Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I have plenty of thoughts but the only one I really care to share is that the climate thread is horribly moderated to such an extent that it has shut down all useful/interesting climate posting (most of which has moved to the CSPAM climate threads).

The climate thread was one that I followed religiously for quite some time as it was one of the best resources on the internet for consolidated posting of new/interest climate related news, studies, etc. and actual, realistic discussion of such items.

But now the moderation in the thread is essentially climate denialism because you can't post in there unless it's all sunshine and rainbows on the horizon, nuclear is going to save us, etc. Anyone that posts a less optimistic take on the future of our planet is shut down and run out as a "doomer."

I get that low-info "everything is hosed" or whatever posts are not interesting or useful. But shutting down good-faith, actually good posts that talk about the reality of how bad the climate is and how little is being done to address it is really dumb and just willful ignorance.

It should speak volumes that the D&D climate thread basically died over the last several months compared to what it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Is anybody not in agreement that the mass incarceration of black Americans is basically genocide? I mean given that the US Justice system in general is steeped in White Supremacy oriented towards doing oppressive, genocide like things?

Caring about it, sure. Whether or not it IS by definition, genocide, is another. Nobody is saying you personally have to do anything about it (you can't).

lmao if this is your position then surely anyone that advocates for one of the chief architects of this genocidal system should be forum-banned, right?

my mod feedback is to demod this guy because he absolutely should not have access to buttons. i don't think he's particularly mean-spirited (thats ralph, who should also be de-modded) he's just really not suited to being a mod as he's basically the posting equivalent of a golden retriever. golden retrievers are great, everyone loves them. but theyre dumb as hell and absolutely should not be in charge of anything at all.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

make me a mod i will clear all my reports in record time and probate none

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

fool of sound posted:

Denying atrocities will get you in trouble in much the same will that denying accusers will.

I don’t really care that much about the Xinjiang discourse personally (and in fact I don’t think I’ve ever posted in any of the China/Eurasia threads), but I do think there is a difference in saying you expect to be presented with solid evidence of something like genocide, which by definition is happening to an entire group of people on a mass scale. As opposed to rape which almost as a rule is going to be an event that happens where there is no documentation or third party witnesses.

Casting aspersions on a person claiming they were raped, which is essentially an unfalsifiable claim, is not analogous to questioning the credibility/source of accusations for something that is allegedly happening to a group of people en masse.

And furthermore genocide is a pretty nebulous term that encompasses all kinds of behaviors from the straight up holocaust to much less severe types of oppression/discrimination. I think it should be fair to argue whether certain actions qualify as genocide - a flat rule against that type of argument being deemed genocide denial only serves to let ~~genocide denial~~ be used as a cudgel against posters I don’t like.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Jaxyon posted:

I too, would like to know what the hive mind that people are always referring to thinks on matters.

Can we speak with it?

Also the CSPAM hivemind.

I have many questions.

And seconding that this type of post is perfectly emblematic of the condescension that is rife within D&D and makes it a toxic place to post. Comments like this regularly go unchecked and then someone that understandably (at least in my mind) responds negatively ends up being the one that gets probed.

If you really want to improve D&D then crackdown and ramp posters that are condescending assholes. It’s just as much aggro posting as coming in hot to call someone a rape apologist or whatever.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

Just to go full D&D for a moment, this is an excellent demonstration of the Tu Quoque logical fallacy. It gets used a lot around here these days.

Specifically, China can be committing genocide and the US can be, too - and they both can be bad at the same time. Neither excuses the other. Whether or not China is committing genocide is completely orthogonal to whether or not the US is.

We can talk about whether or not what China is doing qualifies as a genocide or not independent of anything else. Then we can talk about whether or not what the US is doing qualifies. We may decide that both, either, or neither qualifies. But neither one justifies or mitigates the other.

I mean, it's not at all, because TIH wasn't trying to claim that accusations of Chinese Genocide in Xinjiang are false - he's claiming that if we're forum banning people for Chinese Genocide Denial then that same standard should be applied to American Genocide Denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

permaban everyone that posts 10 paragraphs when 2 would more than suffice imo