Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kavros' post was pretty spot on and honestly could have been enough to close the thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post518708299

I think the forum needs to get stricter with ramps and stop giving third, tenth, 20th chances before threadbanning. I don't see how it isn't obvious that some posters are going to continue to be abusive assholes more often than not. That's never going to help along any sort of discussion. Just fermenting more toxic assholes. This goes for any previously forumbanned poster coming in here: you got more than enough chances before you were banned. Own up to it and stop pretending you're a victim. It took an incredible amount of time for your rear end to get the boot.

Stringent's post demonstrates the above: bitches about multiple examples of people being threadbanned, but pretends like it just happened out of nowhere, and not after repeated and sustained shitposts.

I don't think mods should decide on probes out of a flame war just because of how they 'feel'. Especially when other mods/IKs insist that they played no part in it. If a bunch of people were being dipshits, probe them all. Not just one person.

Fancy Pelosi posted:

As some have suspected, this is a re-reg troll account. This month, I've been posting in bad faith, I've posted lies, I've misrepresented sources (that were directly linked in my posts)

All you did was prove that everyone ignored your posts except for those who took issue with your content, and they decided to ad hom rather than check your sources and argue against that. Do you really think this is of a big of a win as you think it is?

Since you were weird enough to re-reg to own the libs, did you also go the extra weird step of buying that red title of yours a few days back that you complained about?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Cpt_Obvious posted:

these days forum bans are reserved purely for ideological reasons

Give some examples of forum bans that were purely ideological.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel that the suggestion to ban conservative view points is just opening pandora's box by giving ammo to the posters with the most extreme viewpoints to redefine moderate views as "conservative" in order to demand mod enforcement action on beliefs or positions they disagree with.

I think the core to a lot of the conflict here is that for a good chunk of people they are not able to respect the opinions they disagree with. Most people here agree (as do I) that universal non-means tested government programs are good policy; but this is not a majority view among people in real life. And many people to a varying degree of education on the topic, will have concerns and opposing view points and it should be possible to respectfully Discuss and Disagree with those views in a respectful manner. Because what if they have a good point? People should want to strive for the optimal solution and not just the right solution.

There's a pervasive with-us-or-against-us vibe to a lot of posts in USNews due to the feelings of helplessness, dread, and anger about the world around them. It's essentially a way to rationalize the aggroposting going around. Some may not want to participate, but because they agree with the feelings, they don't call it out.

Just a couple posts later, here's an example in this very thread:

Elephant Ambush posted:

People who call themselves "moderate" are actually conservative. Sorry. And conservatives have never ever had a good point. That question was answered a long time ago.

And people like you will never agree to any solution because you've made it very clear that you like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing so you can post tons of words that make you seem smarter than you really are.

To tie this to the thread topic, this is one kind of posting we really don't need here. I don't even care if this dude makes long posts. I want people whose obvious primary motivation for posting is to constantly slightly disagree with everything just so they can post more to be punished for it with way more than a sixer.

For some people, there's really no room for any differences of opinion. The reason they so loudly proclaim that people are being banned because they are posting against the ideology of the thread is because they, themselves, want their ideology to be dominant and all others to be silenced.

I've asked before, "who has been banned purely due to ideology", but no one has answered.

It's really no different from right wingers screaming about CRT in their public schools when there's no evidence for it at all.