isn't all sunshine and roses is frequently called a doomer.

I don't think it should be outright illegal to say but it should be legal to make fun of & bully anyone who makes that accusation.

My other comment is that the one post per person rule is dumb for this thread since while not every piece of feedback needs elaborating on, some will and sometimes it takes an actual conversation to get to the crux of the feedback in question. Why not just allow that while being extra strict on probating bad/off-topic posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Like just for point of reference, most long-running threads have 12-18 hour long derails periodically that have a long tail for a few days after that of people discussing it for a few posts at a time. That's normal. It's not actually a problem. It's even fun, you get to learn about the thread regulars in another context and build some sense of community. I can understand wanting to mitigate a rage spiral when it happens but chat threads here in D&D seem to be interested in pre-emptively stopping rage spirals by setting a hard time limit on individual topics. That's not how big threads are supposed to work and it makes the thread really stilted to read. The rule is if you want to talk about something else, don't bitch, talk about something else. Having two conversations at once is really annoying and the thread tends to jettison the less relevant one on its own eventually. Mods don't need to facilitate this process.

Mods here see themselves as the framework through which conversations happen in and not as a giant hook that drags bad poo poo off stage.

Yeah this is a really strange thing that happens in a lot of subforums, not just here. Who cares about derails? When the intended topic of a thread is broad it seems egotistical to want every conversation to cater to someone's specific whims. Derails will usually burn themselves out naturally either when a new topic of conversation comes up (as is often the case with a thread called US News, after all) or when it just dies out when the conversation organically moves on to something else. Whenever a derail I'm not interested in becomes the topic of a thread, I just peace outta the thread until something else pops up. It shouldn't be treated like a problem unless that's all people wanna talk about for days on end at which point yeah a separate thread would be better suited for whatever the derail is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mellow Seas posted:

People who prefer CSPAM to D&D, but still want to post here: what do you think D&D can do to incorporate the things you like about CSPAM while still maintaining its own identity as a distinct subforum? What should the differences between D&D and CSPAM be?

Fewer forum bans, for one. If someone is a consistently bad poster then just probate them when they make a bad post (which will happen soon enough if they are truly consistently making bad posts), instead of any post at all regardless of whether it's good or bad. And if they're really that lovely, well, why not just do a regular ban?

It wouldn't fix everything (it would likely just be a baby step) but as far as I can tell D&D has the most forumbans on the site? Just spitballing an idea out here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

The idea that it doesn't really matter what you say as long as you're polite about it is a big problem with American politics btw

And heck even in general there's nothing worse than having fake niceness

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Hello this is a perfect encapsulation with everything wrong with the current moderation in D&D right now.The man got some mild criticism and instead of being normal about it just swung wildly for the worst reading possible while simultaneously being as dismissive as possible in tone.

Seriously, if this person still has buttons at the end of this what is the point of asking for any feedback. Even ignoring the immediate meltdown that followed it which on its own should show they should have no say in how this forum is run.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Starks posted:

Suggestion: The word "tankie" should be blacklisted. Namecalling was once frowned upon in D&D and really doesn't add anything to the discussion except to escalate pettiness, the word has lost most of its original meaning, it's posted ad naseum when certain subjects come up, and it's confusing to me personally because for years I thought a tankie was someone who worked for a think tank. If you're going to blacklist stuff like democrat party or whatever I don't see why this is allowed.

This and also "doomer" should be added to the pile insomuch as both words can have their legitimate uses but 99% of the time they're used as derogatory terms 'round these parts to mean "person to the left of me" and "person who has any degree of pessimism about the future whatsoever" respectively.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

ah, an old classic

people pretending to be actually mad about the Sherman gangtags is still probably the most pathetic gangtag-related poo poo I have ever seen

Accusing someone of only pretending to be mad (which is just another way to call someone a dreaded "concern troll") is a pretty crappy thing to do unless you have proof.

Srice fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 27, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a Hitler gang tag about him as an artist, not as a genocide architect. Oh it reminds you of the genocide? Have you tried getting smarter you baby?

This. We're celebrating calm hitler, not genocidal hitler.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Since it got brought up last page, pessimism is not necessarily doomposting. I can feel like the government has failed its people and has entered an unreversible gridlock and not feel 'doomed'. I still help my community around me, go to work, and live my life. :shrug:

Just kind of tired of catchphrases that exist only to dismiss and shut down conversations.

Yea at this point in almost all cases "doomer" literally just means "person who has any degree of pessimism at all about the future".

I don't think it should be made into a dreaded illegal word, but it should be legal to bully anyone who uses the term.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The post it's replying to is its own sort of blinkered unrealistic nothing, though. I don't see a great difference.

Toxic positivity is a heck of a thing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

After the very level-headed and reasonable posts from user Koos Group and because they seem to represent a third-party to this circular argument, I would like to suggest that both D&D and CSPAM be made subforums of FYAD.

I bet a lot of tensions would be eased just by having an anime tractor background