Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

runnypoops posted:

I work in an outta the way pot shop that doesn’t get much traffic, with business even slower because of the time of year I have tons of downtime. Now instead of spending this downtime cleaning, doing inventory or any of the tasks Im supposed to do I read books. I am currently reading Slaughterhouse Five and not really liking it, Vonnegut is kinda boring :(

Seeing as allot of you goons seem well read and way chiller than the actual book forum Imma ask for some recommendations. Some books I’ve read recently that i like were Discworld Seawolf by Jack London and Blood Meridian. also you can just shitpost in this thread and not recommend anything, thats cool too.

I love Vonnegut but I would never suggest starting with Slaughterhouse Five, that's him at his Vonnegutiest.
Try Mother Night (! definitely especially read this regardless), Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, Cat's Cradle, and then Slaughterhouse Five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I agree with Vonnegut's own assessment and rate Breakfast of Champions a C. One of my least favourites, but it has been so long I can't remember specifically why. Too self-referential?
Mother Night and Cat's Cradle are A+, Galapagos, Sirens of Titan, and Slaughterhouse 5 are about a A.
For me, from memory, anyway. Maybe if I reread them now I would rate them differently.

But even though Vonnegut is one of my favourites, I found Catch-22 a much stronger book than Slaughterhouse 5.