Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I know a guy that loves Tim Rogers basically because he's really obsessed with JRPG and Final Fantasy stuff. I just see him as that guy that makes 50+ minute videos or 50 paragraph post of non-sequitur commentary on the games he played as a kid that never seem to come around to any sort of greater or even smaller point and doing so in a really sarcastic sounding voice. I see him as more or less doing a bit where he sees how long he can make a post/video while still managing to avoid saying anything of any real substance or actually concise commentary about whatever he's talking about. If it's approaching something more in depth usually that's right around when he switches focus.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

tim rogers is cool and i enjoy his videos but i also enjoy when people are really mad about him

Well that's stupid.....

Item Getter posted:

I think it was back in the late 2000s PS3 era when everyone thought it was cool to poo poo on Japanese games.

:lol: I 100% totally remember this era too (like 2010-2015 or so) and Kotaku in particular leading this charge with articles on how JRPG's are dead. In reality what I see as happening in retrospect is that a lot of franchises just weirdly skipped the latter half of the PS3's existence, Publishers outright stopped releasing titles in certain franchises outside of Japan for several years because they seemed to think they were unmarketable or something, and/or most crippling IMO Sony forced a bunch of blip chip franchises or ones that were very successful early on in the PS3's lifespan onto the PSP or Vita exclusively to try to help bolster it's sales and it kind of sort of worked in Japan but clearly not enough and at a massive detriment to franchises fortunes on the PS3 and outside Japan.

Then the PS4 came along and after a few years JRPG's and Japanese games in general seemed to come roaring back with HD releases for the console a string of global hits that were actually marketed and released globally only for producers and lovely journalists to realize that the demand was actually quite substantial globally (provided you actually bothered to release stuff on consoles people actually own or god forbid PC as opposed to Vita exclusives) and boy did the Kotaku's of gaming journalism flip their position on the alive/dead status on JRPG's overnight clearly looking to get in on a slice of that pie. JRPG's are definitely hip and cool to write about and say good things about again and have possibly never been more trendy even. Some of those titles that got buried on the PSP/Vita seem to have gotten HD PS4 ports and a new lease on life now so that's pretty cool I guess.

I don't know man that period seemed like a self-fulfilled prophecy to me where bad limited release methods and choice of platform or no releases at all outside of Japan out of fear of poor sales kind of achieved the result on it's own. Like as a great example of this era and the thinking that went into burying Japanese games for half a generation, I still remember in like 2012 when Reggie Fils-Aime totally forgot at an E3 that they were supposed to run a promo when people were wondering if Fire Emblem Awakening was going to get an English release. Like just completely slipped his and the presenters mind that they were supposed to be marketing this game or even mention it's existence as a localization and some interviewer had to ask him about it afterward. Does anyone realistically think they would miss an opportunity to market a Fire Emblem game now in 2021? That's the surest sign of how things have changed.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU