Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tim Rogers was never making GBS threads on Japanese games - he literally lived in Japan and worked in the games industry there for years. Perhaps people are thinking of Phil Fish, who had a similar personal style and hipster sensibility?

Anyway, I used to be the biggest Tim hater. I hated his obscenely overlong and over self-regarding essays, and I hated the way he constantly humblebragged about living in Japan, being in bands, living an outrageously cool-sounding life, being in the Japanese game industry and rubbing shoulders with various famous name, the whole thing. To be honest, I still think I was right about all that.

But with his descent into Kotaku videogramming I did a full 180 on him. He’d clearly mellowed out a lot and the videos made it clear the context had changed:

- Video made it a lot clearer that his tongue was firmly in his cheek and he didn’t hold himself in as high a regard as it seemed.
- Him going from AAA game dev in Japan to making videos for Kotaku implied a colossal career implosion, making him far more relatable
- The graphics and editing he uses are some of the best on YouTube.
- Having to produce videos acts as something of an editor on him (lol this didn’t pan out in the long term!)

Anyway, I recommend you haters give him another try. You’ll be Timheads yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/108/status/1452763725237301264

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

take boat posted:

okay hold up. "first episode of the review"?

https://twitter.com/108/status/1451294582772310022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched it all and it was good. But there is a very weird Breath of the Wild hole in it. He talks so much about open world games and then barely mentions BotW, pretty much the most important open world game of recent years. Seemed like a very weird omission. Maybe it will get more talk in the review of an open world game he mentioned he’s working on - presumably LA Noire?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012