Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey we already have a Tim Rogers zone :colbert:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982320

(this one's actually just about video game videos in general so please do continue to argue and/or shitpost here if you like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blankspace posted:

I'd rather watch Tim Rogers half-earnestly waffle about how the itemization in Cyberpunk reminds him of when he ate an ice cream cone and poo poo his pants in front of his Japanese Girlfriend for ten hours than watch literally any review tbh

Wait how'd you get an advance copy of the video

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

take boat posted:

okay hold up. "first episode of the review"?

The Tokimeki review was divided into episodes so I'm guessing he's going to do a live premiere of the first part of the Cyberpunk review on Twitch but not all, like, however many hours of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For anyone for whom these Action Button reviews are a bit much, you might enjoy the FF7 translation discussion Rogers did back when he worked for Kotaku:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsiJPoHlPqEEA07AKMQ2Hm2oRLiGkR_uJ (playlist link)

He goes through disc 1 of the original FF7 and compares the Japanese and English scripts to talk about the kinds of choices that were made during localization, and it's really interesting stuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to promote the general Videos About Video Games thread I put together (partially to redirect Tim Rogers chat out of the chat thread so people who hate him don't have to see it). If there are video game-related channels you like and want to recommend, please head over there and post about them so I can add them to the list in the OP. Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've only watched the intro so far but it seems that yeah, he liked it, as an overall experience. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that but he does stress that he thinks there's a lot of good in it and that it's worth playing, even if there's also a lot of bad

He also said if you're strapped for time it's fine to just watch the conclusion video and skip the rest for what seems to be a more straightforward, 1-hour review of Cyberpunk 2077. I haven't watched that part yet because I'm going to play along with the "pick two parts to watch, then the conclusion" thing, but that's what he says at the end of the intro.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

Tim Rogers is cool and I like his video

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like I wasn't supposed to enjoy part 5 but I did anyway. Maybe that's a sign of just how much of a sucker I am for the whole Tim Rogers schtick, I dunno.

Also now I'm back in that familiar Action Button zone of "okay which part was bullshit and which part was the truth?" with the twist ending of part 5, where he claims he does in fact want you to watch the whole review and only said "pick two parts" to placate people who'd bellyache about the length, and also claims that the delays were on purpose just to make people mad on Twitter. Not too sure how much I believe any of that but it's a fun "twist" either way :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Walla posted:

I'm not even interested in the game but I'm kind of hooked on the presentation and the synopsis is fun.

That's definitely part of the Tim Rogers appeal. I think a lot of people ended up being shocked they watched a 6-hour video on Tokimeki Memorial and it was just because it was fun to watch Tim talk about it, and hell, by the end, maybe more people cared about Tokimeki Memorial (which was probably the goal).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

It is such a small thing, but my favourite, absolute favourite bits of Tim Rogers videos are when he says something and then uses the doom shotgun sound effect. Usually it punctuates a joke, sometimes for effect, but it always, always gets me. :)

Somehow it never gets old

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I watched the whole thing, as I am a criminal and also because Tim made it so that people would watch the whole thing and it was really good

I am very excited for season 2. So far he's already said he's reviewing Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV, and Boku no Natsuyasumi, and also an unnamed open world game that he played while reviewing CP2077 and ended up loving. All of those sound like really interesting topics and I'm really looking forward to them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah a lot of games people call "dating simulators" these days (including DDLC) are visual novels and don't have any simulation elements at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rinkles posted:

could someone link me the video where he talks about his pc? just curious about his build. i've played a lot of cyberpunk, but never finished it so hopefully he doesn't talk about the ending in that part.

I believe the detailed breakdown of the PC build is in the graphics video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KDg4qeoOM

I'm not sure if there are any major story spoilers in this one. If there are they'd just be in the background footage I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah social media is the worst, good for Tim.

I deleted my old Twitter account last year and it was extremely the right call. I ended up making a new one that I don’t tweet on at all and just use to get screen shots off my Switch and that is a much better use of Twitter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

tim is a streamer now, he has forsaken us

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can’t wait for the Final Fantasy IV/II review in 2025

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

:toot:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

LA Noire is such a weird choice because it’s not very good or particularly interesting but I’m sure he can make a compelling 10 hour video about it anyway

He did say last season that he thinks LA Noire is one of the best games ever made so I’m looking forward to his reasons.

Angryhead posted:

I nearly started tearing up at the end of the Kansas segment... and then laughed out loud at "and now it's time for "The Bottom Line" and hard cut to HBomb doing the "ad read"

I'm so glad he *did* go back to visit the grave :)

Same

The Kansas segment was surprisingly moving and I could easily see myself rewatching that part more than once. There was a lot to take in and I found it weirdly relevant to a lot of things I’ve been feeling myself.

And then the massive tonal shift into the bizarre hbomb ad read made me laugh out loud, it’s so good

Harrow fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 29, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here read his Final Fantasy VI essay from a couple years back? http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=3272

In a lot of ways the Boku no Natsuyasumi review feels like a thematic continuation of it or almost like a resolution to some of the feelings he talks about in the essay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah! It’s very good. He has a Kotaku FFVI vid where he repeats a lot of it. At the beginning of this stream I believe

https://youtu.be/0h_-JoSUFfQ

Oh neat. I haven't watched a lot of his Kotaku streams (or streams in general) but I'm gonna watch this one.

I'm excited for the FFIV review because I'll never get tired of hearing Tim talk about old JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jerkface posted:

boku no natsuyasumi