Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
here's my recs:

read some old Agatha Christie Poirot or Marple novels. or buy the Sherlock Holmes omnibus and read the whole drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

gleebster posted:

Try The Brothers Karamazov.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to re-write a parable for people to take notice and become what I did not writ.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Also I liked Suttree more than Blood Meridian. But maybe because Suttree lives the life I wish I had chosen.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i have read many many books and would like to read many many more

one of my faves is 'heart of a dog' by bulgakov

my fave type of book is short story collections and anthologies stuff like that. short stories are like literary m&ms that you can gobble by the handful

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dee eight posted:

my fave type of book is short story collections and anthologies stuff like that. short stories are like literary m&ms that you can gobble by the handful

Nathan Ballingrud's 2 short story collections are extremely good and got talked about a bunch in tbb

Evenson's Song for the Unraveling of the World was also pretty good

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 23, 2021

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

BigBadSteve posted:

A Confederacy Of Dunces, if you haven't read it yet.

If you're reading GBS you absolutely should read this, it's practically a companion piece.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

w/r/t Vonnegut i mostly like his books that feature his character Kilgore Trout, although i didn't enjoy SH5 all that much

my favorites of his are Breakfast of Champions and Timequake

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my first Vonnegut was Sirens of Titan and I was like 13 and I thought Malachi was pronounced how it looks lol. I still can't read the word correctly years later because that book burned so hard in to my brain.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

During the start of covid me and some bros started a book club for something to do while locked down.

We read Ubik by Philip K. Dick first and gently caress it was amazing and I'd recommend everyone read it.
Then we read Waiting for the Barbarians by J. M. Coetzee which was interesting but pretty hosed up.
We we tried to get our Vonnegut on with Player Piano and that's when the club kinda died out, with someone of us not even finishing it (I did not)

I'm currently (very slowly) reading a libertarian walks into a bear - Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling and it's a good loling about how dumb libertarians are.
I think I found out about it in the trump thread or something. It's a good read so far but I've had a hard time just sitting down and reading anything lately.

BOOKS!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Spinz posted:

Dune
Rise and Fall of the third Reich by Speer
War and Peace

Shirer’s Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is one I’ve read every so often since I was around 7 years old. My school had it and the Time-Life WW2 series and that’s how I became a history nerd.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Macnult posted:

my favorites of his are Breakfast of Champions and Timequake

I honestly forgot it was a book. When I was a teen I had a trip that ended with someone putting on an old VHS copy of it.
Maaaaaaaannnnn.... till you're dead it's all life.

This book is the reason that I respond to people who ask me how I'm doing with "I ain't dead yet".

Hahaha! Look what I just found!
Please dont report it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWBgs5_vZg4

Solvent fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 23, 2021

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I agree with Vonnegut's own assessment and rate Breakfast of Champions a C. One of my least favourites, but it has been so long I can't remember specifically why. Too self-referential?
Mother Night and Cat's Cradle are A+, Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, and Slaughterhouse 5 are about a A.
For me, from memory, anyway. Maybe if I reread them now I would rate them differently.

But even though Vonnegut is one of my favourites, I found Catch-22 a much stronger book than Slaughterhouse 5.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

stratdax posted:

I agree with Vonnegut's own assessment and rate Breakfast of Champions a C. One of my least favourites, but it has been so long I can't remember specifically why. Too self-referential?
Mother Night and Cat's Cradle are A+, Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, and Slaughterhouse 5 are about a A.
For me, from memory, anyway. Maybe if I reread them now I would rate them differently.

But even though Vonnegut is one of my favourites, I found Catch-22 a much stronger book than Slaughterhouse 5.

catch-22 is one of my all time favorite books. Could not get through the sequel. Tried multiple times

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Szyznyk posted:

Shirer’s Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is one I’ve read every so often since I was around 7 years old. My school had it and the Time-Life WW2 series and that’s how I became a history nerd.

it's a good read. the bizarre homophobia from Shirer is jarring tho

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

catch-22 is one of my all time favorite books. Could not get through the sequel. Tried multiple times

The sequel was pretty bad. Had none of the charm of catch-22

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
All right. New topic. I am still unsure what the hell happened in American Gods. Great book, I love it. Nothing Shadow did made any difference. It was just a weird story told by a weird guy

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Catch 22 also probably my favourite ever. Tried reading a few other Heller books and they are all pretty bad

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Murdstone posted:

Wow I did not know that. I loved those books back in the 90s.

They're both dead and according to this any money from sales will go to Reed College in Portland though.

thanks for letting me know

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm reading the second half of the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. I bought the first half in 2011, and it took me ten years to get through it. Not because i don't like it nor am I a dummy, I just kept getting distracted by other books. So ok, i said I'm not a dummy but this book is kinda hard to read, luckily it's really caught my attention now so I'm cruising through the second half.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm reading the second half of the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. I bought the first half in 2011, and it took me ten years to get through it. Not because i don't like it nor am I a dummy, I just kept getting distracted by other books. So ok, i said I'm not a dummy but this book is kinda hard to read, luckily it's really caught my attention now so I'm cruising through the second half.

don't keep us in suspense. Is it any good?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Its pretty good imo but I really don't recommend taking long breaks like that from it. Its definitely a confusing book and you kinda need to read it twice to get the most out of it. Apparently the publishers forced wolfe to write a coda to the series to explain things but it didn't help readers at all. Its definitely not a Turn your brain off airport fiction kind of thing

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Almost done with The Book of the New Sun, it's been very fun to read, if weird

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Read a book, read a book, read a motherfuckin' book.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

don't keep us in suspense. Is it any good?

It is really good but I find myself getting lost a lot, and the main character will bring up something that happened earlier and half the time I'm like "did that happen?" and press forward. I definitely shouldn't have taken so many breaks but other books kept calling my name.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I really like hibakusha literature. Anything by Hara Tamiki is really good, also The Crazy Iris.

I like Infinite Jest but have read it too much.

A couple good Chinese books in English are Pow! by Mo Yan and Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian.

We Need to Talk About Kevin ('s weird balls) was a way better book than a movie. It's so good.

Tao Lin loving sucks. Dave Eggers loving sucks.

I like Jonathon Franzen.

The Gulag Archipelago is a hard read but worth it. Same with Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i forgot where i found it but i pirated a translated copy of the Ring series of novels and theyre loving insane and well worth a read

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've always wanted to read Parasite Eve but never have.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zeluth posted:

Anything with a mind-reading telepatch who is dead but not in this time line and really has a thing about vampires.

But it has to have a spooky cover.

It is funny how the first book is just guy who can talk to ghosts fighting a vampire and then the sequel is all what about a whole planet of vampires?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Sid Vicious posted:

i forgot where i found it but i pirated a translated copy of the Ring series of novels and theyre loving insane and well worth a read

I am interested in this

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Revins posted:

I am interested in this

The first book is pretty basic but actually goes into the physiological way the ghost tape actually kills a person. Eventually the series turns into The Matrix.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't read that much but i really liked this one non fiction book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. It's basically all about dead bodies and what happens to them. It's obviously a bit gross and gruesome but also fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

im reading THE SPIRIT by thomas page

a sasquatch punches a dudes head off in it lol