Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The central problem with forcing people out to different threads is that those different threads are either dead or have an established position that is thoroughly hostile to the debate. I don't have any issue with something like the voting thread, because that discussion happens again and again in USPOL and fundamentally can not have a resolution, but the immigration thread pissed me off because that mostly just killed discussion about an ongoing crisis in US politics, and I saw enough bullshit probes come down that I decided it wasn't with participating in it and I'd prefer to just blow off steam in CSPAM. The China thread told everyone to just gently caress off and banned anyone who mentioned Zenz, and while I'm not wading into that thing because I'm in the more-genocide-than-not camp, it's still a bad way of dealing with it. This all stinks of people just not wanting to hear about it anymore because they just want to have a news feed of What Happened Today In Congress. That's what NYTimes.com is for, not USPOL.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mellow Seas posted:

People who prefer CSPAM to D&D, but still want to post here: what do you think D&D can do to incorporate the things you like about CSPAM while still maintaining its own identity as a distinct subforum? What should the differences between D&D and CSPAM be?

Probations should be for being particularly hostile, not just thrown out for mild attacks, because all of the probations for mild attacks end up being filtered through ideology. My most recent D&D probations, despite being on generally very good behavior, are:

- 3 days for making a pretty benign joke about a cop killing himself
- 6 hour grudge probation for no reason from a mod that ended up leaving with a meltdown
- 6 hours for using the phrase "concentration camp"
- 6 hours for calling Bellingcat a CIA front / lightly ribbing someone for getting Very Mad about that possibility
- 6 hours for implying Pick is racist

All except the first were ideologically motivated. I'm open to people completely disagreeing with this and then I'll just mostly stick to C-SPAM, but there's basically a "never be mad" rule that lets a couple of Calm Hitlers run wild.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

And that's the fundamental disconnect here. You're more than welcome to come and express any opinion you like. Just do it politely and respectfully, and have some evidence to back up your points.

If you just leap in with guns blazing, you'll get probed in a heartbeat. Not for your opinions, but for being a jerk.

This is both untrue and bad policy even if it were. "Politely and respectfully" questioning Tara Reade's credibility led to a chaotic meltdown, forum war, and QCS drama and rightfully so; "politely and respectfully" questioning Adrian Zenz's credibility led to instant bans.

[edit: this page has kind of gone away from the rules set out by the OP and I've been following suit -- is this okay or not? Might take a breather here until we get a ruling.]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 26, 2021

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think being a D&D mod is easy, but I think Fool of Sound is generally on point with his front-facing moderation and I have nothing bad to say. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, though. It might just be that CommieGIR and Ralph to hand out so many random, capricious punishments that he is generally able to escape the spotlight.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

As a NoJoe in large part due to the credible rape accusation, I do not and did not really have an issue with the utilitarian arguments for voting for Biden being posted here, even though I strongly disagreed with them. I had an issue with the people minimizing the accusation, maligning Reade's character, and just generally being gross. "But have you seen the other guy?!?" is not an argument that I think is very strong but I wouldn't want it to be punished.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

At the end of the day I don't care about someone's ideology or political alignment as long as they come into discussions in this forum (or in real life, for that matter) with an open mind, do simple things like vet their sources and post civilly, and adopt an attitude of humility when talking to someone who is more knowledgeable than them in the subject being discussed. I know that's a lot to ask when it's a broader topic like politics where the strength of one's convictions tends to be inversely proportional to their level of knowledge, but this type of culture can indeed become a reality with strict and consistent moderation, so long as it is backed by an alignment of purpose between mods, admins and Jeffrey.

To be totally frank with you, and without getting into an awkward/gross battle over the details here, you're misreading the use of authoritative language and dedicated interest in a topic as "expertise." It's an anonymous internet forum, nobody gets to come in with some magical force field of respect above anybody else, and every post should be taken at face value. It's one thing to suggest enforced rules of decorum and civility and limit harassment, which is quite fair; it's another thing entirely to expect moderators to be able to somehow assess and protect the "knowledgeable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

The CIA thing is interesting because the best places to discuss topics like that currently in practice tend not to be D&D or CSPAM, like LatwPiat's recent effort post in TFR is the kind of post that's not really possible or all that welcome by a vocal minority of posters in D&D, but in a completely different subforum these posts get made by passionate interested people and actual discussion that's really interesting can actually happen.

Right, but that's the argument that keeps happening.

Hm? Nothing about that post looks like it wouldn't be welcome in D&D. CSPAM wouldn't give a poo poo because nobody who regularly posts in CSPAM is going to bother to effortpost on the validity of a very specific book about a very specific topic when the takehome is "the CIA didn't do a horrible thing," but there have been a good number of history effortposts in both forums.