Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The whole liberal leftist divide brings up something for me which was the whole thought terminating cliche that got tossed around last year and there are posters who use liberal to great effect. We just saw two pages of it, I have labelled this or you liberal and then don't have to actually deal with the argument at hand or the discussion. It's basically a way to limit the discussion or not have to engage with someone. Tankie is obviously the other side to this when someone doesn't want to deal with a leftist point.

I think if we are being honest the guiding light here needs to be, does this add to the conversation? So throwing out some smug, "imagine being a liberal and thinking X will save you." Doesn't add to the conversation and limits what we're talking about. I am not saying have a list of phrases, I am saying crack down harder on posts that are essentially white noise.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

No, the point being made was that the term was used as a thought-terminating clause/epithet, in the same manner and effect that D&D is upset at getting called "liberals".

If I wasn't clear, my point is that there are people who are using the term liberal to end discussion and not engage with what is being discussed, much like tankie is around here as well.