Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Calling a bunch of posters rape apologists for voting for Biden isn't chill posting.

And I know I was literally the only one, because as mentioned before, there was a running tally being presented as a game. Well... until Assange got brought up, and suddenly a lot more posters started having nuanced views. Those didn't get included in the tally though, for some reason.

What does it say about you that winning "the game" involved just not openly posting rape apologia and you still lost it

Would love to see examples of Assange nuance posting though

e: for the record I thought GHF's bargain bin Taintrunner act had become extremely tedious to read and I hoped he'd just give it a rest right up until the point this dude was just like "yeah the rape victim lied"

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is where you cross the line and accuse D&D posters and voters DIRECTLY of being rape apologists for voting for the Dem presidential candidate. What should've been done was call out anyone one directly tried to invalidate Tara Reade rather than general Dem voters who likely don't like Biden in the first place.

I mean someone directly trying to invalidate Reade happened in the blow thread in extremely plain and unambiguous language and you had to be harangued into giving him a sixer and spent large portions of the QCS thread and this thread being flippant/hostile/defensive about it

Maybe you've learned your lesson in the last couple days but you need to understand that no amount of posting is gonna undo the past failures to curtail that poo poo. Nobody is going to be convinced by anything you have to say about the topic and you will have to demonstrate it by future action

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Without getting into that poster's bizarrely ahistorical takes on the innocence of the CIA, I think trying to equate (accusations of) rape apologia in this subforum with (accusations of) genocide denial is unnecessary because the more relevant comparison is Chinese genocide denial vs US genocide denial, specifically the concentration camps on our southern border that are unambiguous, documented fact

If the standards of the former denial were applied to latter denial, you'd have to forumban several of the mods here themselves. If folks here want to go even harder on it, I don't really care, but those who carry water for the US government doing even worse poo poo to ethnic minorities as we speak should face the same punishment

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Just to go full D&D for a moment, this is an excellent demonstration of the Tu Quoque logical fallacy. It gets used a lot around here these days.

Specifically, China can be committing genocide and the US can be, too - and they both can be bad at the same time. Neither excuses the other. Whether or not China is committing genocide is completely orthogonal to whether or not the US is.

We can talk about whether or not what China is doing qualifies as a genocide or not independent of anything else. Then we can talk about whether or not what the US is doing qualifies. We may decide that both, either, or neither qualifies. But neither one justifies or mitigates the other.

What the gently caress are you talking about lol. My post was about how topics are moderated and punishment is applied. This seems like a textbook example of arguing with what you wish someone had said rather than what they actually said, which we're not supposed to do here

You're at least correct insofar as regardless of what China is currently doing, the US is definitely committing genocide against immigrants. I just hope that any procedures for punishing genocide denial as a generalized offense actually get applied to the US genocide because as it stands you can employ as many denialist tactics here as you want and you'll never get in trouble

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Personally I'm sick of reading posters say "but we agree on XY% of things!!" because 1) any number is obvious bullshit the poster can't actually know, 2) even if it were accurate there's still a massive amount of disagreement possible in the 100-XY% space, and 3) it functions entirely as a lazy deflection from someone unwilling to defend their own opinions cloaked in a plea to find common ground

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

the taintrunner saga drove the tankies underground because it was so utterly embarassing

Taintrunner was very much a lib and I expect most D&D posters who self-identify as communists aren't much different

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

oh i mean obviously, what was embarassing was all of the actual stalinists desperate for the attention of taintrunner-senpai

Yeah fair, that was cringe as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jazerus posted:

he was larping OP. his posts didn't reflect his genuine beliefs but rather a sad little boy's imaginary idea of what a soviet supporter would do and say

It's this. When discussions actually ranged beyond his affectations, he made it immediately clear he was just a rich guy whose imagination began and ended with BEB. It was extremely funny when he earnestly tried to argue that voting in liberal elections constituted collective proletarian action though lol

e: but yeah there are definitely libs in cspam who manage to not be obnoxious about it. Some of them even post in succ zone

e2: dang I went to go look up an old slapfight I had with him over this exact subject in the old thread and it was exactly one year ago today. Such serendipity

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 31, 2021