Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

-Thoughts on Moderation-

My current issue with D&D moderation is consistency.

From my point of view, there appears to be a huge concern about folks attacking posting enemies. That concern has caused, in my opinion, an increase in retaliation on outlier (left leaning) voices. I witnessed it in the covid thread (luckily that has died down in the new thread) and I continue to see it in the US news thread. In both threads leftist voices were/are called fascists, trump supporters, and privileged for demanding more of the democratic party and liberal community leaders. The posters who dismissed the real concerns of leftist voices as nothing more than annoyances faced zero consequences. On the other hand, folks calling out liberals in a similar manner (example: "Liberals are nothing more than polite conservatives") are probated on sight.

My preference is that both parties are not probated. I personally enjoy a free flowing conversation as long as all parties involved have an open mind. However if probations are required to quell slap fights, then I'd like to see probations handed out evenly and consistently. The current 6 to 24 hours probations seems sufficient to me and is enough to calm things down in a thread.

Overall I'd prefer less probations and more consistency.

Other than that, I don't have any other issues. Keep up the good work mods. One thing EVERYONE should understand is that moderation sucks and, unless one is incredibly skilled and lucky, there are zero forms of moderation that will make everyone happy.

-Thoughts on D&D culture-

I don't feel the current D&D culture supports or encourages folks to have an open mind. I believe D&D would benefit from understanding that leftist political views are not direct attacks on other D&D posters. A poster who points out the inconsistencies stances of the democratic party and liberals on important issues (#metoo, healthcare, worker's rights, climate change, police/ICE, genocide, capitalism, imperialism, immigration, etc.) is not taking arms in the great posting war.

The concern about posting enemies, I feel, extends into the D&D culture. Personally, I believe folks that complain about CSPAM are doing nothing more than thread making GBS threads and folks should treat it as such. I've seen too many derails in threads where an ignore function would have been sufficient. The reverse is also true, but happens far less (Thunderdome thread being the exception). Posters in D&D that complain about other D&D posters is absurd and doesn't add value to the conversation.

This subforum, I feel, is a place to discuss political topics that are important enough to us that we spend a good portion of our time on a "dying" forum. We're adults who are old as poo poo. Forum wars and trolling is something all of us should have grown out of by now.

-Joke response-

I think anyone calling for longer probations and/or more bans should face the consequences they are demanding as punishment to others as a sacrifice for their beliefs before implementation ;)

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU