Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

I guess I'll risk breaking the new rules (and being "the new spreadsheet goon") to answer this (eta: this is a very rough estimate. it could be 1/2 this as FoS mentions a few posts down, there are some warnings in here!)

Starting with 1/1/2020 I filtered a list of entries by "Requested By" of all the current D&D mods, as well as Majorian and MPF, then filtered by 'contains "forum ban"' in the Punishment Reason, then filtered the for only the unique values of Horrible Jerk in that list. I came up with the following 10 posters:

Covok
Dett Rite
gudetama
Mafic Rhyolite
PeterCat
poll plane variant
Stringent
the 2016 lover
UP AND ADAM
VitalSigns

Applying the same steps with 'thread ban' gives the following list of 19 posters:

Bucky Fullminster
DarkCrawler
forbidden dialectics
Nix Panicus
PeterCat
Regarde Aduck
Ruzihm
Sharkie
SKULL.GIF
SorePotato
St. Dogbert
The Angry Bum
The Great Autismo!
TwoQuestions
UP AND ADAM
Vasukhani
Verus
virtualboyCOLOR
VitalSigns

Accounting for duplicates this is a total of 26 forum-and-thread-banned posters:

Bucky Fullminster
DarkCrawler
forbidden dialectics
Nix Panicus
PeterCat
Regarde Aduck
Ruzihm
Sharkie
SKULL.GIF
SorePotato
St. Dogbert
The Angry Bum
The Great Autismo!
TwoQuestions
UP AND ADAM
Vasukhani
Verus
virtualboyCOLOR
VitalSigns
Covok
Dett Rite
gudetama
Mafic Rhyolite
poll plane variant
Stringent
the 2016 lover

bunch of these are parachutes and you should also go through and remove the ones that are just 'keep doing this and you'll be thread banned,' too

vasukhani, chairmaster, and 2016lover all contributed 3-4 accounts to the list iirc

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 27, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
uspol/news stats are unfortunately skewed by the ramps/people breaking forum bans for the 6th time and getting +30d and so on

if you account for those it looks far less impressive

p sure you'd find that it's ~10 or 15 people who are receiving 80-90% of the probation time in here, too. Also that list is almost a direct overlap of the forum banned list, for some reason.

anyways this is all fairly consistent with repeated iterations of the feedback thread saying 'please ramp people for repeatedly sucking' 'don't give people infinity chances, apply ramps faster' and 'please forum ban people before they get rack up like 4 pages of mod actions

btw this one is interesting because you can actually see pretty accurately when various people were on vacation/dealing with RL stuff and that the overall volume of actions taken was often pretty consistent regardless of who was doing it. big spike in feb/march was from ramps/forum ban violations, though things leveled out after people either got off of ramps or got tossed out

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 27, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Looks about right

Chinathread: generates very few probes, most of the ones it does are for something substantial
USpol: generates 5,000,000,000 sixers, occasionally bigger probes. on the cumulative time, 120 sixers represents the same thing that one 30 day does
USnews: same as above, but lower average because many of the ramps/forum bans had been applied by the time uspol was reborn as usnews

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

enki42 posted:

I think it's a reasonable statement that even if the entire mod team was purged, the majority of posters reactions to being asked to be a D&D mod would be "no. haha gently caress no lol".

yeah it's this. what is the upside to accepting that offer for literally anyone?

yes you get to volunteer your free time and in return you get... what exactly? other than a big target of course

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think it has something to do with the fact that the only mod that doesn't get quite a bit of flack is the one that's been dead for a decade.

It seems to be a thankless job that isn't worth it because of the treatment by other posters. You guys act like GJB and CGR are as bad as someone like r guyavich who just went on forum purges of his posting enemies.

there's also ardennes who, at current count, hasn't posted in dnd in like 3 months, which is par for the course for him lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tq has gotten bounced out of goon communities going back like 4+ years for exactly this poo poo. dude feeds off of the attention of people trying to talk him out of his depressive outlooks or something. idk precisely what the deal is but it's been going on for ages and it's never been about having a mutual discussion

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lol if you search 'everything will be fine' in dnd, every single use of it in the last ten months in dnd has been someone mocking the idea. I very much doubt there's a pandemic of people posting unrestrained optimism like that. dnd is by and large extremely cynical and pessimistic on both sides of the aisle and most of the debate is over just how cynical to be

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does someone have the unedited tank man video handy?

what is the edited version?

asking that earnestly btw, I've literally never seen or heard of any major edited version of it because the original footage is sufficiently powerful in its own right.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 29, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
imo the spin stuff off into a new thread is indeed a good idea and yeah that's how forums work, but yknow let stuff go on a little longer before shutting it down, especially if it's merely a derail and not a slapfight and doubly so if its a slow news day

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Isn't dnd already 95% just a current events forum? until people started yelling about it, I hadn't actually heard someone take the d&d name as literal statement of purpose in like over a decade or something. it's just a place people go to talk about what's happening in the world.

also there's the issue of who will mod it. This site already doesn't have enough mods for 2 politics forums, nor any ability to retain those that it has, much less enough for an inevitably conflict-filled 3rd forum.

I don't think a current events forum is a bad idea per se, but a ton of the politics forums issues come directly out of there being multiple politics forums, which creates a ton of artificial friction and conflict and adding a 3rd one is just going to make that entire situation way worse. idk why there are even two, given that plenty of shitposting happens in dnd and plenty of effortposting happens in cspam and the actual ideological views of each are drat near a circle venn-diagram

on a more specific note, even if you close it you just get another thread that de facto becomes the same thing as, for better or for worse, a large percentage of posters just want a generic topic thread to scroll through to catch up. idk what the solution to that is really

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 30, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it eventually died off because people just wanted to general us politics chat

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

astral posted:

Again, outsider here, but my understanding is the USNews thread is the part that's specifically meant to be that.

yeah, i'm saying that in practice, it's a lot more muddled.

astral posted:

Ask people nicely not to do that since there'd be an entire forum for that exact thing? Or, as I believe was suggested previously, there could a case for a links-only thread to the Current Events forum.

I don't come down particularly strongly on either side of the USnews thing personally, but just fyi trying to get uspol/news to be a certain thing or to not be another thing has absorbed a massive amount of moderator energy over like 6+ years for drat near zero recognizable impact. People have certainly been asked nicely and not-so-nicely over the years to keep from US posting absolutely everywhere and eh none of it has stuck. I'm not trying to poo poo on the idea, cuz I don't think it's a bad idea, but I completely do not see how a current events forums meaningfully differs from cspam or dnd, which both derive much of their traffic from people seeing a piece of news and coming to post it/about it in a thread (with a close second being people popping in to read a general thread to see what has been happening). De facto there are already two current events forums that already lack a clear delineation. Arguably even 3 of them if you include GBS, which often ends up with a thread for big events.

Maybe the solution is indeed more forums that talk about politics, but without admins consistently (much less voluntarily) paying attention to the politics forums that already exist, it seems like it would just be adding another can of worms to inevitably explode when it is neglected

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the liberal vs leftist stuff makes no sense unless you take it as a given that being a leftist makes you implicitly not a dnd poster. most of dnd's most prominent and especially the most prolific posters are leftists. like I get that people see themselves as posting in dnd and not as dnd posters (in spite of multi-year, multi-thousand post counts in dnd), but just taking this thread for instance, of the 30 people with the most posts in the thread, by my count ~over 20 are leftists (almost entirely communists/MLs, and i'm not even counting social democrats which would be several more)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3982820

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

A little misleading to use the feedback thread for that, let's take a look at https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3965530 (and subtract the thread-banned posters)

sure, that's still a good example of how many of the most prominent and prolific dnd posters are obviously leftists though

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Just lmao given the offsite swarm's efforts to have me thread-banned and/or forum-banned.

?? I'm sure plenty of people would like you gone, same as there are who would like me gone. I think there's about as much of an effective push to forum ban you as there is to forum ban me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Koos Group posted:

Well, if this happens, the probation should be upheld and the appeal shouldn't be taken seriously. Simple as.

Isn't this precisely how do the vast majority of appeals of dnd probations go?

like out of every probation i gave, I think maybe one was overturned and one was reduced by like a day. one ban on a guy saying that canada's residential schools were comparably lethal to elite boarding schools was also overturned by an admin who even gave the guy a loving apology, but the admin was promptly yelled at and it was reinstated

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 30, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Koos Group posted:

Not sure. Mr. Sound might have some insight on that.

all i know is I had a lot of probations disputed and like .2% of them were ever reduced or overturned

btw on that note, a ton of the moderation actions that happen in dnd are in the context of the last page of a person's posting and noting that an action was for a sum of posts as opposed to purely for a one off post I think made things much clearer for everyone. imo mods could avoid a bunch of blowback by making a point of noting this more and much more explicitly.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 30, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
the vast majority of uses of tankie in dnd are by people using it to, uh idk how to word it, project/paraphrase what they imagine other people are saying? it's not really a term that gets used in dnd that much, outside of those uses

eg
https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1635643838

not to say it never gets used here, but you usually only see it when someone posts really the most blistering takes about xinjiang

(for comparison, tankies: 170 uses in 2 years || liberals: 420 uses in 2 months)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Koos Group posted:

Liberal tankie here.

lowtax was right to send the tanks into fyad :colbert: