Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
did his video come out yet? hasn't he spent two weeks at this point trying and failing to upload a video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Kale posted:

Like as a great example of this era and the thinking that went into burying Japanese games for half a generation, I still remember in like 2012 when Reggie Fils-Aime totally forgot at an E3 that they were supposed to run a promo when people were wondering if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to get an English release. Like just completely slipped his and the presenters mind that they were supposed to be marketing this game or even mention it's existence as a localization and some interviewer had to ask him about it afterward. Does anyone realistically think they would miss an opportunity to market a Fire Emblem game now in 2021? That's the surest sign of how things have changed.

Similar stuff happened with Xenoblade Chronicles, though that was more Nintendo actively blocking the game from release because of sales concerns. A strange period for Japanese publishers. Of course, digital distribution hadn't taken off quite as much back then.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Jesus Christ the one goon talked about $17000 worth of internet dick sucking so I was compelled to look and by god this guy really does make $200k a year to jerk himself off into the void.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bloodysabbath posted:

Jesus Christ the one goon talked about $17000 worth of internet dick sucking so I was compelled to look and by god this guy really does make $200k a year to jerk himself off into the void.

it wouldn't be so bad if he had put out literally anything at all in the past 9 months. i really don't know what anyone is thinking who is currently one of his patreon supporters. if you like throwing money at insane people so much, i have a venmo

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Close this thread

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

omg chael crash posted:

Close this thread

Can't. It's Monday, now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't mind omg chael crash he is full blown retired from video games.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

omg chael crash posted:

Close this thread

it's currently closing. it'll be closed by 6pm EST, for sure.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
how good would this cyberpunk review have to be to be worth the wait? Would it have to be the best thing he's ever done?

What if part of the bit is that when it finally does release its totally borked with lovely graphics and audio glitches and wont even play on sub modern equipment

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
if there even is a video...

1. it's just another T-Rog video. it's longer and stuff but it's just him talking about Cyberpunk and the games it was influenced by. it's the best thing he's done... by default (little inside baseball joke for you fellow Rog-Heads out there)

2. it's something completely else. like, it's an actual movie or something.

i'm leaning towards 1

but i'm also, at this point, fully serious about there not being a video.

i mean, this is Just Some Dude. he could be going through some really weird existential breakdown, for which he's paying lots of money to psychiatrists, and he feels like he has to keep lying to keep his Patreon money flowing

but like... there really isn't any way there is a video now. if there is, then he is incompetent to the point of malice towards the very people giving him money. he didn't even bother to tweet anything about the video coming out at 6 today, he just said it in Discord apparently. like, lmao.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Video's gonna kick rear end. Haters gonna get btfo.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
My first exposure to Tim was watching the Doom review, and I thought it was interesting watching the whole history of the game and Id. But half-way through, I stopped to watch a different review, and I was weirded out by the way he talked. I figured his weird deep, kinda stilted mode of talking was an affectation to mirror the macho, edgy temperament of Doom comics & media. But he kept talking that way. And then I checked out one of the videos he made for Kotaku (maybe the FF7 stuff?), he talked like a normal human! So... that's just how he wants to talk in reviews. And it really makes you feel each hour of the review.

I didn't really dislike the reviews I watched, but at a certain point in each, I just became detached from whatever topic he segued into, and then wanted to stop watching. I don't get if people genuinely like watching his videos, or are just fascinated by his... methodology?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I can't believe tim's video will be out in just 5 and ½ hours. Bingo

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

*shotgun sound*

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
It's pretty funny seeing people bounce off Tim's schtick being introduced to him through his Kotaku videos, considering the video essays are massively toned down compared to his past output. I can only imagine the indignance if people who hate him now that he's making Patreon bux read his old essays or forum diarrhea from the "pre-toning it down" era. I think he's always been funny in context to what gaming journalism generally is, which is turning in boring video game book reports you scrambled to write last minute so you don't get grounded by your Gaming Daddy (sponsors) while trying to sneak some bits of criticism in there.

I'd rather watch Tim Rogers half-earnestly waffle about how the itemization in Cyberpunk reminds him of when he ate an ice cream cone and poo poo his pants in front of his Japanese Girlfriend for ten hours than watch literally any review tbh

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blankspace posted:

I'd rather watch Tim Rogers half-earnestly waffle about how the itemization in Cyberpunk reminds him of when he ate an ice cream cone and poo poo his pants in front of his Japanese Girlfriend for ten hours than watch literally any review tbh

Wait how'd you get an advance copy of the video

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Harrow posted:

Wait how'd you get an advance copy of the video

The Tim Rogers is coming from inside the thread.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
The posters with an irrational hatred of Tim Rogers must be extra angry that general consensus on him has come around since he made the pivot to video.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Kale posted:

:lol: I 100% totally remember this era too (like 2010-2015 or so).....

More than just gaming news sites I was also thinking of IIRC fellow obnoxious hipsters like Jon Blow and Phil Fish (who at least made some decent games) making a lot of loud pronouncements in interviews about how Japanese games are dead.
Speaking of indie game development I like how Tim "made" a couple of games where he was just an "ideas guy" who didn't do any programming, art, etc which seems pretty unheard of in indie games development, and did a big solo talk about it at GDC.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think the other action button videos have good parts but the tokimeki one is the first to achieve overall good video status. The video that's definitely coming out today will be the true test of fully unleashed by patreon tim I feel

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

is this the guy who talks weird or the other guy with the circle glasses and curly hair who's kinda twinky-cute and does twee videos

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it's the weird talking stilted guy. anyone know who I'm thinking of? he looks like he should be named Tim rogers but he's a different annoying video game video personality

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

is this the guy who talks weird or the other guy with the circle glasses and curly hair who's kinda twinky-cute and does twee videos

Both of those are tim OP

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

duomo posted:

The posters with an irrational hatred of Tim Rogers must be extra angry that general consensus on him has come around since he made the pivot to video.

My dislike of timmy boy is 100% rational and people on youtube have terrible taste so those people liking him just confirmed hes awful

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i found it and I'm thinking of Brian Davis Gilbert.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I just watched two minutes of a Tim rogers video and wanted to blow my brains out. Instead of saying I turned 40 he said eleven months ago I crossed the threshold into the much ballyhooed fourth decade. two minutes into a three hour long video.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if like me you are getting bored waiting on Tim's Cyberpunk review then don't fret, theres plenty of previous work of his on youtube - listening to a fascinating review of Bioshock Infinite atm

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i found it and I'm thinking of Brian Davis Gilbert.

He makes videos that are both funny and about games, which puts him in a different league entirely

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Control Volume posted:

He makes videos that are both funny and about games, which puts him in a different league entirely

Tim's Let's Mosey series was at least half about Final Fantasy VII.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

tim is the inventor of the vapor-review so you at least have to give him credit for that

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Control Volume posted:

I agree he does make content about games but he is very much not funny

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Tim Rogers released a game called ZiGGURAT for Apple iOS devices in the year two thousand and twelve. It was well received critically, and if you ask me it was a pretty fun and stylish game. Unfortunately I never got to see the “nine hours of scripted events” he promised in his cross-promotional “review” of Angry Birds, because soon:

* an update to the game would remove all the (also much-vaunted in the pitch) leaderboards and achievements
* the launch of iOS 11 would break the game completely on up-to-date devices, requiring a 64-bit patch that never came
* Tim would let the Apple developer account lapse, removing ZiGGURAT from the App Store completely (even for people who had already purchased and wanted to redownload it on a pre-iOS 11 device)

Most likely he abandoned ZiGGURAT to turn his attention to VIDEOBALL, a game he hyped for so many years that everybody lost interest by the time it released with completely broken online multiplayer (as in, it just didn’t work). Tim delivered a post-mortem on the reasons this game didn’t take off, but for some reason “launching it broken” wasn’t one of them.

This is all to say that I look forward to his upcoming game TRUCKHECK even though it could be rendered non-functional at any point before or after launch, and I’ll watch the Cyberpunk video at 1080p on my lovely iPad mini when it comes out, but it’s nothing new for ol’ Timmy to catastrophically whiff the technical fundamentals because his great big brain was just too laser-focused on some other inconsequential minutiae. I hope he works up the courage to say a swear one day

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Tim's vids are quality art critique.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tim just sent out a Patreon update. Turns out the video does in fact exist. He's doing a live premier on twitch tomorrow.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If the only way I can experience Tokimeki Memorial's mainline series is through 6 hour let's plays then I'll do it. Twice! I first watched it when it released, and I rewatched it just a few days ago. I just really wanna play TM2.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tim Rogers was never making GBS threads on Japanese games - he literally lived in Japan and worked in the games industry there for years. Perhaps people are thinking of Phil Fish, who had a similar personal style and hipster sensibility?

Anyway, I used to be the biggest Tim hater. I hated his obscenely overlong and over self-regarding essays, and I hated the way he constantly humblebragged about living in Japan, being in bands, living an outrageously cool-sounding life, being in the Japanese game industry and rubbing shoulders with various famous name, the whole thing. To be honest, I still think I was right about all that.

But with his descent into Kotaku videogramming I did a full 180 on him. He’d clearly mellowed out a lot and the videos made it clear the context had changed:

- Video made it a lot clearer that his tongue was firmly in his cheek and he didn’t hold himself in as high a regard as it seemed.
- Him going from AAA game dev in Japan to making videos for Kotaku implied a colossal career implosion, making him far more relatable
- The graphics and editing he uses are some of the best on YouTube.
- Having to produce videos acts as something of an editor on him (lol this didn’t pan out in the long term!)

Anyway, I recommend you haters give him another try. You’ll be Timheads yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no again he misses a ton of the best stuff in tokimeki. like the main girl's best friend's stats are all literally right below the stat requirements for the main girl, so she exists solely to gently caress you over if your stats are even a single point below the thresholds for the main girl. thats incredibly funny.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/108/status/1452763725237301264

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

He talked about the main girl's friend's role as a spoiler at some length. Maybe there are some other good examples but that one seems like splitting hairs