Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

1. Bring back posters who've been forum- or thread-banned. Punish those who whine about who should be forum- or thread-banned or just otherwise somehow make them loving shut up about their petty grudges.

2. Stop listening to the jerks organizing reporting swarms offsite. They're transparent as hell in their bizarre overreactive anger from feeding each others' victim mentality and need to be ignored. (See FoS's post on the first page of this thread.)

3. Mods need to stop making non-contextual threats; e.g.: "stop this right now" without citing or quoting the post they're referencing, because then mods use it as an amorphous cudgel to punish ideological enemies.

4. Either apply your rigorous "high-effort posting" requirements across the board or ditch it, instead of mods using it as amorphous cudgel to punish ideological enemies.

5. Define "shitposting," "trolling" & "bad faith" in more explicit terms instead of using them as amorphous cudgels to punish ideological enemies.

6. Stop asking bad mods who would make good mods, which only results in more bad mods. Get rid of the mods who can't be arsed to do any of 2-5 above.

Basically, apply the rules fairly & transparently. This is the metric that should be used in mod selection & retention, as it is across most successful forums on the internet, and across other forums on SA.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

You know what would help this thread even more? If CG followed the first principle of facilitating discussion between those with power & those without: Shut Up & Listen if you belong to the former.

This isn't the thread for him to throw his weight around, to argue about political topics, or to respond to every critique (however many) directed at him or dnd.

Every time he allows his ego to mash those buttons in reply to someone giving a feedback or suggestion in the feedback/suggestion thread he buttresses the argument that he's incompetent to mod.

If modding is NBD and he can take it or leave it as he says, he should leave it. Step down. We can throw him a going-away party like we do with toxic coworkers & say nice things that we don't mean. Thank You for Your Service but your time here is done.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Like, Willa complains that D&D is the "let's laugh at chuds" forum, and sometimes it is, but like, what if I want to laugh at chuds? Again, I feel like the problem is that people are taking D&D much more seriously than it deserves to be taken.

How about a "laugh at chuds" thread then?

I just don't see the utility in posting about conservative randos bc (1) in a country of 300 million there are a lot of assholes, and there's always going to be someone somewhere doing dumb poo poo; and (2) it's not news that someone somewhere is doing dumb poo poo in a country of 300 million.

Meanwhile, there's a ton of poo poo happening that's going to affect people in ways more important to 300 million of them than Dumbass Says or Does a Thing.

I mean, it's obvious why Dem party functionaries want to concentrate on that instead of meeting voters' needs. But it's not news that impacts people in any sense of the word, and it's used as a distraction for news that does impact people.

eta:

quote:

To be clear (this is a common misconception), there's nobody in D&D who doesn't criticize Democrats. We just openly want them to win elections, and we get sad when they don't. I think that's okay and I think there should be a space on this website to discuss things through that framing, because it's a very common political outlook here (and probably the lens through which a lot of SA users would prefer to discuss politics, going by, say, the GBS Trump thread.)

People in usnews have claimed that others pointing out news that's less than celebratory toward Dems is trolling, toxic, a schtick, depresses Dem turnout, helps the GOP, reveals one as a Trump voter, and causes posters extreme mental distress.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 26, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

OK, well, gently caress 'em? Who cares? Literally almost everything you post in USNews is "less than celebratory towards Dems," you post in that thread a lot more than I do, and you get less probations than I do. Where's the problem?

I mean, people can keep doing the point-n-laff thing, and I'll keep talking about stuff I find meaningful & pointing out the stupidity of being easily distracted by the daily schadenfreude.

I've never reported a post like that, and don't think it's probation-worthy. I just think it's stupid. You're making a bigger deal out of this than I ever did.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, I'm the one being the martyr in this, lol.

The only probation I've ever cited as blatantly unfair (in the post-ew era) was the week I got for making a joke about Hunter's military service in the war on drugs.

And I didn't even complain to the mods about it or try to get it rescinded, bc it was just one more hilarious entry on my rap sheet, which speaks for itself.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Question for mods: Are there any reasons to not have 10-minute slow rolls for threads like usnews, or across dnd altogether?

That would seem to allow people to not get drawn into slapfighting, facilitate cooldowns, and react less emotionally.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fool of sound posted:

The reason for this was that we implemented it at the time USpol, but it was widely unpopular so we turned it back off.

How long ago was this, and how long was it tried? What were the main objections to it?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I didn't think it had much utility compared to checking rapsheets. Reviewing a rapsheet takes only somewhat more effort than checking a list.

also if I miss one odds are very good a vindictive goon will remind me via either report or PM, so that's handy

lmao, if this doesn't sum this poo poo up.

For all the reductio ad absurdum stuff that people lob around here, from "wailing & rending garments" to "frothing anger," it's these thin-skinned assholes that are truly the wailing & frothing.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fool of sound posted:

There are very fine wailers and frothers on both sides, believe me. We get plenty of reports from our cspam crossover posters.

Oh, no doubt.

But the forum/thread bans are as ideologically lopsided as the other punishments are, and it's amusing to think of people mashing the report button to tattle to teacher that they forgot to punish so-and-so like they said they were going to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Why was a post from the Blow thread used as an example of actionable content? Was the thread some sort of secret honeypot?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

If I thought it did I would say it did. Again, this is my main complaint with D&D that it's impossible to ever have what you say taken in earnest. It is always assumed there is a motive or a lie.

that's because you're doing "bad faith" "trolling" while "acting like an rear end in a top hat," according to the subjective judges & juries.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

As far as Reade/Biden, this is what I wrote in the Me Too thread:

quote:

The perps are the ones who need to be named & shamed, not voters, as well as the media who cover for the perps, and the organizational entities who try to shift the naming & blaming onto accusers instead of the perps, and the female political leaders who try to dismiss the acts of the perps through pinkwashing and thus serve as cover for the perps.

I, personally, won't knowingly vote for rapists for political office, but I can totally understand why others believe that they have to, especially when they *do* believe in moral relativism.

I don't think it's puritanical (nor is it a purity test) to make this choice for myself.

and I still p. much feel that way.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

It's a good opinion and post.

it was spurred by some of the same black-and-white-cartoon thinking we see in this thread ("vitalsigns supported taliban rape!") when it arose in the me-too thread.

and I think it's a clue to one of the bigger problems in dnd, inasmuch as "you're with us or against us" reflexive & reductionist thinking/posting tends to shut down opposing points of view when they're outside the narrow range of acceptable opinion that dominates liberal u.s. political discourse--or, as is common in dnd as well as outside of SA, equating the far right with the far left.

maybe it's a natural progression that arose from twitter burns and/or hyperpartisanship, but I think this forum, as well as the country at large, are worse off for it. I'd like to think most people outgrew the idea that everything comes down to Good Guys vs. Bad Guys by the time they're old enough to go to kindergarten, but I imagine that the political utility of distilling thought like a 3 yr old outweighs any damage to those who perpetuate it.

eta: Cefte wore it better.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 29, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

How are you not doing the exact thing you are railing against here by putting everyone in D&D in some box.

Because I'm not demanding that other posters mirror my views or demand that they leave because their views make me feel uncomfortable.

Like Lib & Let Lib Die, I enjoy reading a variety of views; they help shape my own. I enjoy arguing against some of those views; they help firm my own beliefs. I also am gratified when posters say I helped shape their own political beliefs, or helped them see a new angle on a topic, just as others have done to shape my own beliefs.

I don't call for harsher punishments of those with whom I merely disagree; I don't use blanket, amorphous, undefined metrics as reasons they need to leave this forum because it'd make me feel more comfortable to not be challenged in my views; and I don't pick out people & follow them from thread to thread to hound them or demand that they answer me according to their personal scale of What Constitutes Posting I Accept.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 29, 2021

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This is why the "why can't everyone just casually/politely discuss politics" stuff doesn't make any sense. "Casual/friendly politics chat" among liberals includes the understanding that Republicans are stupid and bad and that electing Democrats is important. It's only casual/friendly under the assumption that you're talking with people who share your worldview; a Republican likely wouldn't consider it to be casual and friendly. You'd obviously have a very hard time somehow enforcing a USNews thread where people weren't allowed to show contempt towards chuds. In the same way, "casual/friendly politics chat" among leftists includes beliefs that are dismissive/offensive towards Democrats/liberals. For some reason many people seem incapable of comprehending that someone could genuinely have such a perspective and aren't simply acting out of a desire to troll the libs (this is probably also why you have some people who believe the succ zone thread exists entirely as a staging ground for making attacks on D&D or something similarly bizarre - the idea that this could just be the normal way we talk about this stuff seems to be incomprehensible to them).

Really great points (as well as presentation), and they're a good summary of the crux of the tension as well as of the underlying philosophies of how to control it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

fool of sound posted:

I want more people to participate in non-USNews discussion and am willing to experiment to make that happen. The things I'm not willing to do are:
---just let everything happen in USNews indefinitely (though I'm open to letting conversations go on longer)
---compelling posters to post in threads that they do not want to

If you have any ideas that might improve matters I'm all ears. I'm strongly considering turning back on the post timer for USNews right now.

* Post timer is a good idea.

* I liked the idea some made for monthly iterations; that might cut down on people raging about something posted 20 pages & three weeks ago.

* Don't try to force interest in other discussions; it'll happen organically from those interested in other discussions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

I forget, what were the issues with having a pure newsfeed thread (only posting tweets and links/excerpts of articles with little discussion) and a separate USNews chat/discussion thread? I know that was tried but I don't recall how well it worked.

What is the utility--or even the draw--of having a :justpost: thread that precludes responses?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jazerus posted:

i also bring it up because it's relevant today - d&d continues to have this modding style where the "thread consensus" is effectively protected because people who don't agree with it, by the very fact that they don't agree, are seen as trolling the people who do agree. personally i think this dynamic is bad.

This is a sentiment that's been echoed by many throughout this thread, so I hope that mods pay extra attention to it, instead of continuing to use "bad faith" as a blanket excuse to punish those with whom they disagree.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah "disagreeing with the thread consensus" usually comes with a bullshit misleading Hill link or straight up no evidence at all, that's why it gets shot down.

This, on the other hand, is a great example of shitposting that adds nothing to the conversation & instead feeds into victim narratives & forums wars.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

sure, that's still a good example of how many of the most prominent and prolific dnd posters are obviously leftists though

Just lmao given the offsite swarm's efforts to have me thread-banned and/or forum-banned.

eta: And their success as far as vitalsigns.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yinlock posted:

One major issue is that liberals and leftists have some big and very irreconcilable core ideological differences, which gets compounded by many liberals identifying as leftist(and labeling leftists as fringe extremists) and can end up with new leftists thinking they're liberals and oh lord it's a huge clusterfuck.

Not helping is the consistent labeling of these core differences as petty disagreements, like the weird "strange that you dislike someone who agrees with you on most things" arguments

I don't actually know how to sort though that tangle though, it's a fuckin mess

Want to repost this portion of a prior response, bc it really lays out the issue clearly:

Ytlaya posted:

The best example of this is the fact that someone could make the exact same posts in the succ zone thread and USNews and only be perceived as "acting like an rear end in a top hat" in the latter (with the reasoning that they should have known that their opinions would annoy/anger other posters in that context). In the same way as a liberal USNews poster has an understanding of politics that results in their casual chat being dismissive or mocking towards Republicans/Trump supporters, the same is true for leftists, only with the umbrella also encompassing Democrats/liberals. So there's a fundamental conflict between genuine views; just like a liberal USNews poster isn't posting in "bad faith" when they talk about disliking chuds, the same is true for some leftist who dislikes your average liberal.

This is why the "why can't everyone just casually/politely discuss politics" stuff doesn't make any sense. "Casual/friendly politics chat" among liberals includes the understanding that Republicans are stupid and bad and that electing Democrats is important. It's only casual/friendly under the assumption that you're talking with people who share your worldview; a Republican likely wouldn't consider it to be casual and friendly. You'd obviously have a very hard time somehow enforcing a USNews thread where people weren't allowed to show contempt towards chuds. In the same way, "casual/friendly politics chat" among leftists includes beliefs that are dismissive/offensive towards Democrats/liberals. For some reason many people seem incapable of comprehending that someone could genuinely have such a perspective and aren't simply acting out of a desire to troll the libs (this is probably also why you have some people who believe the succ zone thread exists entirely as a staging ground for making attacks on D&D or something similarly bizarre - the idea that this could just be the normal way we talk about this stuff seems to be incomprehensible to them).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

500 good dogs posted:

If no one sees the troll, they won't successfully derail the conversation, which means no damage is done, so who cares?

Yeah, somehow I don't think it's underreporting of trolling that's the problem, as opposed to using a clear definition of it or applying it evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'll need to know who that landlord voted for before I pass final judgment. :raise: