Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kaedric posted:

This poster and all posters saying the same thing are literally the exact problem with D&D, just a heads up. Just an unslakeable thirst to punish those with wrongthink.

Also a big megalol that I could tell you exactly who would be asking for this before I even opened the thread.

No one has ever been forumbanned for "wrongthink" theyve been banned for being assholes over prolonged periods of time. The fact people continue to pretend people only get probed for hating the Dems or whatever
Is why discourse has been ruined in DnD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Willa gets probed and ramped constantly for petty poo poo and you know it. Most of its baited trash and if she doesn't take the bait she gets harassed about it.

Willa has 3 probes in the past 2 months and posts about 100 times a day in USNEWS, there was a ramp back in August over a series of shitposts none of that feels like constantly, it really feels like CSPAM have created their own echo chamber cinematic universe nonsense "D&D probes anyone who doesn't love the dems" and "people were forumbanned at the drop of the hat for not liking a dem" and spend their time raging over it. I think the solution to fixing D&D is to close the Succ thread so there stops being a thread that encourages cspammers to come argue with usnews for the purpose of trolling and farming quotes for their weird circlejerk thread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Det, do you think that social security post screeching for the closure of his forum enemies' thread counts as "emotions in check?"

Sorry I don't think there should be a thread in the forum that exists to harass and stalk another part of the forum.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So your argument is that you want to be a dick to people, but Jeffrey won't let you and that makes you mad.

This is basically the crux of everything, it's why some people get so mad about spin off threads, because they don't really want to discuss the issue they want to yell at the "libs" in USpol/news, and the people they want to own don't move to the spinoff thread.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Stop probing people for having a position that is left of the US News thread's group think. They're not all automatically trolling you or trying to trick you, they're not all "doomers" and "tankies." Debate them, this is supposed to be the debate forum.

If you don't want it to be the debate forum anymore, change the loving name and turn it into the echo chamber that is so clearly desired. Then the D&D regulars will be happy and the report queue will slow down, which is all that matters to the mod team.

Could you show some examples of this happening ever?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

What I'm hearing is that GBS and CSPAM are environments you like posting in. Sounds like other people like posting in a different environment, one you call "tedious" but others might call "grounded in facts" or "reasoned." Sounds like the system is working, and you and people that don't like posting in or reading D&D should just stop posting in or reading D&D?

I've never read other feedback threads but does like C-SPAM or the Sports forum feedback threads have tons of people who never post there coming in to tell them how things should be and how wrong/dumb they all are?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The hostility is why I post way less then I used to, it happens less now but there was a time that
*posts a misleading or outright lying headline from the hill*
*someone corrects them saying this is just lies*
*WHY DO YOU LOVE THE LIBS SO MUCH YOU DEMOCRAT DEVIL*
like the idea of vetting a source or even reading an article became a sign you were an evil lib and deserving of being harassed. Trying to explain the actual mechanics behind what's happening became a sign of support of that thing because you attempted to understand it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah shame that was the only piece of feedback in the entire thread, you got us!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

Is there supposed to be something different from the status quo here? I'm honestly asking, because as far as I can tell this has always been the mission statement of D&D, which has been an utter failure and led us to here.

Treating this board as an ideologically neutral space for debate and discussion is insane and its the source of most of the problems here. This is a left-liberal current events board, and that's fine. There are a lot of left-liberals here and they deserve a space to discuss current events within their own ideological framework. CSPAM is the same thing but for a leftist framework.

All you have to do to fix this board is enforce a liberal ideology and make USPOL an explicitly pro Democratic party thread. You don't even need hard rules and harsh enforcement to do this. Just have a consistent forum culture and, most importantly, be upfront about its ideology leanings.

This gets suggested in every feedback thread and it never gets taken seriously. I think the reason for this is because End of History thinking still prevails (in general, not just talking about this board) so people prefer to believe that they do not subscribe to an ideology but rather arrived at their beliefs through rational analysis. Thus, we have to continue this charade of pretending that this is a debate forum where everyone just happened to rationally come to left-liberal conclusions and that supporting the Democrats is not so much a personal choice as it is simply the smartest possible move.

Has anyone ever been probed for simply being "anti Democratic party" I'm not sure where this urban legend or whatever comes from.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

When it's the same conversation we've already had six hundred times, no one wants to do it again.

You can feel that the government has failed its people and entered an unreversible gridlock without having it be the only thing you ever post about.

Yeah some people want to actually discuss what's in various bills not be bombarded with "it doesn't matter what's in the bill climate change will kill us all, etc" every 3 posts, it just doesn't help anything.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

As a NoJoe in large part due to the credible rape accusation, I do not and did not really have an issue with the utilitarian arguments for voting for Biden being posted here, even though I strongly disagreed with them. I had an issue with the people minimizing the accusation, maligning Reade's character, and just generally being gross. "But have you seen the other guy?!?" is not an argument that I think is very strong but I wouldn't want it to be punished.

Why isn't it, the reality of the situation is there were two rapists running for president and one was fundamentally worse then the other, the real split is between those that believe whatever small good a Biden presidency will do for people is worth having to vote for him over the other rapist. That said I have no sympathies for anyone that voted for Biden in the primary, however I don't feel there are many if any of those people in D&D

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

thatfatkid posted:

A cspam thread has nothing to do with a D&D moderation thread Just say you don't like leftwing opinions.

Wait is denying the square happened a leftwing opinion?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

it was spurred by some of the same black-and-white-cartoon thinking we see in this thread ("vitalsigns supported taliban rape!") when it arose in the me-too thread.

and I think it's a clue to one of the bigger problems in dnd, inasmuch as "you're with us or against us" reflexive & reductionist thinking/posting tends to shut down opposing points of view when they're outside the narrow range of acceptable opinion that dominates liberal u.s. political discourse--or, as is common in dnd as well as outside of SA, equating the far right with the far left.

maybe it's a natural progression that arose from twitter burns and/or hyperpartisanship, but I think this forum, as well as the country at large, are worse off for it. I'd like to think most people outgrew the idea that everything comes down to Good Guys vs. Bad Guys by the time they're old enough to go to kindergarten, but I imagine that the political utility of distilling thought like a 3 yr old outweighs any damage to those who perpetuate it.

How are you not doing the exact thing you are railing against here by putting everyone in D&D in some box.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Many split off threads have had tons of content? Do you have an example of one that has failed?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I think that this is a thing that happens and agree the dynamic isn't great and could do with something to shift it, with the caveat that there's a fair degree of people who post against a thread consensus, and then either refuse to contribute actual sources/content to back up their opinion or do provide something that turns out to be a decades old discredited fringe article and then when they get slammed for it complain that the thread 'isn't tolerating diversity of opinion'.

Yeah "disagreeing with the thread consensus" usually comes with a bullshit misleading Hill link or straight up no evidence at all, that's why it gets shot down.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

This is a sentiment that's been echoed by many throughout this thread, so I hope that mods pay extra attention to it, instead of continuing to use "bad faith" as a blanket excuse to punish those with whom they disagree.

This, on the other hand, is a great example of shitposting that adds nothing to the conversation & instead feeds into victim narratives & forums wars.

I mean it's the truth just look at someone like a big flaming stinks rap.sheet where he's been probed dozens of times for posting misleading tweet or articles that say the opposite of what he claims, why should we pretend that doesn't happen?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

Restating, an ongoing source of friction in D&D is that some left-wing posters with a gatekeeping fetish keep labeling other left-wing posters as "liberals" in an attempt to invalidate their arguments. These other soi disant "liberal" left-wing posters are frequently befuddled by this position and deny it, shocking the fetishists.

Yeah this basically is the rub anytime you disagree with anyone who calls themselves a "leftist" even a little they start calling you a dirty lib and talk about how all libs are the devi, they assign you a label and put you in that box then most feel defensive about that because they are trying to tell you what you are and what you believe, it leads to endless pointless slapfights.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Here's the full conversation:

I don't know how you can read this conversation and conclude that:

a) Liberals/D&D posters are a-OK with the CIA and its actions
b) MonsieurChoc isn't simply trying to be as disagreeable as possible to derail the thread (which worked, btw)

This leads to a ton of issues too, people misremember some conversation and it becomes some warped part of forums lore through getting passed along/misremembered to the point people are getting attack for things not even close to what originally happened, it's just tedious.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bishyaler posted:

I thought my point of "D&D will never be a calm debate space due to the innate hostility between leftists and liberals" was going to be harder to prove, but then we had liberals falling over themselves to defend the legitimacy of an organization which kills leftists. We even had one poster concoct a scenario to get mad about where he imagined that I would say "gently caress joe biden for not dismantling it yesterday".

The prosecution rests.

This is not an argument anyone made and a perfect example about how someone tries their best to warp a conversation into an attack on their enemies.

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm actually really offended by this post's implication and it perfectly sums up the ridiculously corrosive effect that dnd's draconian moderation has on conversations. My rap sheet has a series of probes in which mods punished what they believed were low-effort or white noise posting. I'm not going to spend too much effort to argue with a sixer, and most of them were indeed sixers. Then those sixers became proof of me being a bad faith poster, and what would be a sixer offense became a 3 day offense. Suddenly, I was a habitually bad faith poster, and mods used their own actions as evidence that I needed to be more harshly punished.

The long and short of it is that it pretty much drove me to stop posting in dnd for months, and even now that I have returned i post much, much less. And even now, my "pattern" of posting low effort posts worthy of sixers is used to cite me, out of the blue, as a spreader of disinformation worthy of contempt.

seriously, are you all trying to make this place as closed off as possible?

You literally posted misleading articles or ones you didn't even read because they make the opposite point you claim they did several times a week for months every single time it derailed the thread as everyone had to explain your own article to you, how does that not make you a habitually bad faith poster, hell the mods were simply asking you half the time to read the article and explain why you were posting it but that seemed too much for you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yinlock posted:

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core ideological differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Not helping is the consistent labeling of these core differences as petty disagreements, like the weird "strange that you dislike someone who agrees with you on most things" arguments

I don't actually know how to sort though that tangle though, it's a fuckin mess

Maybe the leftists you keep calling liberals don't like being mislabeled? Maybe you aren't the sole arbiter of what makes a person a leftist and people get annoyed when you rush to give them a label so you can hate on them?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s also not at all a “leftist” vs “liberal” opinion

I mean when you say blackmailing manchin probably is a bad idea you get labeled a democrat worshipping liberal so it certainly feels that way.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

If no one sees the troll, they won't successfully derail the conversation, which means no damage is done, so who cares?

Considering how many people in this very thread were bragging because people ignored fancy pelosi I imagine quite a few

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Honestly I bet there are more people on the forums overall that would admit to being a Tankie vs a Liberal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

Perhaps the relevant snippets should be posted in the rules thread; if the Media Analysis thread is to act as a de facto rules thread, it seems a bit onerous to expect everyone to read the whole thing.

Since when, what rules are posted there?