Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

some plague rats posted:

My feedback is that having a rule that everyone can only make one post, and as such there's no consensus or building off each other's ideas or responding to what other people post, is the deeply stupid. You could not have a clearer sign that this thread is intended as a busy box to quiet the posters down and let the mods carry on with exactly what they were going to do anyway.

We're only allowing one post per a user for now, similar to how Athanatos did with his feedback/mod suggestion thread from last month. Once some time has passed and it seems like everyone who was going to chime in has done so, we'll open the floor up again for anyone that wants to make a follow up post before we close this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Thread reopened, have at it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pamela Springstein posted:

Would like to know more about this since the thread isnt focused on CG anymore. has Ralph read this thread?

I've been reading it and discussing it (when I have the time) with the other mods and admins, but as Commie noted, I have a lot going on behind the scenes right now so I'm focusing my energies elsewhere for the time being.

Anyways, regarding that specific probation. I submitted the longer probation almost a week ago. Sometimes the admins approve things right away, sometimes they will approve longer probations days if not a week later because they too have their own poo poo to deal with that isn't related to the forums. That poster in particular has a history of posting "We're doomed" takes and not much else, plus this isn't even the first time they've been ramped for it. Even if that poster didn't have a history of doomer takes, link dropping and just adding "bills dead" without much else context isn't really keeping in line with providing context whenever you drop tweets or article links. Also I think this has may have been pointed out, but if not, forum bans aren't issued solely on the judgement of one mod. There is a consensus when it's done. Thread bans aren't as strict, but more often than not, mods will raise the possibility with other mods to see if there are any objections. Many threadbans and even forumbans have ended up not happening at all because some members of the mod team felt they weren't warranted. I'll add to that, I generally agree with some of the posts in here that they aren't very effective in some cases, and that there needs to be a better structure for how they are managed and as well as codified steps to reversing them.

Also with regards to someone complaining about PMing me and my responses to them, kinda weird that they left out the part where they came in guns hot with abuse and then later made comments questioning my mental health and that of other mods (not just DnD mods either) because we dared probate them for their lovely posts :thunk:

I respond to pretty much every PM I get so long as it's not pure strain garbage or abuse being thrown in my direction. Usually if someone comes in hot but are otherwise just frustrated by a mod action and aren't actively trying to be an abusive dickhead, I do try to engage with them in a reasonable and respectful manner because I do recognize there's another person on the other side of the conversation. But there have been a few times where people send me a PM to be nothing more but a raging rear end in a top hat and I've fired back. As another mod or admin once put it, we're not required to put up with that poo poo from anyone in PMs. We're volunteers, and even if we weren't, I'm pretty sure Jeff wouldn't tell us that we have to smile and put up with people being abusive shitheads in our inboxes because they or one of their friends ate a sixer.