Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Tim Rogers released a game called ZiGGURAT for Apple iOS devices in the year two thousand and twelve. It was well received critically, and if you ask me it was a pretty fun and stylish game. Unfortunately I never got to see the “nine hours of scripted events” he promised in his cross-promotional “review” of Angry Birds, because soon:

* an update to the game would remove all the (also much-vaunted in the pitch) leaderboards and achievements
* the launch of iOS 11 would break the game completely on up-to-date devices, requiring a 64-bit patch that never came
* Tim would let the Apple developer account lapse, removing ZiGGURAT from the App Store completely (even for people who had already purchased and wanted to redownload it on a pre-iOS 11 device)

Most likely he abandoned ZiGGURAT to turn his attention to VIDEOBALL, a game he hyped for so many years that everybody lost interest by the time it released with completely broken online multiplayer (as in, it just didn’t work). Tim delivered a post-mortem on the reasons this game didn’t take off, but for some reason “launching it broken” wasn’t one of them.

This is all to say that I look forward to his upcoming game TRUCKHECK even though it could be rendered non-functional at any point before or after launch, and I’ll watch the Cyberpunk video at 1080p on my lovely iPad mini when it comes out, but it’s nothing new for ol’ Timmy to catastrophically whiff the technical fundamentals because his great big brain was just too laser-focused on some other inconsequential minutiae. I hope he works up the courage to say a swear one day

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

his main camera appears to have been out of focus the whole time. gotta watch it in 4K though

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

The writing is fantastic as always, but even for Tim Rogers's Tim Rogersing by Tim Rogers, I don't see why he had to hold his breath for the 4K version. His monologue footage is either 1080p or badly out of focus--when you see him cut to his own old footage of the FF7R review, it looks right. It's kinda distracting.

If it's a bit, and he goes Properly Ultra High Definition by the end, I am sending him a hundred dollars immediately.
it’s badly out of focus, even in ten hundred and eighty P. the side camera — or “B” camera — is in focus

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

If anyone’s curious about Tim’s unpublished novels (one of which apparently gets alluded to at the end of the Cyberpunk review), he goes into exacting detail about his exacting formula for what he considers to be “a novel” here.

quote:

Chapter two tends to be three times as long as chapter one. I often think of chapter two as “the Wikipedia chapter”:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

I like Tim’s videos, but I bet his books that he insists he’ll never release are really bad.
You can get a pretty good idea of what they’re like from this manifesto — but I’ve already linked to that in this thread, so here also is some new relevant content:

https://www.destructoid.com/libble-rabble-hamster-arcade-archives-ps4-nintendo-switch-version/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Framboise posted:

I'm more amused that Tim was dropping any words that could be considered vulgar at all, considering how much he insists that he has not used any profanity ever after promising his mom that he wouldn't or something like that? He had said it in some video at some point. I guess even he had a time where he had to clean up his language.
I would rather break every promise I’ve ever made to my mother than say the word “badbutt” even one time