Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Permaban Raenir Salazar, make not other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

The Whitehouse is also not calling the mass incarceration at the border genocide, but effectively that is what is happening. Are you guys really going to define everything by whether or not the White House calls it that, or based on what it actually appears to be?

And as for the AP:
https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news-international-news-weekend-reads-china-health-269b3de1af34e17c1941a514f78d764c
:thunk: Hmmmmm, sure let's not use the word genocide, but this is literally a crime against humanity that aligns WITH genocide.
Yeah that's fair, is Handsome Ralph gonna be banned for his sick beliefs?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Well then maybe that is something that needs to change. This discussion helped. Thank you.
I'd say yes. Ban anyone who says the border concentration camps and mass incarceration of black people in the US, the residential schools in Canada, or the uyghur camps in China are not genocide. All of these things are directly and obviously equivalent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

While I'm not a fan of CommieGIR "posting through it", as the saying goes, in all fairness they have been attacked relentlessly by dozens of posters for the past week and I can't blame them for getting increasingly more defensive and flippant.

What really needs to be discussed is these coordinated harassment campaigns against D&D mods that certain groups of posters clearly dislike, and the particularly vicious and vile nature of the attacks. It's not a "both sides" issue either. I myself have voiced a ton of criticism against Majorian and the_steve in the past, but I've never accused them of being pedophiles or agents of <intel agency>, for example.

Maybe people should tone down their rhetoric several notches if they actually want to see some positive change.
:confused:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe don't slip in a "have you considered how many Jews were born during the supposed Holocaust" bit. Which everyone else you're referring to managed to avoid.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

Please don't put words in my mouth. That is nothing like what I've said that there is no mass slaughter of uyghurs, their quality of life, life expectancy has improved recently, they are allowed to worship as Muslims etc. and therefore what is happening is not a genocide. I don't dispute their being detention facilities, but those existing do not a genocide make.

Making such a point should not be verboten in the supposed debate and discussion board.
So you do not believe that Canadian and American native school systems were genocide?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

This makes it sound like you think that the problem with those was mandatory school attendance, just FYI.
Maybe I'm just from a weird part of the country but "native schools" is always a euphemism for the places they took Native American children who were kidnapped.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

Absolutely agreed. I think a mostly ignored post from Lib and Let Die really captured how this tends to play out.
Child free people are just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

This is the perfect example of the kind of post that I'd expect not to be punished by moderators - it's completely tone deaf, and the part about Poster A's 'dysfunctional reproductive organs' is thrown completely to the side to "own" someone because "a hyuk hyuk, /r/childfree, dat some reddit, lmao right?????" - but it's against someone speaking bad against the Democrats, so it's likely to just slide by.

eta: fully willing to admit that based on the username, i'm responding to a gimmick. whoops maybe?
No I just failed to read more than the first few and had assumed it was all people complaining about their taxes going to local schools or the like. I did not see the terrible poo poo said in response to them until called out. It's still crab buckety to be mad about money going to parents, but holy poo poo Poster C should have been probed or banned.