Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

anime of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

if you aren't pumped watching bojji concuss bad guys with little baby punches and split boulders with rapiers then luckily The Power Of Friendship is well represented in other anime

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

readingatwork posted:

I mean, I am. Obviously. However you loose something when you set up a very grounded, real world set of obstacles for a character (in this case physical disabilities) and then circumvent them through unrealistic means. The compelling question this series asked early on is "How will this particular kid succeed in a world where physical strength is regarded above all else?" and the answer the show came up with is "Well most of those limitations didn't truly exist in the first place, he just needed the right teacher" which isn't an answer you can relate to or apply outside of this show's reality because in the real world disabilities are worked around, not overcome. In taking this path the show gets the opportunity for some genuinely cool action scenes, but looses some of it's thematic punch in the process which isn't a trade I'd have made personally.

Disclaimer: Giving a character a disability and then "overcoming" it by just taking it away is one of my pet peeves in fiction so this probably bugs me more than most people. It's a way of structuring a story that's intended to be inspiring but is in fact quite demoralizing because the hurdles people with limitations face are never honestly engaged with. It's like telling a kid with dyslexia "Don't worry my boy, eventually you'll find a magic wishing rock and become THE BEST at spelling! Then you'll be able to finally make that novel you've been wanting to write!"

yeah I feel you. I've just been roped in bad emotionally and I want bojji to rip poo poo up.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

fairlight posted:

There’s also no shortage of ridiculous kung fu movie style secret fighting techniques in other anime too

If this was true I think I would have heard of those animes

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

fairlight posted:

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not but bojji’s technique is basically just fist of the north star

thanks ill check it out

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

loving the show but what is going on with this pacing

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

we're back baby!!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat man just put him back in jail

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

god drat what an episode

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

uh how old is daida

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

also bosse man stick with giant women, jesus. how does that even work.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I want more :(

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

See you all in five years

remember to be kind and believe in urselves like boji, thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

weird few eps so far