Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Delete the forum. I genuinely believe the mods are doing their best, but a big loud batch of posters went rotten right under their noses and you know what they say about bad apples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If you really think about it every woman who gives birth is doing a cultural genocide of the unborn

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think the problem is that the mods seem to be taking all rules of a properly functioning system, legislative executive and judicial, into a single chaotic group

D&D seems like the first and best place to roll out a new method of handling punishments that go beyond sixers, The Poster's Court. I have over 5 years of experience as an administrative law judge providing the much lauded constitutional right to Due Process to the public and would be glad to help guide you through the process of establishing policy guidelines and finding volunteer judges in the legal questions thread from A/T.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just want to say that even when everyone was breaking the rules this is mostly the best posting about posting has gone in a very long time. Go team!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

You have been probated one time ever in D&D that I can tell, by exmarx, and I just scrolled through your post history here and it's all completely uncontroversial USPol/Trump/Right Wing media white noise and some QUILTBAG posting up until Benghazi 2 got banned, and you haven't participated in D&D basically at all since then.

So unproblematic posters have stopped participating in D&D and this is not just an issue with "cspammers" or people who want shitposting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

I only care about the opinion of people who have firsthand experience with posting here, not secondhand opinions from some other thread or grudges from before any of the current mod team was around.

I've been posting in D&D since l like, 2005 or something insane. The people who don't post in D&D as much anymore but used to are right. The people who have spent years saying "the forum is bad because we haven't banned all the correct people for it to be good yet" are wrong. I won't name or quote any in particular since the rules in this thread are unusual and I don't want to gently caress it up.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

This framework would mean that any response to the question "how can you vote for Joe Biden in the face of Tara Reade's accusation?" is bannable as rape apologism. Vocally disbelieving Reade is bannable under the general "do not cast aspersions on accusers" rule, as is believing her account but arguing that, under their personal moral calculus, other matters won out. This isn't a theoretical catch-22 either, the hesitancy to formally ban it in the 2020 primary thread was in large part due to people doing just this, and I strongly suspect that these calls make a lot of posters who would otherwise participate in the MeToo thread hesitant to do so.

It doesn't have to. I don't know if anyone is calling for that. Less calls to drive out wrong think. More "here's why you are wrong" while keeping the "you idiot monster" to yourself.

fool of sound posted:

This isn't just a D&D issue either; I don't think the games mods would be super happy about calls to ban everyone who still plays WoW for 'supporting rape' or similar, nor would CD mods probably allow liking Kevin Spacey's acting in K-Pax to be called rape apologism. Obviously these aren't a 1:1 comparison for a number of reasons, the point is that lots of wealthy and powerful people are awful, and acting in a way that benefits them is not the same thing as supporting them.

Right. This is why there should be a crew chat for people who really like USPOL the way it is and want to whittle away the problems, while rebuilding D&D itself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

"Just as punishable" isn't quite right, but calling people rape apologists who are not, in fact, doing that is punishable. Like I said in my original post, acting in a way that benefits a powerful rapist isn't the same thing as supporting that person or their actions.

Still not sure this applies to politics the way it applies to consumption under capitalism. Maybe there should be a thread where this can be discussed without posters being punished for hurting Biden voters feelings.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

fool of sound posted:

"Both the democrats and Republicans ultimately ran rapists, this is a damning example of rape culture and the extent to which the powerful are above the law" is fine. "It was an inexcusable moral failing to vote for a major party candidate knowing this" is not.q

The latter should also be fine. It's a ripe ground for discussion. It's one thing for someone to repeatedly bring it up over and over in US Pol in response to every post about Biden or whatever, representing that as your opinion should not be actionable by default. We all have moral failings and I don't think it's the end of the world to feel like someone has pointed out what they think is one of yours. As long as it's not descending into slap fighting "obviously you don't care about black people since you didn't vote Biden" or then being used to try run people out of the forum for balancing their moral hazards differently.

Tdd had a good post on the last page. I'm still processing how to explain all this but we're talking about important ideological conversations and there's got to be some room to try to persuade people on any side that they are wrong and have been wrong about things, as long as it isn't done incredibly toxicly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

this is going to sound like a shitpost but I swear this is a genuine question, is this really just a semantics argument? Like, can they then be called 'rapist supporters' because that would be technically more accurate?

I think there are contexts in which this should be ok to say but I think the mods are leery of someone constantly rolling into uspol with "listen up all you rapist supporters" for good reason.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think what people are looking for is space to discussion of what China is currently doing in way that cannot be allowed regarding the question of what Joe Biden did to Tara Reade or what Hitler did to the Jews. Which is reasonable since one is an ongoing situation. They'd like not to be accused of genocide denial while doing so.

I know little about the China thing but mostly I think we would need to do much worse here to US culture to ever fix climate change.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 29, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

How are u posted:

The Eurasia thread in cspam

I stopped reading your post here, because we are all talking about D&D, not CSPAM, and the consensus in this thread seems to be that they are not being segregated based on opinions/stances on issues.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I too, would like to know what the hive mind that people are always referring to thinks on matters.

Can we speak with it?

This is the kind of thing I think D&D should have less of. Answer for yourself if you like, or don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Final thought:

I like the liberals that think they are leftist, generally. They are trying to do the right thing despite decades of capitalist ideological indoctrination. I like D&D and want it to be better and stop getting worse (free vitalsigns). This was a good thread. The fundamental problem with D&D is linear posting. We can't not repeat arguments. Koos pointed out this issue, and it's the biggest one. We need an argumans or a kialo. Maybe a forums migration caravan. Or a goon project.